5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, 20 Mar 2008
This review is from: Black Mages 3: Darkness & Starlight (Audio CD)
To start off I aquired this album from a friend who lives in Japan so I didnt have to wait. From the opening the first track displays the sheer talent that all the men in the band poesses and it just gets better from that. Each song sounds differrent instrumentally, probably as they were all recorded within years of each other for each Final Fantasy game.

The most noteable tracks I found were the Opera from Final Fantasy 6 "Darkness and Starlight", the final boss song "Grand Cross" from Final Fantasy 9 and "Distant Worlds" from Final Fantasy 11, which pretty much sounds like a longer more epic version of Matoya's Cave from their previous album 'The Skies Above'.

I also find strange that 'Distant Worlds' was one of my favourite songs as many people wouldnt even rank Final Fantasy 11 within their top 10 list of Final Fantasy games yet that song is one of the most appealing on the album.

If the talent of Nobuo Uematsu was ever in doubt "Cloud of Darkness" shows off his noteable keyboard ability, while Life probably would move you to tears in the right situation.

Overall an amazing album and I look forward to the next game produced which Nobuo records music for (See Lost Odyssey for more details) and I hope the Black Mages continue producing more albums for years to come, 100/100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third and last album by Black Mages, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Black Mages 3: Darkness & Starlight (Audio CD)
Unfortunately this is the last album by Black Mages before their disbanding in 2010. Very good music and arrangements (from the Final Fantasy series), albeit not on par with the first two CDs in my opinion. Nevertheless, you will likely enjoy it very much if you like Progressive Rock / Metal and played any Final Fantasy game in your youth.

4.0 out of 5 stars If nothing else... surprising, 3 Jan 2009
This review is from: Black Mages 3: Darkness & Starlight (Audio CD)
Since discovering them, I've been a big fan of the Black Mages. I'm a diehard FF devotee and it was great to hear a different spin on the music.

Now then, I love FF8, so... since discovering them, I've been willing the Black Mages to do 'The Extreme'. You can imagine I was pretty excited to see it in the tracklist. The thing is, when I listened to this album, I found some tracks underwhelming, and that includes 'The Extreme'... simply put, something is missing.

There's definitely no bad music here, but a lot of it doesn't live up to what The Black Mages CAN do, and doesn't compare to the original game versions. They are just playing the tracks with different instruments and different keyboard tones, and it leaves me wondering what happened to that special something... the spark that brought about brilliant moments like launching into The Legendary Beast in the middle of The Man with the Machine Gun.

However, as much as the tracks I was eagerly anticipating didn't quite satisfy, there were some pleasant surprises, first and foremost being Darkness and Starlight itself. The best thing about it is that I wasn't expecting to hear it. This was the track that clawed back a 4th star (and with a different leading lady it might have been 5)

Black Mages 3: Darkness & Starlight
Black Mages 3: Darkness & Starlight by Black Mages (Audio CD - 2008)