5.0 out of 5 stars The Talented Mr Flynn
I found Johnny Flynn and the Sussex wit by accident... if only all accidents were as lucky.

This music is the Levellers of the naughties (and I mean that as the highest compliment) not in any copycat sense but in the sense of a beautifully crafted album written with humour, sensitivity, intelligence and (above all) musicality. The playing and writing are...
Published on 14 Oct. 2009 by Mr. B. A. Sorrill

3.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me..
Having, like many people, first heard johnny Flynn on The Detectorists tv series I thought I'd try this. It is different to what I expected, not as gently melodic as "Treasure" and Johnny's voice seems more reedy, but it's growing on me. Many of the tunes are quite catchy and the arrangements are quirky and imaginative. Johnny sounds to me a bit like Robin...
Published 2 months ago by Curmudgeon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste..., 18 Feb. 2015
Andrew Foulds "Melancholic Grizzly" (Nottingham,uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Larum (Comm CD) (MP3 Download)
I brought this mainly because of his music I heard in Detectorists. I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as those tracks but that's not to say it's a bad album but not to my tastes. Some people will love this but I prefer something a bit more sparse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Folkin' Good, 10 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
Brilliant album, a couple of tracks towards the end that seem a little less accessible to anyone who isn't really into the scene but otherwise a great debut. If you like your blues or folk definitely worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 27 July 2008
Jamie O. Kirkpatrick "O.KP" (Tetbury, Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
This is a CD on which every song is a masterpiece! The Lyrics are superb and the Vocals are brilliant! This simply must be a part of your collection, I gaurantee that (if you are of sound mind) you will not regret this purchase as the catchy tunes will get you singing along and the highly original sound will fill a genre gap in your collection, which perhaps you didn't even realise was there. You will find yourself listening to these future classics over and over again.

A fantastic opoutunity to discover a CD from a rising artist, which is undoubtedly the best release to date this year!

A must buy for anyone who likes good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk with modern twist, 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: A Larum (Comm CD) (MP3 Download)
As I had tested this out on Spotify, I knew what to expect when purchasing. Since getting it on to my iPod though, I have hardly stopped listening to this album. Brilliant, understated melodies and unexpected lyrics. If you like indie folk, and artists such as Fleet Foxes, Roy Harper or Beth Orton, I think you'll appreciate this fine album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sussex wit., 17 April 2015
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
Clever, witty and oh so timelessly English. Bought this first on LP years ago but alas it didn't fit in my car's cd player so bought the cd too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Album, 24 July 2014
P. J. Thacker "Pat Thacker" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Just love this man!
He has a distinctive voice and sound.
Squeaky door violin sounds are great as is the whole album.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 25 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
Very good, relaxing bit of folk. I'm new to johnny flynn but will be buying his other works.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it alot, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
I ,was quiet surprised with this album ,I like it alot, grows on you,folk music great !

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk without the cringe factor, 17 Nov. 2009
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
I'm not into Folk. There, I said it. I find it irritating and twee and it makes me violent. I do however enjoy roots style music and music with heart and soul.
This album by Mr Flynn is truly exceptional. Each song is well constructed and played with gusto and feeling. You can tell they enjoyed making it.
The lyrics are not about a lost albion or other twaddle and are amazingly well written. It still makes me chuckle thinking about what happens to the voices in your head after death...indeed.
Anyway, who am I to say what's worth listening to. Buy it and listen to it yourself. You will not be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Nick Drake..., 22 July 2008
This review is from: A Larum (Audio CD)
... never thought I'd write those words in the same sentence, but Flynn transcends all others in this genre - not least with the grim humour of his lyrics. There ARE similarities with Drake, the unusually acceptable Englishness of it all (and some of the chord structures), but this is an indispensable three lp's worth of great songs.

So, a great epitaph to a dead (pop) culture. Will the last person out of the UK please turn out the lights and make sure this wonderful talent comes with you.

A Larum
A Larum by Johnny Flynn (Audio CD - 2008)