Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 September 2012
This review is for: F.L.M. (Cherry Pop - 2CD)
Cherry Pop have produced a truly deluxe edition of "F.L.M." here. Every track is superb, including the bonus tracks and the sound quality is fantastic. As if getting the original album tracks with all the original 7" and 12" single mixes isn't enough, we are also treated to the remixes from the limited edition 12" singles and also some unreleased remixes. Usually it is clear to see why previously unreleased tracks remained unreleased. It is usually because they weren't very good in the first place. But with the Mel & Kim remixes they are up to the same quality as the released ones. Now, there are a few compromises made here in order to fit on all the bonus tracks. So the original longer album versions of "F.L.M.", "Respectable" and "Showing Out" are replaced by their 7" single versions. "Showing Out" is messy in the 7" edit, so for me I would have retained the album version, but over all this was a good decision to make. The Garage Vocal 12" mix of "System" is an edit when compared to the 12" version on the B-Side of "Showing Out", which is a shame. But apart from that this release is absolutely top notch. I love the attention to detail in making this a great presentation. The actually discs are picture CD's and the sleeve is reversable, so you can have the American sleeve facing front if you prefer. Highly recommended, in fact I would say this is an essential purchase.
on 18 October 2010
I recieved this today and what can I say - it's simply the best version of F.L.M ever. The booklet is beautiful, all done in a Mel and Kim style that matches the back cover of the Showing Out single (the graphic designer really did their homework) and it's packed full of rare pics of the girls, including covers from Number One and Look In!

As well as lots of pics there's a foreword by Kim, a VERY comprehensive four page biography of the girls, as well as page by page information and photos on every single they released. Each single has images of the many variations of cover they had in different territories, as well as picture discs and rare editions.

Also pictured are really rare items such as the 7" single of 'More than words can say" (released in the Netherlands only).

As for the discs themselves, the artwork on the discs is gorgeous, especially disc 1 which is a variation shot from the FLM photoshoot (and the image used on the 12" FLM remix single). The 2nd CD image is from the U.S FLM shoot with them in the white hats and dresses.

The cover is also reversible, with the UK version on the front and the U.S version on the back.

The tracks have never sounded better and there are many rare remixes and alternate versions here. Especially fantastic are 'More than words can say' the extended 12" version. The 12" versions of Feel a whole lot better, and Who's gonna catch you, and the inclusion of the slower original into version of 'You changed my life' which has never been available on CD before (it only featured on the first pressing B side of the That's the way it is single).

This is an amazing testimony to the Appleby sisters and I can't recommend this highly enough, I'd pay twice as much for it.

The only thing lacking is any unreleased demos by the sisters. There are some in existence but none are included, which is such a shame. Somewhere in a cupboard are recordings of the girls singing other tracks, and rough demos for If you cared and Mama. I pray that one day Mel's beautiful vocals alongside Kim's (also beautiful) will get shared with the rest of us on these tracks.

As for this collection, it's amazing. As Kim would say 'm-m-mel I love it'
on 1 July 2011
I've just driven to work through a time warp and I have to tell you, 1987 was a fantastic year! Not only did I meet the girl who became my wife that year (it's our 22nd anniversary today!), this album came out. I've been a fan of Mel & Kim right from the beginning, to the point where I used to have all of the singles and all of the variations of them (apart from the elusive 12" poster-sleeve version of Showing Out), including the 3 that were never released in this country (and this is in the pre-internet days, remember). Rather stupidly, some years ago, I got rid of almost all my vinyl when I no longer had a record player; I soon regretted that.

A few days ago, I happened across this CD here. I now have it in my hands and I have to tell you, I am one happy bunny. This CD is the most complete release to date. There are few of the 12" singles mixes missing: the Tabloid Mix of Respectable (available on the "That's The Way It Is... The Best Of" CD); the Freehold Mix of Showing Out (available on the original CD release) and the Auto Mix of F. L. M. (only available on the cassette single, a German CD single and the Scandinavian "Something Special" remixes CD). Then there's the Megamix Ninety, which you may be able to find on a CD somewhere.

Even so, this CD on its own is a fabulous piece of work - the tracks sound just as good as if they were recorded last week, not 24 years ago. It even contains some remixes that I don't remember hearing before, which is great.

In a nutshell, if you like Mel & Kim, you'll really like this CD!

