4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, violent but still imaginative and compelling writing.
Back Cover:
Published on 23 Oct. 2008 by Leontine's Book Realm

3.0 out of 5 stars Third in great series but rather weak on its own
Published on 10 Nov. 2008 by Helen Hancox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, violent but still imaginative and compelling writing., 23 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Faefever (Hardcover)
Back Cover:
He calls me his Queen of the Night. I'd die for him. I'd kill for him, too. When MacKayla Lane receives a torn page from her dead sister's journal, she is stunned by Alina's desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister's killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge. And for an ancient book of dark magic so evil, it corrupts anyone who touches it.

Mac's quest for the Sinsar Dubh takes her into the mean, shape-shifting streets of Dublin, with a suspicious cop on her tail. Forced into a dangerous triangle of alliance with V'lane, an insatiable Fae prince of lethally erotic tastes, and Jericho Barrons, a man of primal desires and untold secrets, Mac is soon locked in a battle for her body, mind, and soul.

As All Hallows Eve approaches and the city descends into chaos, as a shocking truth about the Dark Book is uncovered, not even Mac can prevent a deadly race of immortals from shattering the walls between worlds with devastating consequences.

Review:
The first hundred or so pages felt like dredging through mud as a lot of repetitive information is thrown at the reader. I remembered this also being a part of Bloodfever but this time it felt like torture of going through it all again and it bordered to becoming irritating. The pace fell flat with just a tiny morsel here and there of new information which kept me invested in Mac and her adventures by a thread. It was sheer stubbornness on my part that kept me going, until V'Lane and Barrons got more entangled into the storyline and spitting out some much needed information.

I've said it once, I've said it twice and I'll say it again, Karen Moning knows how to portray exceptionally fascinating characters that speaks to the imagination. Her world is dark, it is crowded with Fae, Druids, Sidhe Seers and it is a feast for the Urban Fantasy reader to dwell in. I feel that there is one downside though, the plot is slow, almost too slow, and while the second half of this story definitely picked up on speed it somewhat diminished the overall joy in reading this tale. The second half is where the information starts to flow and feels like Karen Moning is up to her usual moving writing style. Things start to happen and I got intrigued to see alliances shift and other ones align, but by then I was already a 125 pages into the story of the 300 it counts. It is like watching a chess game where characters make choices and travel a road less traveled to encounter unexpected oponents. With the main players a cloak of mystery is still surrounding them and I'm not saying many answers are provided but what is revealed definitely stirred my heart rate as to where this is all is going.

Mac is still clinging on to a shred of the fun loving, sun worshipping, southern belle she once was. She is in Dublin roaming its streets, requiring pieces of information and she has to make decisions. In essence she remains the same gal I met in Darkfever and Bloodfever, thrown in a world she still has to completely discover. Yet, Mac is also learning as she goes while 3 men have a greater effect on her with each passing event. Written from the first person it gave me a very intimate connection with Mac and this made the last few chapters all the more poignant. I could sympathize with Mac in her need to figure things out, the fear she felt or sometimes just flat out wanted to strangle Barrons for keeping such an aloof way of conduct.

Mac is the centre of Faefever but there are some memorable secondary characters surrounding her. I got to know V'Lane, the death-by-sex-fae better and perceived him from another perspective. Barrons, well, that man irks the life out of me. He is mysterious, dark, exudes an old world charm with lethal danger and oh, did I already mention he is mysterious. That man is more tight lipped about his past and who he is than an oyster is to reveal its pearl! I love him, I hate him and can't go without him in a Fever novel. And then there is he-who-shall-not-be-named. Due to spoilerish nature I will not say his name but he and his background become more important and I just loved it, loved him and hope his part in the overall story becomes even bigger.

There is also the tribe of Sidhe Seers that contribute to this tale and I can't figure out where they stand, especially the matron of the bunch feels like she has ulterior motives yet to be explained. In the end the plot bolts into a higher gear and had a few `jump of the pages' moments that had me succumbed to those last few chapters. If you want a sense of completion than don't pick up Faefever for it will leave you hanging with the singular desire for the next episode in the Fever Chronicles. The brutal and apocalyptic ending made me want just one more chapter, one more page, and in the end, one more sentence would've done the trick.

To leave it like this and to have to wait for another year, well, I can keep myself occupied with other books and let the desire for Dreamfever go dormant until a month before its release date. But for those who want the full and complete story wait until they are all released and then start reading them in one sitting.

