Published on 4 Nov. 2008 by Nick D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty 4
Thank you so much for my item, it came just in time for christmas as it was part of my fiancee stocking present last year 09. He is so happy with this game and i would order from you again when needed.
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets the standard for all first-person shooters - simply incredible, 4 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
Be warned, if you play this game too much, you may need treatment for post traumatic stress. It sucks you in and spits you out through game play that is totally involving and realistic. As an ex-soldier well past his youth, this game brings back my Army days very vividly. I loved it! Other reviewers have used expressions like this is about as close to real warfare as you would ever want to get. I fully agree.

COD4 has a very convincing storyline which knits the diverse missions together very well. The other soldiers who are your comrades are sophisticated and convincing with an admirable depth to their characters. (I am sure that Gaz is voiced by jason Statham, but couldn't find his name in the credits.) Everything about this game makes it an experience that takes you on an adventure. It's pure escapism. Providing you play the game on the easiest setting, it won't steal too many days of your life. Go for the more difficult setting and you will die many times.

The weapons and tactics are exceptionally well thought out. There's a wide range of small arms to choose from, (my favourite being the M-203 grenade launcher). Nice touches are the C4 and Claymore mines. These elements make it a game that rewards intelligence rather more than a ready, fire, aim approach to shooting everything that moves. Everything about COD4 has a slickness and professionalism that is simply not found in other games. You can see that they've learned from their experience with the first three games in the Call of Duty series. The on screen information is much better laid out, for example. You can also access option menus and weapons much more intuitively.

The game works well on the Mac. My copy is loaded onto an iMac with a Core duo processor running at 2.66 Ghz and 2 GB of memory. No issues whatsoever.

If i had one gripe it is that I would have liked there to be more missions. That probably means I enjoyed it so much i wanted more. Yes, it is exceptional. In fact, it makes me wonder what the hell they will do for a follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imac 20" 2.16GB, 1 GB Ram, 1600 Radion, 4 Aug. 2009
Mr. R. Cooper "'Cooper_trooper'" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
I bought this game a while back for my mac and thought it was OK, however once i disabled my 'little snitch' application and accessed the multiplayer function..... This is where the game comes into its own! Absolutely fantastic online gaming you can choose between 15,000 different servers Team Deathmatch, Search and Destroy, Domination, and Free for All. its not just about killing loads of other online gamers there are challenges too. You start of as a private and the more kills you get the more weapons/attachments/perks you unlock until you get to a 5 star general. Even after a year I am still playing the online multiplayer game quite a bit, and it has sparked my interest to go back and play the single player again.

I have an old white Imac 20" 2.16GB, 1GB RAM, 1600 Radion card, and it plays really smoothly so if you have this model and above you will have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Don't hesitate in purchasing this fantastic first person shooter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game (6 stars ******), 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
I have an imac 3.06 running with 4G ram and a Nvidia 8800 GS graphics card. COD 4 played superbly without a glitch or hitch on the top graphics settings. The game was basically a pleasure to play. The plot is worryingly plausible and the tactics and scene scenarios and overall feeling of good value for money leave you feeling completely satisfied with your purchase. Turn up the volume loud, pop a nice tin of beer {or pour a coffee if it's too early} and commence saving the world all from the comfort of your computer screen. Always make sure you charge/reload your magazine during pauses in the action because the enemy in COD4 is quite a lot more cunning than any of the MOA or earlier Call of Duty games. As other reviewers have said the game is unfortunately a bit short perhaps 8 hours on the easiest level with a bit of R & R and pausing along the way to check on the family and put the cat out. Once 'unlocked" however the Arcade missions add continued interest and challenge. This is a brilliant game and the producers should be congratulated. I am sure you will not regret the purchase. Multiplayer is not at all easy and a bit of an embarrassment as you get wasted so often but I have already made Private 8th Class and am hoping for a promotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game,Pick This Up If You Have A Mac!, 16 April 2009
M. Sheppard "MS" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
I got this game today and have been very impressed with it on my Mac! I have an iMac 20inch Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz with 2GB Ram and a Nvidia 9400! I cranked everything up to the max and the game plays fine! It looks so real and the graphics jump out of my wonderful iMac screen! The gameplay is very edgy and it draws you in! The sound is also very impressive, it all ads to the awesome experiance of the game! Must have if you own a Mac! O and download the 1.7.1 patch from the Apple site because then we can show those PC guys who's computer owns on online multiplayer! And it also makes the game take even more advantage of your hardware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
First of all, buy this game. If you own a Mac that is upto its required standards (thats pretty much every Mac since 2006, as this is Intel Macs only), this game should be in your collection unless you don't like FPS games. It has a very well thought out, highly cinematic sinlge player, that is a bit short (but that seems to be trend with modern games I remember when people complained that it took only 10 hours to finish Metal Gear Solid 1, but that would be considered long by todays standards).The graphics are very good with a lot of options to change the details so that your computer can run it well. My 2.8ghz Macbook Pro with the 9600GT grpahics card will run this at maximum resolution (1440x900 which is the highest native resolution for this model) with pretty much everything turned up full, its only when you turn some of the more negligable details on/on high, that your frame rate will drop below 30 frames-per-second.

