5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
I brought this product to help keep my dad's old, but very vintage, geometry set preserved.

Published on 13 Mar. 2010 by Y. Munshi

1.0 out of 5 stars To summarise this item in one word is easy, GARBAGE
To summarise this item in one word is easy, GARBAGE!!!
I bought it to use in my workshop to replace an old helix set i owned for many years.
the arm holds the needle only it cannot take the lead, to change to the arm means
the need to completely remove a pin that's extremely fiddly & cumbersome to both take out
and put back in,
The arm fitting of...
Published 6 months ago by GL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 13 Mar. 2010
Y. Munshi (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)

Sadly, the first one arrived damaged such that one of the hinges on the parent compass was damaged. Upon returning it and being issued a replacement (which arrived very quickly thanks to Amazon's exemplary customer service as per usual), I'm very impressed with the quality of the set. Thankfully, I can safe-keep my dad's old set and 'wreck' this one now!

I was anxious at first thinking that maybe the structure of the set would be all-plastic, but it is actually mostly metal. They've used plastic as "joints" to each "bone" or "arm" of the compasses. And it's also worth noting that you don't need to use a screw driver to tighten the joints in any of these compasses, it's all done by thumb.

I've always preferred thumb-wheel compasses over the conventional ones in that they are more accurate and they remain fixed on that measurement (as opposed to the conventional ones where no matter how much you tighten that screw on the joint, it would still cause the compass to lose the measurement when you draw and it could also damage its accuracy for future drawings).

Overall, I'm very impressed with it and I think it'd make an excellent companion to anyone involved in maths.

Thanks for reading :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
Very high quality set. Easy to use and comes with all the extras you need.

Took me a minute to work out the extension arm was not actually a separate bar compass it attaches to the main compass after you remove one of the legs. If you need instructions you can email helix and they send them out. Everything fits together pretty well and while its all plastic its high quality so not a problem. You get extra screws and leads with it as well so its very handy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value beam compass, but best for occasional use., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
I bought this because I needed a beam compass that I could use with a Rotring drawing pen and I could see this could do that. I don't use one often, so didn't want to pay a lot of money. This did the job nicely. I deducted a star because assembling the beam accessory is fiddly and not the sort of thing I would want to do very often. So, I leave it assembled, meaning I cannot use the larger compass separately. This is not a problem, since I already have a similar sized compass. If you need to use the larger size as well, you're going to have to put up with the fiddle of assembling/dismantling on a regular basis. But perhaps it gets quicker if you do it regularly. The wheel bar makes accurate drawing easier. Another minus point is that the pen holder is a bit crude, but, to be fair, it works. Incidentally, there are no instructions for assembly, but if you are using a compass, you're probably smart enough to work it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helix precision plus drawing set, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
After searching the Internet for a decent drawing set this set stood out for quality and price and it does everything it states.Excellent quality and very reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's good!, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
Great little set. Exeptional quality for quite a reasonable price. Also neatly packaged. I use it for my technical drawing sessions and it's performing pretty well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Geometry set, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
Excellent product at a reasonable price .Easy to use and Includes robust carry case for easy transportability between school and home .

1.0 out of 5 stars To summarise this item in one word is easy, GARBAGE, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
To summarise this item in one word is easy, GARBAGE!!!
and put back in,
The arm fitting of the Arm into the compass is a very poor design for something described as precision
as it has no secure fitting even with the screw tightened as far as it will go it will move i risked snapping the pin
when i tightened the fixing using pliers the arm still has lateral movement meaning a perfect circle can be very hard too scribe using this set, the Arm only holding the pin means all the weight of the compass is on the drawing end meaning u need both hands to one steady the pin 2nd hold the weight of the compass as it draws the lines and the weight of the compass will pull the arm down thus the circle you wanted can too easily becomes an egg.

My old set was a helix, when buying this replacement i chose to look at helix only products looked down til i saw the 1st set with an arm and just bought it, my UTTER fail. the usefulness of this set means the arm should not be provided, the pencil holder will not work on the arm it simply cannot be connected to it, if you want a basic geometry set and need no extension arm a set like this is OK of reasonable quality and will last a student some time just buy the same set without the extension saving yourself some money, people needing an extension arm, look for the older style set where the arm fitted into the compass, and the arm then held the lead in the lead/pin attatchement you removed from the compass leg to fit the arm

5.0 out of 5 stars at long last, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
just avery keen amateur & have made do with countless sets over the years & always promised myself a decent set.
well i had had enough so bought these & am very pleased with it,should have bought these a long time ago,delivery very quick too,buy them,you will not be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Helix drawing set., 9 July 2013
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
It does all I need from it which is the odd bit of drawing and marking out in the workshop (wood). At the price you can't really go wrong. If you want something for heavy, daily professional use you need to spend more money, but then you wouldnt be looking at this to start with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and buy a metal set., 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002 (Office Product)
People in my tech drawing class at school invariably had much better drawing instruments than I did so I thought I'd treat myself these 45 years later but didn't want to break the bank and Helix is a name I knew and thought I could trust, sadly I was mistaken with this set.
They are all plastic not metal and the lower joints no matter how tight you try to lock them off can still be moved and contrary to the 4 and 5 star reviews in my opinion are of low quality. I still have my old basic all metal Helix set with the 'I'm Backing Britain' campaign stickers on the lid (1968), if they had been of similar quality to this set then I very much doubt I'd have been top of tech drawing every year at school or still be in use 45 years later.

Helix Precision Plus Drawing Set A33002