What started out slow and slightly annoying became an engaging read that spiraled to a heart rendering cliff hanger!

reviewed by Leontine
Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves

3.0 out of 5 stars Third in great series but rather weak on its own, 10 Nov. 2008
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Faefever (Hardcover)
'Bloodfever' and 'Darkfever' were excellent reads, introducing us to bubbly Georgian MacKayla Lane who, when investigating her sister's death in Dublin, Ireland, finds herself thrust into the middle of a whole new world. Mac has a special talent, she's a Sidhe-seer (one who can see the Sidhe); however she is more powerful that most sidhe-seers as she can also detect special fae objects and more. She's found herself working alongside the enigmatic Jericho Barrens, as well as trying to avoid the impossibly sexy fae Prince V'Lane, as she searches for a special dark Book, one that she can sense and one that Barrons wants.

'Faefever' starts where the previous story left off, with a quick summary of previous events for the new reader. However there's an awful lot of history and terminology in the previous books and I doubt that a new reader to this one would be able to work out what's going on. The book then continues but I found, after finishing it, that not a lot really happened. There were some interesting scenes between Barrons and Mac and V'Lane and Mac; there are some further developments with regard to the baddies, Barrons' and V'Lane's powers; but until the last chapter nothing overly significant to the plot occurred. The last chapter was very exciting with a new direction to the plot but all the content of the book prior to that felt rather transitional and not particularly necessary.

Karen Marie Moning's writing style is very good. She has a real way with words, her prose is well crafted and the interactions between Mac and the various other characters are good fun. However the fairly dark tone of this book, and its lack of significant plot development before the very end, meant that it was less enjoyable a read. It also ends on a real cliffhanger after a rather upsetting scene and so once again feels very transitional. Some readers may mistakenly think that this series is paranormal romance; it isn't, the romance element is minimal, but the plot and characterisation are very good. However for this reader 'Faefever' was a disappointment and I hope that the next book wraps up some of the plot threads and is less dark in tone.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better and better, 20 Oct. 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Faefever (Fever 3) (Paperback)
OK we are back up to five stars! I am putting up with the repeat bits because the story is so damn good! I am totally sucked into this world now and at the point I want to read on and quickly so but then don't want to read on and be at the last book too quickly. Thats always to me a sign of a good series, and oh boy this is a rollicking good series. I find myself walking the streets of Dublin with Mac and living amongst The Unseelies and avoiding The Shades, imagining the dark zones and seated in Barrons fast cars. Feeling the power of the Spear and the frustration of who just the heck to trust. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Faefever: Fever Series Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Books4Reviews!)
This is the third book in the `Fever' series, and picks up right where book 2 `Bloodfever' left off. **Warning** Unavoidable spoilers for books 1 + 2 `Darkfever' and `Bloodfever'.
Mac continues her search for the Sinsar Dubh, and continues to use her contacts to the best of her ability. The problem is she's still not 100% sure who to trust, both Barrons and V'lane have saved her life at one time or another, and both have different talents to offer her, but neither are human, and Mac's not sure she can trust anyone who's not human again.

I actually found it a bit of a struggle to get through this book. There was a lot of recapping the events in the previous two books (so much so that you could probably read this as a stand-alone novel if you wanted to), and Mac just seemed to be constantly whining about one thing or another. Once again Mac reminded me annoyingly of Sookie Stackhouse (they could be sisters - no, twins in fact), and Mac's new delicacy of choice is just revolting and totally wrong!
The storyline in this book, (once you managed to dig it out), was okay, if long-winded. My main complaint is just how long it took to get there! Unfortunately this book just dragged for me.
I was also a bit disappointed at the lack of `action' with regards to Mac's love life. She's got Barrons who she admits she's attracted to, a Seelie sex-prince after her, and some other random guy who she also thinks is pretty gorgeous, but do we get anything at all? Barely a kiss.
The redeeming feature of this book was the ending. The last 10% of the book actually had something major going on, and I love a book that begins and ends with the same line! It just speaks volumes to me.
Overall; this was okay, it moved the story along a bit, but the pacing was just too slow, and Mac is starting to get annoying. No way could I read the books in this series back to back.
7 out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fever book 3, 15 May 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Faefever (Fever 3) (Paperback)
Faefever is the third book in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series starring Sidhe-Seer MacKayla Lane. The story picks up right after the ending of Bloodfever - Mac is still searching for the Sinsar Dubh (an ancient book that is supposed to contain Fae secrets) although that is proving difficult when getting anywhere near it causes her incredible pain. She is also determined to track down her sister's murderer and figure out who has Alina's missing journal and why they are sending random pages to her. As Samhain approaches and the walls between the Fae and human realms get ever weaker Mac must decide who she can trust to help her stop them falling completely.

This series seems to get more and more addictive with every book I read. The cliffhangers also seem to get worse and worse with every book though so I'm very glad I waited until all 5 books were already available before I started reading them - if I had to wait a whole year for the next book I might have started screaming when I reached the end of Faefever!

