5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I need and does it well!
Published on 28 Jun 2008 by Dave C

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought the Sony.
I've had this camcorder now for a few weeks. Piece of junk. Do not believe the reviews or manufacturers' information.
Published on 30 Mar 2009 by ZsFCB

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I need and does it well!, 28 Jun 2008
Dave C "Condyk" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: JVC GZ-MG330H Slim HDD/microSD Hybrid Camcorder With Konica Minolta Lens (35x Optical Zoom) (Electronics)
We all know how complicated modern gadgets can be and really how many of us have time to learn all the stuff we are expect to before handling a product? I dunno about you but I just want to pick something up and use it without undue fuss. With this tiny little JVC I was able to do just that and have yet to refer to the manual, even though it's been several years since I owned an old Hi8 machine.

All is very obvious with the camera. The supplied software then provides all you need to get the movies from the camera to your computer via USB 2 and then edit and output. Overall design is good with everything seemingly in the right place. Quality of build is very decent for the price.

You can slip it in a coat pocket or if you're travelling then slip it in your bum-bag. Then when you've walked around all day pour yourself a nice glass of the local red wine, plug in the USB cable and download/edit. Easy as pie.

Simple operation, good quality video, good design. bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat piece of kit, 16 July 2008
I bought this item specifically because of it's size - and also i hadn't bought a gadget in a while!!! My last purchase was a Canon DSLR and I love it - however it is bigger than my old compact. So as we were going on holiday and I am the one that has to carry the cameras (you know what it's like guys!), I wanted a smaller camcorder than our old bulky JVC DV camcorder.

I toyed with a the idea of a small DV camcorder, but the simplicity of the GZ-MG330H and my experience with JVC to date made the decision easy. Although this is around £100 more expensive than the DV equivalent, it is lighter and quicker to use. This is the equivalent of a point and shoot digital camera, with no settings for white balance, no fill light, no special features. But it's great...

We have just taken it on a weeks holiday and are really pleased with the results. It adjusts to bright sun and shade quickly, and the mic is pretty good too. Wind cut was useful as we were holidaying in England.

Being Hard Disk based means that you cannot overwrite footage. You can be viewing something and then need to quickly switch to record without having to find the end of the recorded footage, so you don't "tape" over it... This is also great as it meant I could let my little boy play without too much concern.

Transferring files to our home PC is simple - the included software is easy to use and each take is transferred as a small digital movie file.

If I had one complaint it would be the file format - if it could save as standard MPEG, MOV or AVI you could transfer to any PC anywhere..

If had two complaints it would be that JVC don't make it clear that the remote and dock are not compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great family camcorder, 15 Dec 2008
This is a very easy to use Cam. Brilliant with built-in 30GB HDD, which means you have more than 9 hrs high resolution shooting. You can just get it out and shoot anytime anywhere without need to worry about whether there is enough tape or disc space left. We took it for a 2 wks holiday to China, filmed everything for as long as we like, and still got lots memo left. It is just as easy when you need to edit and burn your own DVD, or simply copy all the files to PC, CD. The video quality is quite good, but can be more sharper. Still image is very weak, we always have a seprate camera on the go. The other weakness are: short battery life, insufficienct wind sound proof in very hard condition. But over all, a very good family cam for such a great value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought the Sony., 30 Mar 2009
If you need this camcorder for recording in low light conditions then don't bother. Buy the Sony instead. This JVC is useless in low light conditions, I record a lot of music gigs (legally thank you) and the picture quality from this camcorder is very poor. The lens aperture is not designed for low light at all. All the videos I have shot have come out so dark they are unwatchable. The automatic "Gain" to digitally lighten the video is a joke, it just makes it "noisy" to the extent it's once again unwatchable.
Also something else the manufacturer does not tell you is this piece of cack saves the video files in .MOD format. What's that you may ask??? It's a format that nothing recognises and exclusive to JVC.
The software you get with the camcorder is limited to say the least. All you can do is upload to your PC, play the videos and write the files to a DVD. That's all. Not even the included software recognises the file format, you CANNOT edit the videos in any way. You need to spend a lot more money on compatible software such as Adobe Premier Elements if you want to edit or convert the format. Not even windows media player will play the videos. Type into google "jvc .mod file format forum" and read the number of people screaming on forums because they cannot do anything with the video files you record with this thing. And if you're using the software with windows Vista then oh boy are you in for even more problems along the lines of "An error has caused this program to stop working...."

I have no idea if the camcorder is any good in outside daylight, I have never tried, never had need to, I bought it for music gigs. The supplied battery is no use to anyone, it lasts 45 minutes if you're lucky. Do NOT buy the JVC heavy duty battery, it is £70, buy the compatible one off ebay for £16.

I made a mistake buying this JVC camcorder, I wish I had bought the Sony now. As for the still image function, I don't know, never used it, I've got a Sony alpha DSLR for that thanks. Excellent piece of kit that is.

I would NOT recommend this camcorder to anyone. Oh just one other thing, the microphone on this JVC is not much better than the video quality either. So much sound distortion at high volume it's unlistenable. It also states in the manufacturers' info that the microphone is directly proportional to the camera zoom. The microphone is more sensitive when you zoom in. No it isn't, it stays the same.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. BUY THE SONY.

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC HDD Camcorder, 16 Feb 2009
Mr. R. S. Ogden (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent screen and touch sensitive controlls. Good intuitive menu. Excellent sound recording. Average picture quality - it needs to be on Ultra Fine to approach anything like average. Very light weight and compact. Standard battery is good for only 45 mins, but replacement battery can extend usage to over 2 hours, a must if taking it on holiday. Very good value for money. Next time I'd pay the extra and get high definition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Home Cinema In A Handy Package, 16 Mar 2009
The most impressive thing about this product is it's size. 7 hours of high quality video in such a small package. At this price that makes it a good deal.

At least it would if the video quality was as it could have been. Nothing that good software can't fix. Still, I guess you get what you have paid for. And despite my reservations I am impressed with the overall package. I just wish that the picture quality was slightly better.

5.0 out of 5 stars V ery Good, 16 Dec 2009
B. J. Patient - See all my reviews
The JVC GZ MG330 is an excellent little camcorder to have it is very compact does all the basic things you want it to do and producers an excellent and clear picture.
The Amazon service was as good as ever and the pack back from JVC very quick.
For an every day recorder i would suggest this model as a good priced easy to use with good reults unit

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC GZ-MG330H, 13 Mar 2009
Extremely happy with the product overall. Picture quality is very good for both camcorder and camera and it is very easy to use. However, every now and again whilst filming the picture goes blurry for a second whilst the auto focus adjusts. I can't believe how small it is!! Definately a good purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a great price, 22 Mar 2009
Mr. M. Adamson (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Great little camera but seems restictive in functions, ie no fade out/in but it is small and for the price good value for the money as well as being a great 'point and shoot&camera. Feels nice to hold! Nice stills too!