5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality
The dimensions are 36cm height by 36x26cm. It is a little bigger than it could be but for me this isn't a big problem. The build quality is pretty good and it looks stylish. The material is better than those entry models that are made of cheap plastic.

Published on 1 Nov. 2008 by Marcello

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely efficient but staggeringly noisy
For the last few years I've been using an entry level cross-cut shredder, the Rexel HS.85. This was absolutely fine for shredding household post (and is still in great working order). However, as I work from home now, shredding piles of confidential documents sheet by sheet has become tiresome. Hence the upgrade.

I mostly agree with the positive reviews of this...
Published on 21 July 2010 by Third Time Lucky

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 1 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Fellowes Powershred P-48C Cross-Cut Personal Shredder with Safety Lock (Office Product)

It can shred staples and credit cards. The shredded paper size is 4x45mm. It is pretty heavy but this is good since it doesn't fall over if somebody bumps into it. There are some sharp blades that you can see when you take off the top from the case but it has a sensor that cuts off electricity when you open it.

The feeding section is 4mm wide and the blades are 45mm deep from the top which both add to the security if you have babies or children at home.

There is also an on-off switch on the back side and a lock mechanism on top. The locking mechanism requires to press and push a button at the same time to unlock it. I think the locking mechanism could have been more complicated. Probably this will only prevent babies younger than 1 year old to unlock it since it is so easy to press and push.

When the heat is to much it turns itself off and there is a light that will tell you. Overall, I'm very happy with the product.

----
Update 4 years later (November 2012):
It still works like new. The only downside I can think of is the loud noise which is not a problem for me but could be for others. Would I buy the same item again today? Yes, absolutely. The quality of the material is perfect and it looks cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 30 May 2009
I recently bought the shredder, having always been very lazy about the way I dispose of my personal papers. Articles I have read convinced me that it was important to not only shred, but cross-cut, everything that has your address on it. This is a very powerful machine for the price, will deal with staples and credit cards. The instructions recommend oiling regularly, but I haven't had it long enough yet. It certainly destroys the papers, and so far I would say was perfect for the home office

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I expected., 2 Jan. 2009
H. Wills "H. Wills" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was encouraged by reviews to buy this shredder as a replacement for our previous flimsy and unreliable machine. A test run with it was very satisfactory and seemed to bear out the other reviewers' comments. However, today I discovered the true measure of this shredder's toughness. My mother was shredding a large pile of backlogged junk mail and charity letters when she accidentally put a piece of paper with a 1p coin attached into the machine - needless to say, it jammed very badly and I was convinced that the shredder would be damaged beyond repair.

Not so! After struggling for nearly twenty minutes to get the coin out with a pair of tweezers (the slot wasn't big enough to get a fine pair of pliers into, and the coin was trapped in the cutters), I gave up and, as a last attempt, tried the reverse button again. Much to my surprise, the coin finally popped out. It was incredibly mangled and I was convinced the cutters would be badly damaged, but to my astonishment the shredder carried on shredding beautifully, as though nothing had happened and without any sign of damage whatsoever.

I am deeply impressed. Clearly the cutters are of excellent quality materials. Given that the machine has all the excellent features noted by the previous reviewers, and does an brilliant job of finely shredding large quantities of paper in a very short space of time, plus being as tough as old boots, I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this shredder to anyone as being very good value for money.

I would certainly buy another, although judging by today's performance I surely won't need to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Munch, munch, munch, cough, 27 Jan. 2009
A very solid and reliable piece of equipment, ideal for the home office. Recommended. Keep your tie out of the way, it will eat that too!

18 months later it is still working perfectly having been heavily used. Strongly recommended.

But after 3 years in total it's wearing out, runs slowly and won't shred more than two sheets of paper at a time. I emphasise this has been heavily used for a domestic standard item.

Still going after years of heavy (by domestic standards) use ...

... and it's died. R.I.P. 07/01/2013.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely efficient but staggeringly noisy, 21 July 2010

I mostly agree with the positive reviews of this product; it's so quick and easy to use, and really does make mincemeat of even fairly sturdy 240gsm card and multiple sheets of A4 paper.

I have a couple of niggles though.

