5.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on Series 9 & 10 plus news of Series 11& 12,
I have deleted my former review so that I can update the situation - sorry but they won't let me do two!

Published on 3 May 2008 by PatC

3.0 out of 5 stars series 9
I have been in contact with the BBC and what we thought was series 9 is really series 9 and 10. As on the BBC data base what is series 9 in the book is really series 9 and 10. They were shown back to back on the tv. So the book is wrong.
Published on 12 May 2008 by old foggy

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on Series 9 & 10 plus news of Series 11& 12,, 3 May 2008
PatC "PatC" (Doncaster, Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)

Having enquired directly of the company who produce the LSW DVDs - Universal Playback are just the distributors - I have discovered that what we saw on UK TV as 'Series 9' was actually Series 9 & 10, shown back-to-back, although they had been commisioned seperately - it was felt this would help promote Michael Aldridge as Seymour, the new 3rd man. Later releases on video seperated them out again and this was confirmed for the DVD releases - unfortunately without clarification.

I've been a LSW fan since the pilot and am a former co-editor of summer-wine.com, now unfortunately defunct, and the state of affairs re: the BBC and LSW series DVDs has caused a lot of concern for many fans - however, I can confirm the above facts have been confirmed by a senior LSW production member.

I can also confirm, direct from the producing company, that the DVDs due for issue late in December 2008 will contain the following episodes:

Last Of The Summer Wine Series 11:

TX Date 24/12/1988 Duration 060m 11s

Last Of The Summer Wine Xmas 89:

# Episode Title
01 WHAT'S SANTA BROUGHT FOR NORA, THEN? TX Date 23/12/1989 Duration 049m 45s

I hope this explains things satisfactorily - and I'm sure we all hope this means a faster turnaround of LSW DVDs - there are rumours of Series 13 & 14 in late Spring 2009 - no confirmation yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the facts Patrica, 27 May 2008
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
Here in New Zealand we haven't had to go through all the angst that has hit the UK, because the series were shown separately and a long time ago. We have existed on VCR tapes that have got worn out from repeated use. We are just absolutely delighted to be able to get them on DVD from Amazon because only Series 1 & 2 have appeared locally to date. I would give the series more than 5 stars if I could, as it has given us so much pleasure over the years. It's going to be a long wait till December for 11 & 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY FAVOURITE, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
What can one say about this whole series. Yes, I am in the throws of buying them all (except for the ones that Compo is not in anymore due to his untimely death), but I will be able to watch these until my untimely death. Thank God for someone who is so good at writing such great comedic sketches and for the people who acted in it as well as all of the other staff who have made this a great series to keep and treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
Marvellous as ever. Scripts and acting and characters are always superb and if you like this comedy series this one doesn't fail on anything. Great fun to watch and recommended to buy for your collection. I have 6 DVDs now but aim to get them all eventually. I am a big fan and still watch it on Drama or Yesterday on TV too every night

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes sense, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
What Old Foggy says makes sense. I went through the '30 Years of Summer Wine' book and see that series 9 was put out in 1986. In 1987 there was only one episode this being 'Big day at Dream Acres'. This is included in the newest 9 and 10 DVD. So if you substitute years for series we are straight. Series 11 and 12 which should be out in December this year will then begin with the 1988 episodes. Fingers crossed I am right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny indeed !, 29 May 2008
Mr. Mg Reynolds "Carry On fan" (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
This really was golden age stuff ! Dear old Wally Batty was still enduring marriage to Nora while Howard & Marina where funny in those days ! Crushers bone headed stupidity adds to the comically predictable chucking out that normally befalls Compo , Clegg and whoever the third man is when they over-step the mark in Ivy's cafe . Pearl brings a greater degree of menace & Thora Hird reminds us why the mid -late 1980's where such a joy on Sunday evenings ! If you where lucky you could see her twice - once in this fine TV show & again on Songs Of Praise . Michael Aldridge does a great job & the late great Mr Wharmby is super as the slightly eccentric car lover . All in all this is a treasure trove of great Yorkshire comedy - the Dallas micky during series 9 reminds us what a shame it was that Carry On Dallas was never filmed ! If Bill Owen and co could make us laugh gagging up the oil industry then I am sure that Kenneth Williams and the Carry On survivors could have cheered us all up no end . Nora & Wally , Compo & Clegg all still gel really well with Ivy ( the other survivor from the first series ). This marks Summer Wine moving from being the slightly dour & sombre comedy drama ( with a very small cast )during the Michael Bates era of 1973-75 to a sort of David Croft style farce with a bigger cast . It was touching to hear Ivy talking about visiting Sid's grave - John Comer was much missed after his very sad demise . He was only 59 when he died in early 1984 and made the earlier series of Summer Wine far funnier due to his banter with the reast of the cast . I am very grateful the pace of DVD release is being speeded up as recent Summer Wine episodes since after Compo's funeral have been pretty poor by comparison with what was filmed in the mid 1980's to lat 1990's . They have run out of ideas & Bill Owen's demise is for Summer Wine what the death of Sid James was for the Carry On's - both would have said the show must go on - trouble was their absence made the show in question a lot less enjoyable . I do not blame Roy Clarke for this at all as he has done superbly to keep us laughing for so long . The BBC have kept it going as they have yet to find a suitable replacement . Could the new Croft comedy Here Comes The Queen ! be what the doctor ordered ? The episodes dealing with Compo's death where great black comic irony - laughing in the face of death . Peter Sallis was right to commend Roy Clarke for his scripting efforts and the cast rose to the challenge and all deserve credit for that . It will be good for Summer Wine fans when we can see that on DVD as a mark of respect to the late great Bill Owen

Michael Aldridge was first class as Seymour - watching Compo pay the price of his batty inventions fail as Clegg looks on is a treat ! I thank Amazon.co.uk for selling this classic comedy at such a fair price & I look forward to future DVD releases ! A great buy to keep the blues away !

5.0 out of 5 stars King,s of comedy, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
Comedy doesn,t get any better than this. Once you see an episode you,ll soon be hooked.and looking for more. The real Yorkshire dales are captured superbly and the cast of characters are created by some of best actors and actresses this country has to offer. Three cheers for Compo,Cleggie and all.

3.0 out of 5 stars series 9, 12 May 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray!, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
Three cheers for Compo, Clegg, Seymour and their associates! Good clean fun, 'safe' to watch with any age group. Timeless comedy, with plenty of visual jokes, and some very sharp witticisms in the dialogue, especially from the quieter Mr Clegg. An excellent 3-disc set of DVD's, which will always provide viewing pleasure, containing as it does top-rate performances from so many excellent actors and actresses, the majority of which who are sadly no longer with us; these episodes will always be a wonderful reminder of their great talents. This set would make an ideal gift, and being fully subtitled is an added bonus. Very glad to have made the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars my all time favourite sit com., 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
now have all.but can't understand why they stopped at 23.you need to watch more then once,and you can listen to the writers wit and talent,i've found his humour,is rite up my st.

Last of the Summer Wine - Series 9 & 10 [1986] [DVD]