5.0 out of 5 stars Great Supplement
Published 9 months ago by Mandy Payne

3.0 out of 5 stars Product as described. Delivered promptly
I would not be convinced of any of the benefits of this type of drug. Over a six- seven week period I did not notice any discernable difference and dicontiued them. Possibly worth a try.
Published 6 months ago by CaptainStarkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Supplement, 9 Mar 2014
Mandy Payne "Is it just me?" (Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jarrow Citicoline CDP Choline 250mg, 60 Capsules (250mg, 60 Capsules) (Personal Care)
I'm in my early-mid forties and have fought depression some time in the past. During that period, I was given a variety of pills and prescriptions that helped for a while, caused side effects, would stop working, then I'd try something else...it was depressing just trying to treat the depression. Plus, I am not a fan of drugs...too many side effects and I feel like our bodies are meant to heal themselves. Eventually I got a grip and moved on, but will never forget the impact it had on me.

So when recently I realized that I might be feeling a bit bluesy again, I decided to go looking for something to help. Of course I forced myself to get out and exercise, to interact, to do all of those things that battle depression before you find yourself in bed with no motivation to move. But in addition to that, I read up on some supplements that might help. Citicoline was one that really interested me. So I was very pleased to have a chance to try it.

I've been using it a few weeks. No, I didn't wake up one morning and do cartwheels out of bed. However, I have noticed that whatever dark cloud was trying to move in has kind of subsided. It wasn't an ah-ha moment...just the gradual realization that I do feel better.

Is it this product? I'm going to say that, in part, I believe it is. I am sleeping better and feel a little more alert. It might be just a little leg up to help me move out of the gloom on my own. I didn't do a scientific double-blind study, so I can only go from my own experience. I believe this supplement is helpful.

I trust Jarrow products and will continue using this. There are a lot of studies on citicoline and mental disorders. I am of the school of thought that if given the tools, our bodies can survive naturally. We are innately "smarter" than the science that would pour chemical compounds down our throats in the pursuit of big pharm money.

The following was of some interest from the web. It includes depressed patients who also have drug dependency issues...but often the people who resort to street drugs do so as a result of depression. The outcome of the study was what I found most interesting:

Sherwood Brown and colleagues from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center have completed a successful placebo-controlled trial of citicoline for bipolar and unipolar depression with comorbid methamphetamine dependence. Forty-eight participants with methamphetamine dependence and either unipolar or bipolar depression were randomized to either citicoline (2000 mg/day) or placebo for 12 weeks. Those receiving citicoline had significantly greater improvement in scores on the Inventory of Depressive Symptoms compared with those who received placebo, and patients receiving citicoline stayed in the study significantly longer, with completion rates of 41% on citicoline and 15% on placebo.
In 2007, the same team of investigators reported in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology that citicoline had positive effects in bipolar patients with cocaine dependence, who experienced significant decreases in cocaine use and fewer cocaine-positive urine tests while taking citicoline.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd thoroughly recommend, 19 Oct 2014
Choline, when combined with fish oil and a uridine supplement, really help if you suffer from anxiety and/or depression. It's important to find an alternative to medications such as antidepressants and the soul-destroying benzos. I'd thoroughly recommend these

3.0 out of 5 stars Product as described. Delivered promptly, 26 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 11 Aug 2014
Real effect OR Placebo effect, either one was not clearly perceivable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov 2014