The first is that it's INCREDIBLY noisy. None of the previous reviews mention this (perhaps because the reviewers have not previously used a cross-cut shredder before, and had no expectations of anything quieter). The Fellowes is so much louder than the Rexel. Whilst this is perhaps a function of its larger capacity, it's worth pointing out that I've previously used much bigger shredders, with even greater capacity, and with very much quieter motors. I'm a bit disappointed, and if you were using this in an office that you shared with others, you'd soon find yourself very unpopular.

Secondly, it doesn't have a silent standby function as my Rexel does; you'll need to switch on and off constantly, unless you pile up all the papers you want to shred first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes shredder does the job, could be better, 2 Jan. 2010
N. Root - See all my reviews
OK, it does the job. Two things though. It has a safety cut-out so that it won't operate if the top is not on the paper collection box at the bottom. Maybe my paper collection box is a little off square (it's plastic), or maybe the ridges to keep top on bottom are insufficient, but sometimes the top isn't quite square on the bottom, then the safety catch won't allow it to work. I've now learnt where the safety catch is, back right, and a little pushing around gets it going. The other thing, be careful if you run the shredder backwards to remove paper that's too thick, particularly if the bottom is full of shredded paper. Paper gets rammed back against the sensor bar in the middle of the slot which detects incoming paper, holding it across the slot, so you cannot shred any more paper until this jam is cleared (a few minutes work picking out the jammed paper with a bradl) because the sensor won't move down to indicate there's paper to shred. But it's caught up with months of home shredding well and they're now done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product for home use, 10 May 2010
John A. Clouston (Belper, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I needed a reasonably priced cross cut shredder for home use. This product seems just right. It is quite heavy, but I find that re-assuring and what I'd expect from a shredder that can handle staples and credit cards - I've already tested it out for that and it chewed up two cards and various stapled pages without complaint.

The child lock, whilst fairly simple, is a nice safety feature. The waste bin looks strong and holds a decent amount of paper, but the unit overall is compact enough to fit under a desk in a home office environment.

I wouldn't recommend this for a busy office where it would get steady use all day long, but for home or home office duty it looks like a good choice and excellent value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Green LED light failed...Very noisy...Bin quality poor... Gets hot easily, 26 Sept. 2010
I bought this shredder for general household paper waste such as bank statements and so on. At first, the packaging it came in and the branding looked remarkable and looked like a great quality shredder, the shredder itself is sturdy and well designed, however a huge flaw is that the waste bin is quite flexible and made from cheap plastics, and when you have to put the shredder on top of the waste bin it takes just that bit extra time to align it properly which can be a nuisance and you have to have more patience with it! The other problems are that it's extremely noisy, especially for a 8 page shredder. I now have an Aurora 10 page shredder which is substantially quieter than this thing. Then, after shredding about 100 sheets of paper, which yes it may sound like a lot but it should be able to do the job! The red light appeared and it was completely hot and needed to 'cool down' for around 1 hour. I had a paper jam with it which was difficult to get right, - Never had a paper jam with my Aurora shredder. Then, the green LED light which indicates the shredder is on failed on me which left me no choice but to return. It's a safety concern quite frankly, and I know some others have complained about this too.

Overall - save your money, time, patience and get something else. This is too big, bulky, and the initial quality you see isn't the quality it maintains

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fellowes!!!!!, 23 Jun. 2009
Mrs. C. Fearon (England) - See all my reviews
When this shreds it lets you know that it is working but it has every right to be proud as it shreds virtually anything (within reason) and has a large capacity to hold the results of its hard work. For the money it is very good - more than adequate for home or small office use. Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellowes Cross Cut Shredder, 14 April 2009
Garden Patty (Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This Fellowes Cross Cut Shredder is all it says it is. I was extremely pleased to see that the shredded paper was so very much smaller compared to the usual shredding which shreds down the page of an A4 size leaving it easier for someone who wanted to find out information about you to piece it all together.It cuts cards easily and thick paper. Also the lock is important, especially if the shredder is in a home environment and there are little children around. This machine stops shredding if full, which is also convenient. I find no fault at all with this shredder and it's a good price for what your getting.
Top marks Fellowes for security, ease of use and child proofing.