5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable tardis of a bag
I am a kipling fan, let's make no bones about that, and most things kipling please me. They are uniformly well made, good colours and joy of joys they can be thrown in the washing machine and laundered as and when they need it, giving them much more longevity than normal bags.
Published on 10 Dec 2009 by FussyMissus

3.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, strange colour
I've had Kipling bags before, and they are ideal for holidays; lightweight, deceptively spacious, easy to keep clean. I don't have any complaints about the design of this one - it's a nicely designed bag and holds my tablet, phone, sunspecs, wallet, tissues, makeup, Kindle etc no problem.

The only problem is that it's not the colour it appeared to be online. I...
Published 11 months ago by the dilettante

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable tardis of a bag, 10 Dec 2009
FussyMissus (Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The Defea is for women like me who carry a lot of random stuff around. Not only does it have the usual slots for phone, mp3 and the like, but it also has plenty of pouches and places to store keys, makeup, cheque books, credit cards and so on. Add to that the main compartment of the bag easily takes one sony vaio notebook, mouse, spare battery pack, mousemat and two university books along with a notepad (the paper type) and pens, and STILL has room for the heap of old receipts, the purse and the assortment of clutter I hike around with....and it is still NOT FULL.
The capacity of this bag is even more amazing given that it does not look that large from the outside.

When I am not carrying around heaps of study material, I have loads of room for small amounts of shopping in this bag, meaning no carrying around a spare bag, and this for me is a great bonus.

Reliable and sturdy, I cannot fault this most favourite bag of mine, and the colour is a nice one too - it is advertised as Emerald green, and I thought it would be bright and loud, but it is not, just a nice deep emerald colour, not at all youthful and funky.

Highly reccomended and the best bag I own!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is The One, 24 Nov 2013
The Kipling Defea is the perfect bag. So there.

But seriously... we just got back from a holiday to the Arctic (wait, this is relevant, honest) and my Defea was the ideal travel companion. Allow me to explain.

My husband always ribs me about the amount of luggage I take anywhere. To be fair to him, I usually do take way more than I actually end up using, so this time, despite the fact that I had a legitimate excuse to take more that usual (Arctic temperatures, so need more layers), I packed a medium rather than large suitcase and dug out my Defea to use as carry-on luggage.

Typically I use a Jansport rucksack as carry-on, believing that the 2 straps over the shoulders will make carrying all the rubbish I insist I need on a flight easier. But this didn't fit in with my pared-down packing plan, so the Defea it was.

Wow. Since the bag is so light to begin with, it was remarkably not that much heavier when full. I packed the following with no trouble:

Kindle
Tablet
Purse
Kipling Blossom bag with travel potions and lotions inside (hand sanitiser, emu oil, mini toothpaste, lip balm, mini aquaphor)
worldwide travel plug adaptor
travel bands
a flannel
a sponge (as you do)
keys
spare pare of socks and undies
travel wallet with passports, tickets, boarding passes etc
pens
pocket pack tissues
hairbrush
camera (in Kipling Flashy 2go case, natch)
camera mains charger
bag of crisps (2 bags of crackers on the return journey)
bottle of water
medication
small cross-body bag
ipod in case with earbuds etc

and more, which I have forgotten now. I used the long cross-body strap and honestly forgot I was carrying it, it was so comfortable. Usually my rucksack would weigh me down after a while but the Defea was amazing. The zipped pocket at the back was particularly useful for the travel wallet with passports etc in as was easily accessible.

As carry-on, so far so good.

Now to the holiday itself. I usually take a smaller cross-body bag, one that can be squished and flattened, in my carry-on and then use that as a handbag throughout the holiday. However on this particular holiday, that small bag wasn't appropriate, the reason being it was too small to fit all that one requires in the Arctic.
So out came the Defea again. We travelled by heated coach to various places but inevitably the destination was cold and windy (and wet, mostly) so we had to be prepared. In which case my trusty Defea was able to carry:

purse
tissues
water
usual handbag detritus yadda yadda
but in addition:
Arctic-grade gloves
Hat
snood
guidebooks
extra microfleece base layers
camera

all with apparent ease and comfortably.

For when we were on the ship, the Defea became my 'normal' handbag which it does well, given that it seems to shrink when it is not full and therefore doesn't look ridiculous (the way some big bags with not much in do).

The most important thing I discovered is that it can carry a bottle of Moet, a bottle of Prosecco, and a litre bottle of water with room for more which is just what you want when you are on a ship in the Arctic being battered by hurricane-force storms. You might as well be prepared.

The Defea is practical, extremely comfortable to wear, hard-wearing, and can be bunged in the washing machine. Admittedly, I didn't use it much before this holiday but it has now become my everyday bag.

Heartily recommend and am awaiting delivery of three more Defeas, after which I shall probably seek help for my Kipling addiction!

5.0 out of 5 stars My life in a bag, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Kipling Women's Defea Shoulder Handbag (Shoes)
Well ditto all other comments. Ive had the brown version of this bag for 5 years now. I got it to use a baby changing bag and handbag combined and i'm not lying when I tell you I have used it everyday for the 5 years, it has seen me through 2 babies and all though its not a massive bag it holds everything! I have also had my own childcare company for the last 18 months which means im still in the world of nappies and bottles and the bag lives on! I love this bag and have now ordered one in Tangerine to be my summer bag to match sandals/outfits, you no how it is when you want to look yummy not grubby mummy,lol. The brown one lives on, not a tear, flaw or fault but I fancy a change so this will be my winter bag!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal all purpose bag, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Kipling Women's Defea Shoulder Handbag (Shoes)
This bag is ideal for my use as it has a roomy compartment where you can see at a glance whats in it and the pockets on the outside are easily accessed with one hand. It can be carried either as a handbag or a shoulder bag. It can also sit on the floor without flopping over.