This series definitely falls on the darker side of urban fantasy, the things that Mac has been through (and continues to go through) don't always make for comfortable reading. She has grown up a lot since the first book though and you have to admire her for her determination to not just survive but also to protect innocents and to get vengeance for her sister. She has proved to be a lot tougher than I ever thought she would be considering how girlie she was at the start of the series. I do like the fact that she still has that softer side though, the side that likes to dress in pretty clothes and flirt with handsome men - Mac proves that women don't have to act like men all of the time to be kick ass.

I also like the fact that she no longer blindly trusts anyone, given her history with Barrons, V'lane and even her fellow Sidhe-Seers she has learnt to always look for hidden motives in people's actions. Talking of the other characters I still can't get enough of Barrons, yes he can be a bit of a bastard at times but there is still something about him that just leaves you begging for more. I love the intensity of the relationship between him and Mac and although they are keeping me waiting I know they will be an explosive combination when they finally give into their mutual lust! V'lane is another interesting character and one who I find myself liking a little more with each book, I still don't trust him (I don't actually trust Barrons either) but I do think that most of the time he is looking out for Mac's best interests. It was great to see more of Christian MacKeltar, we had met him briefly in the previous book but I'm even more intrigued now I know a bit more about him and his family. Fingers crossed they have a part in the next book too.

I know I had been warned that this series had killer cliffhangers but OMG that was worse than anything I could have expected! Karen Marie Moning managed to shock the heck out of me and has left me desperate to find out what happens next. Thankfully I already have the last two books sitting on my shelves so I'm off to start reading Dreamfever!

5.0 out of 5 stars O.M.G - Thats all I can say!, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Faefever: Fever Series Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
O.M.G - I think that sums this book up perfectly.

I was slightly disappointed with Bloodfever. I did really like it but story-wise it felt like a `filling in' book. Faefever therefore blew me away! This story just stepped it up a notch and I loved it!

One of the things I really loved about Faefever was that there were so many different mysteries. Who/what is Barrons? Where is the book? Why has the Lord Master not attacked Mac yet? What is he doing behind the scenes? What are all the unseelie doing who are working in Dublin? Who is on what side? Questions after questions. And unlike some other series' I've read, our protagonist, Mac, is doing a very good job of getting to the bottom of them. Piece by piece she goes on adventures and collects information. She even summarises for the reader every so often, keeping everything fresh in our minds.

So with a series like this, with so much going off, with so many different threads of storylines and characters it could easily have been too difficult to follow. There could have been a major case of `information overload' but thankfully there isn't. It's a very clever way of writing and it made the experience of reading it so much more enjoyable.

In this story Mac pulls out all the stops to find out A) where her sister's murder is (who she still believes to be the Lord Master, B) what is Christian's involvement in everything, because he knows what she is and he also knew her sister, C) Who/what is Barrons, D) Where is the book? And finally E) What do the other sidthe seers know about... well everything?

She goes from Christian to Barrons to V'lane to Inspector Jane to Dani discovering new things all the time. It was very interesting to read about.

Because there were more characters featured in this instalment, we unfortunately saw less of Barrons. But that was ok because it really gave us time to get to know characters like V'lane and Dani. Mac spends a lot of time with V'lane allowing him to tell her all about the history of the fae and the book and hoping all the time he will slip up and tell her what Barrons is. There seems to be some tension and even hatred between V'lane and Barrons and I for one am dying to know what Barrons is and what happened between him and V'lane to cause all the tension.

Everything in Faefever is building up to Halloween. Apparently on Halloween the walls between the unseelie and our world will be at their weakest and so everyone believes that the Lord Master will use that to try to bring the walls down fully and allow the rest of the unseelie to enter our world. Everyone is trying to stop him, the sidthe seers will perform a ritual, so will Christian and his uncles who come from a long line of Scottish druids, entrusted with performing their own rituals so many times a year to help keep the walls up between the worlds. Even Barrons has been roped in to help.

And so when the book gets to the last part, Halloween and ALL hell breaks loose, I just couldn't put it down until I knew what happened. It was very exciting and the ending was a massive cliffhanger which I will not spoil but lets just say Barrons isn't there to help this time...

Overall, another amazing instalment to the fever series. Make no mistake I will be starting Dreamfever immediately. Anyone who has read that ending and already owns Dreamfever will have no choice.

Just a little note about the content, as with the other books, this is an adult book and therefore there are some scenes at the end which are very adult.

Anyway, if you read the first two then you really don't need me to tell you that this is a MUST read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Faefever, 20 Oct. 2010
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Faefever is the third instalment in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I think this is the most erotic and suspense filled book in the series by far.