One final point, for the absolute completist: the original CD release (with the monochrome cover) contained the US album version of "I'm The One Who Really Loves You" which was slightly different from the UK version. When EMI re-released the album with the colour cover, it had the UK version.
on 18 April 2012
This is my review for FLM after musing on it whilst in the pub.

Apple review of this album describes it as follows

Mel & Kim can thank their success on the team of Stock, Aitken & Waterman, who were also the producers that brought the world the likes of Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley in the late '80s. Mel & Kim were, however, the least talented of their stablemates, a fact that becomes very obvious on their debut album F.L.M. This is one of the more insipid examples of '80s dance-pop. The songwriting is Stock, Aitken, and Waterman's weakest, and the limited vocal ability of the Appleby sisters is very apparent. Even for writers and producers of eminently disposable pop music, the three-person team have outdone themselves on this completely forgettable album. ~Jonathan Lewis, Rovi

the above is a complete load of tosh bollocks crap.

people need to lighten up for crying out loud.

this album is not just an 80s pop masterpiece, but a masterpiece full stop. Almost as good as Johann Sebastian Bach's Well Tempered Clavier

buy this album an listen to it loudly through a marantz cd player with the vienna range speakers.
on 5 December 2015
I loved Mel & Kim back in the day but somehow never got round to actually purchasing their album. This omission on my behalf has been remedied with the acquisition of this deluxe edition of their brilliant FLM album. The record company has been clever enough with this proffering not to cram too many obscure tracks onto the original album CD, but rather to put them onto a 2nd CD. This optimizes the listening pleasure because fans like myself who prefer the straightforward single/album versions and the classic long versions of the songs aren't forced to listen to a lot of stuff we don't want to hear. So often nowadays, record companies re-edit old albums, give the original recordings a good clean, and put them on a CD along with bad demos, dreadful alternative versions of songs, horrendous remixes, and try to pass all this extra rubbish off to the undiscerning customer as "gifts". Folks, don't be misled by large stickers on the front of new editions of old albums that promise us loads of never-heard-before goodies. If they weren't good enough for our ears decades ago, you can imagine what those tracks are going to sound like now...
on 22 October 2010
MEL & KIM emerged during the mid 80's when SAW/PWL were at the peak of their pop chart domination. This album was originally a hugs success, not just in UK & Europe, but also in the US. These two chirpy and very talented ladies dominated both club & pop charts all over the world with their fresh, groovy and upbeat anthems such as "Showin out" "Respectable" "FLM" & "That's the way it is". Their music was typical SAW but with added grooves, that blended US funk, HI-NRG/Eurobeat and good old fashioned pop! They were one of the few SAW/PWL acts to crossover to the mainstream US market, with huge success.
Cherry Pop have done us proud, once again, with a superb "deluxe special edition". They have to be applauded for their continuing effort & dedication to bring us music lovers top quality releases of those long deleted, but much loved gems from the 80's.
Superb..
on 26 January 2016
Love this CD bought Mel and Kim on cassette years ago ( showing my age now) to play in the car. Been singing along ever since I've received this! Thanks
on 21 June 2014
The CD is excellent and was a worthy replacement for the old tape! The quality of sound was sublime and brought back fond memories of the time!!!
on 17 March 2013
I had this album as a child on cassette and it was a regular in my walkman so to now have it on cd and with extra tracks is just amazing!!! It's making me feel young listening to it again all these years later!!!
on 3 September 2010
MEL & KIM - F.L.M. (Deluxe Edition) 2CD Cat No: CRPOPD 59
Disc One
1. F.L.M.
2. Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend)
3. Respectable
4. Feel A Whole Lot Better
5. I'm The One Who Really Loves You
6. More Than Words Can Say
7. System
8. From A Whisper To A Scream
9. Who's Gonna Catch You?
Bonus Tracks
10. That's The Way It Is
11. You Changed My Life *
12. Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend) (Extended Version)
13. Respectable (Extended Version) *
14. F.L.M. (Extended Version)
15. That's The Way It Is (Extended Version)
16. System (Alternative Mix) +
17. More Than Words Can Say (Extended Version) +

Disc Two
1. Respectable (Extra Beats Vocal) *
2. F.L.M. (Two Grooves Under One Nation Remix)
3. I'm The One Who Really Loves You (Yoyo's 12" Mix) +