Its not a fashion statement for taking to a wedding or anything like that but is a very practical useful bag. It will be ideal for taking on a budget airline flight where you dont want to pay extra for hold baggage as it can fold up and go into your small flight case until you get through security.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bag that keeps me organised, 5 Aug 2013
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kipling Women's Defea Shoulder Handbag (Shoes)
I love Kipling bags in general, and this style, the Defea is definitely one of the very best. If you are a minimalist, you might find it a bit too big for day to day use, but for travelling, holidays and days out, I find it absolutely ideal. The main compartment is sizeable and within it, there are drop pockets for pens, a large mobile phone (like my Galaxy S3), and a smaller one which would work for a smaller phone but which I use for my inhaler. There is also a zip pocket within the main compartment for things you want to keep extra secure. The main compartment opens with a double ended zip which means you can open it just a little way to find what you want. Having said that, the opening is large enough with the zip fully open to get quite large things inside. There is also a zip pocket across the back of the bag which is quite sizeable. I sometimes use it for my Kindle and when travelling, I use it to keep travel documents/passports etc close to me and secure, yet easily accessible. There are also four smaller outside pockets on the front of the Defea. I can get my Kipling New Money UA Wallet into one of the larger ones, which still gives room for other bits and bobs that you'd like to be easily accessible. Finally, and not obvious from the picture, there are pockets secured by velcro at each end. You can either use these for extra bits and bobs or stand a small bottle of water in one of them if you are out and about for the day.
I tend to use this bag as a shoulder bag in the summer - the straps are just about long enough for that - although with a heavy coat in the winter, this wouldn't be as easy. I should note that only recently have the straps for the defea been long enough to put over the shoulder. You may find that some of the older colours have slightly shorter straps. Compare the pictures of some of the different colours (eg black with brick) to see what I'm talking about. There is also a detachable strap which can be used on the shoulder or across the body for extra security. The bag itself is made of Kipling's trademark slightly crinkled nylon material. Don't be put off by the fact that it's nylon if you haven't had a Kipling bag before. It is highly durable, very easy to clean (I've put one of my Defeas in the washing machine on a cold wash/non bio powder and it's fine) and very shower-proof, not to be mention extremely light-weight. The straps are made from a soft webbing type of material which are comfortable to use.
I most recently got this bag in Brick which is a lovely terra-cotta red/rusty colour, and now own 4 bags in different colours in this style as it is so useful. If you are in need of a medium-large casual handbag with lots of sections for organisation, then I would recommend that you look no further than the Kipling Defea. Now all you need to do is to pick your colour. I'm wondering which colour to purchase next time funds allow ....

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceedingly good bag., 23 July 2010
I am 53 and have never had a handbag. When I have needed to carry something I have used a small rucksack or just pockets. My sister-in-law has one of these bags in red and I thought how nice it looks. So I took the plunge and bought one for myself in black. I am SOOOOO pleased with it. I can carry loads of things; keys have their own little ring ro attach to, so no rummageing around to find them; lots of different pockets making it easy to store wallets, pens, business cards and other things like that. The main section is big enough to comfortably hold a large bible and note pad.
I look after my grandson regularly and it has been easy to carry all the necessary things, change of clothes, food, drink, cars, books, toys, with still plenty of room for my few bits.
Last week a bottle leaked in the main compartment so I stuffed the bag in the washing machine and it has come out as good as new.
Overall, I love the bag and can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defea, 16 May 2012
This is a great handbag. A good size, but not too big, a full size pocket with a zip on the back and small pockets on the front and sides. Two open pockets inside as well as 3 slots for pens. The top handles aren't big enough to wear over the shoulder, but the bag comes with a removable strap which is adjustable for over the shoulder or cross body. I was so pleased with the black one I bought a brown one as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder bag!, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Kipling Women's Defea Shoulder Handbag (Shoes)
I have loads of bags but this Kipling Defea Shoulder Bag has got to my one of my favourite ones! I've got the purple one- the colour is gorgeous, and the quality is superb. You can carry it either on your shoulders with the small handles, or carry it across your body like a handbag. I like the fact that it's machine washable, but I haven't had to wash it yet as I can just wipe clean it very easily. The size is brillaint- it looks small on the outside, but it can fit loads inside. I take my baby girl to baby groups and I manage to fit everything I need inside this bag- including nappies, wipes, cup of drink, baby snacks, my wallet, keys and phone, and there's still lots of room inside. I particularly like all the little compartments which is really handy for putting small things like keys and phone. There are also some compartments on the outside which is good for putting packets of tissues or keeping some coins for easy access. I think this bag is suitable for taking to work, as well as for everyday use. I love this bag- if it ever breaks (which I don't think it will!), I will definitely get the same one again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling bag, 17 April 2012
My wife assures me that the bag is very practical and roomy: good quality fabric, waterproof and lightweight. It arrived very promptly. I am a little concerned that this is Kipling bag number five!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sized bag, 18 Feb 2011
As other reviewers have said this has multiple uses! Handy pockets, shape makes it good to carry even when full. The size is great as a mum of a toddler as fits my stuff and baby stuff. Highly recommend!

ARRAY(0xb4a1ad74)