Mac is still learning more about her sidhe-seer history when she uncovers a startling piece of information that may lead her to the discovery of what exactly Barrons, truly is. Now is the time that she needs to band together with her sisterns, Barrons, V'Lane and others to try and prevent the walls coming down between the Fae world and the human world but more importantly, the Unseelie prisons.

Barron's is once again keeping secrets from Mac but bet your petunia she is trying her damndest to find out more about him from V'Lane. But all these two seem to be worried about is whether the other has slept with Mac or not. V'Lane, however, does divulge some interesting Fae history. Information that he deems the human race not privileged enough to know but tells Mac in good faith.

I think this book has to be the most intense one yet. There are more run ins with the Lord Master, who we learn the true name and nature of, than I can count and I worry each time Mac comes up against him as I don't think she is quite ready to take him on. I don't look forward to their confrontations. Confrontations with Barrons however are rather appealing and seductive. I just want to scream at them both and tell them to have sex already as the tension is killing me.

I have many favourite moments in this book but my first place favourite moments are when Mac is reminiscing about the time in the cave just after she has eaten Unseelie flesh (if you don't know what moment I am referring to, then go read Bloodfever, it will explain everything).

Overall, I loved this book and hated (in a good way) it at the same time. There was so much suspense and plot twists that I could hardly keep my head straight. The sexual tensions is top notch and I am definitely going to be reading the next book to find out if that tension explodes or implodes as the case may be. This book ends with a killer cliff hanger so if you don't like those, beware as this one has already got me requesting it from my local library so I can find out what happens next.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the norm, just brilliant!, 10 Aug. 2011
If you've read the Highlander books don't be fooled into thinking this is the same, but just more about the fae. I was halfway through the first book when I realised this and was wondering why the story was not moving quicker...Duh. I've read so many paranormal romance type books in this past couple of years that I'm struggling to find new authors to read. This was like nothing I've ever read. I wish they would make a tv series.

This is the third book and Mac is up to her backside in trouble and even starting to doubt herself, who she is and where she came from. Will the walls actually come down and all hell break loose? If your reading this book you should definately have books four and five at the ready, because your in for a hell of a ride!

I dare you not to be obsessed with Jericho Barrons, he really isn't a nice guy, but I'm still obsessed with him now, and I've read all 5 books twice. I won't spoil the plot, you'll recognise some characters and references from the highlander series, But I will say this, miss moning is not afraid to turn you inside out and upside down! I would definately recommend buying books three, four and five together because of the cliffhanger endings!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and if anyone can recommend something I would be eternally grateful, I love J R Ward, Kresely cole, Larrissa Ione, Lara Adrian, Gena Showalter and some of the Carparthian series. I'm now really stuck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but picks up., 14 Nov. 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Faefever (Fever 3) (Paperback)
I've become a fan of Karen's since I started the Fever series currently being reprinted by Gollancz, month by month, so when this latest title landed I couldn't wait to get my hands upon it. Sitting down (and taking a break from Skyrim) I grabbed the title, pulled my blanket round and sat down with my tankard of mead (appropriately Bunratty) to enjoy a cracking Urban Fantasy set in Ireland.

What unfurled within was a book that took its time to get going and spent a lot of time revising the events from previous titles, which considering that I'd only read them recently left me feeling a little cheated, almost as if the author didn't have enough material to have the full book on its own, yet as it developed we started getting additional elements that helped Mac, the principle character grow. The reminders were there so that you could see how far she's developed and then it adds real spice and fear for the reader as the story unfurls with the choices that she makes bringing consequences that she'll have to learn to live with.

As with the others, its cleverly done, the plot line is wonderfully inventive and when you add the authors own personal voice alongside great prose and cracking pace (for the later part of the novel) it's a book that gives the reader a little lull before the real storm hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faefever, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Faefever: Fever Series Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
Although I enjoyed Karen Moning's Fever Series. When I am reading the books ( this one is no exception)I found them repetitive in ways. Too much time is spent getting readers up to date with previous books and too much time is spent in things that don't really matter. These small things irate me as does the dictionary at back of the book using valuable pages because they were needed at the end of the book, which leaves us with such a disturbing cliff hanger. I am so glad I came to the books late and can read the series one after the other as I don't think I would be happy to wait too long to read the next book.All that being said, I really enjoyed the series, the storyline is great and the characters of Barrons (secretive, old world but loyal(we hope but cannot really tell)) and V'Lane (death-by-sex-fae who seems to love our heroine - although this may be lust rather than love, who knows!) and Rowena (controlling sidhe-seer Mistress and jealous cow) are fascinating and capture you immediately wanting you to delve further into their stories. My advice here is buy the next book before you finish this one!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›