The online play is fantastic, with a wealth of well balanced guns, perks that can make or break your game, rewards for killstreaks (radar, airstrikes, heli's) and enough maps, and game modes to keep you going for years (which it has done, after a 2007 release, almost 2 years on and there are still thousands if not millions stil playing online). It may only be a little hile until Modern Warfare 2, but that doesnt mean people will stop playing this game for a bit. The only thing that irritated me was the lack of offline multiplayer (with bots) Theyve been doing that for years in Unreal Tournament (and isn't that kinda what you do in single player anyway?) and it would help give new players the chance to learn the maps (if youre new on COD4, expect to get killed plenty online, you can pick it up quite quickly once you've learned the maps, but be patient).

The whole frames per second debate will always rage amongst PC gamers, but its all a load of baloney. Most screns have a maximum refresh rate of 60-75 hertz, that means you can only have a maximum of 60-75 frames per second. Also, more importantly, films play at 24-30 frames per second, I'm pretty sure that if high-def cinema (including action films) play at those rates and are perfectly smooth, then games dont need it either. For this reason many PS3 games (such as the beautifully crafted Killzone 2, only runs at 30fps). So next time some PC gamer spouts about his 125fps, just ignore him/her, your Mac will outdo his/her PC in most cases anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call of Duty 4: Not In WW2 At Last, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
This game is long overdue, Call of Duty 3 should never have been made. Call of Duty is out of World War Two at last.

This has a damn good singleplayer and multiplayer. The graphics are truly amazing. The lack of a health bar and other on-screen information you usually get in other games isn't much of a pain. The sounds of the guns are LOUD and realistic.

It has introduced my mac to the gaming world. I fully recommend to anyone with an intel mac, who can't be bothered upgrading from a PS2 to a PS3. The multiplayer mods are amazing and with a few apps from the internet, you can make your own mod. All good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth buying, if you didn't know that already., 1 July 2011
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
This game was an absolute delight, buying new meant that I could go online without a previous owner still using the game code for themselves on multiplayer. Haven't tried the campaign yet as I have already completed it on my Xbox 360 but I can safely say that the campaign is one of the best around. Graphics are immense, campaign is easy to follow the story and the dfficulty settings allow for every level of player from the complete "noob" to the veteran of Call of Duty Games. Online multiplayer is a slight different story. Upon my first game of playing, 2 people were kicked from the server and one was banned for the use of an auto-aim style bot. It is often very obvious when the kill cam comes up that a person has used software to enhance the ability to win, but most often than not, this is not a problem. Finding normal non-botting players online is very easy once you know which servers to play on. Be warned, highly addictive online, may consume a lot of time initially due to the rush of playing it. I also purchased a wireless receiver to use my Xbox 360 controller (Supposedly Microsoft but it just says XBOX 360 instead of Microsoft, also read the reviews for the freeware that allows you to use the kit properly before you purchase a wireless receiver because mine is unable to find the controller despite using guides and changing coding through the terminal).

So, overall I give this game a 5/5 for fun for the mac because it is one of the only games out there for the mac that has top quality graphics and has a massive fan base other than retro games. But an overall rating of 4/5 because of the occasional botting and lack of friends who own the game for the mac. Would be amazing to play as a team of friends like on other consoles. Unable to give 4.5/5 so has to be 4/5. Thanks for the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game on the MAC but no gamepad controller support, 24 Mar. 2010
David Thomas "david_thomas_uk" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
As the title says, this is a great game. I own COD 4 and Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 and see no difference in game quality or speed between the games console and the Mac Pro and the Macbook I use to run this game when travelling. Having searched the internet high and low on how to get the PS3 USB or Bluetooth attached controller to work with the game (there are ways to do it), the methods needed are complex and highly technical.

I personally don't like using keyboard & mouse for first person shoot-ups and COD Modern Warfare is a game where you need the speed and quick options of a gamepad. I am no great combatant but on the PS3 version in multiplayer I compete quite well. On the Mac version with keyboard & mouse, I get my backside kicked.

If only the game had built in options to deselect keyboard & mouse input and select controller, then this would have gained 5 stars.

The Apple Mac with Snow Leopard generically now supports the PS3 controller on Bluetooth, so I am hoping a patch or upgrade may come, but with Modern Warfare 2 out (not yet on Mac) it is unlikley there will be any further develpment for COD 4.

Don't forget to download the 1.7.1 patch from the Apple website to enhance Multiplayer capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly incredible!, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
I've always loved video games, and although I haven't completely lost touch in recent times, since selling my PS2 a few years ago my experiences of modern games has primarily been the Football Manager series, a bit of Pro Evo on my PSP, and a few games on the iPhone.

I decided to test the processor and graphics card on my MacBook Pro a good little test, and having heard good things about the Call Of Duty series, I went for this.

All I can say is what have I been doing for the last few years? The last first person shooter series I played was Medal Of Honour on the PS2. This is from a different planet. When people say the graphics are photo realistic, they're not over exaggerating. And the gameplay is so immersive. I love the fact that you're running around with fellow soldiers who are actually speaking and shouting instructions at you.

I've only had this for a day, but my mind is made up. This is the most amazing game I've ever played. I want more!

If you've got a Mac with some decent power, this is a must. You'll be bowled over straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious game, 20 Oct. 2008
P. Fabrici (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac) (Video Game)
I bought this serious game last week and I couldn't stop playing it until I went to the end.
Graphic and sound is so brilliant, that you actually feel like you are really fighting.
It's like a war movie with nonstop action. Once you started, you are not going to stop to the last
mission without break. Be prepared for sleeplessly nights.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Mac)