5.0 out of 5 stars Superb optics
Published 14 months ago by Steve

2.0 out of 5 stars autofocus problems
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Lens for Pentax

I was delighted to get this lens, however this was short lived.

Published 15 months ago by Jeff

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb optics, 7 Sep 2013
I've bought this as the best option for high image quality in the up to 200mm f2.8 zoom lens region on my Pentax K-30 without spending over £500 or so. The Pentax 60-250 f4 would match it optically but it's not as bright and costs over twice as much but does have quiet AF whereas the Tamron is body driven screw drive old school AF. The HSM Sigma 70-200 f2.8 isn't in the same class optically by all accounts so I never considered it, it's also much more expensive. Pentax cameras from the K-7 on are quite fast with most screw drive lenses though, they have torquey motors and this made this Tamron a viable option on the K-30 (in theory anyway).

Testing the lens, it meets all my expectations for image quality. I found a little body AF adjustment made it even better as it was slightly front focusing at f2.8 - it's as sharp as zooms ever come - as good as most primes in fact throughout all of the 70-200 range. f4 seems to be a bit sharper than f2.8 but f2.8 is fine. I took a load of cat pictures indoors focusing on her nose from across the room and every pore and whisker was razor sharp. Focus holds good if the zoom is adjusted after an AF lock - a handy quality. Smaller apertures are also great, maintaining sharpness, important for obtaining deeper depth of field when needed. The AF is fast enough but there may be the odd hesitation and fine adjustment in time honoured Pentax screw drive tradition - I think release priority rather than focus priority in the K-30 will sort that one out. It's nowhere near as noisy as a lot of screw drive lenses. As long as the main priority is image quality, which it is for me, it's a great lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy wonder, 23 May 2010
Eriksson Tord (Sweden) - See all my reviews
I have had my Tamron 70-200/2.8 for a few months now, and while I am still learning, I can say, without hesitation, that it is a lens you can easily get attached to! The optics are superb, and while the bulk is at times annoying I can find no fault with this lens at it both is a good macro, and a good zoom tele lens, quite in the same leage as Canon's, or Nikon's, offerings, but at a budget price! Adding a monopod to it increases its usefulness, and improves balance, a lot. I have used it with a hefty Metz AF-1 flash on top, and a Manfrotto monopod, which adds up to a fairly heavy package, but it balances much better with the monopod than without (kind of poor man's steady cam .-)!).

Some doesn't like the focusing, as it is a tad slow, and in weak light it sometimes gets the focus wrong, but everything else is so great. Excellent macro lens, too!

But I heartily recommend a monopod with it!

Avialiable for most makes of SLRs, and independent tests have shown it far better optically than the Sigma 70-200!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lens, 2 Mar 2014
This is a dated design with slow auto focus but the images are tact sharp wide open. Yes good optics and fit for purpose at a low Amazon price to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 7 Sep 2010
I am only a keen amateur so not a perfect reviewer but I am very pleased with this lens. I use it for shooting rugby matches in sunshine, afternoon gloom and under floodlights and it copes very well. When firing off a series of shots as a player runs it does auto focus fast enough even for the quickest wingers and I have captured several great action shots.
It is fairly heavy but not difficult to balance...and I am an older woman not a fit young thing;) I don't bother with a tripod or monopod as I prefer to move around a lot but shooting from a crouch with elbow on knee gives perfect support and no wobble.
I have no idea how it compares to the same Nikon lens but given the price difference this one has to be worth a try and it works for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value and quality., 31 Aug 2014
N. Higham (north west U.K) - See all my reviews
I am lucky enough to have two dslr's canon 40d and pentax K30, to buy the equivalent lens for the canon would have cost me 4times as much.IS is in camera with the pentax so I don't have to pay for it in the lens , I have tried the canon 70-200 2.8 is ,great lens, this tamron matches it in most respects,colour, sharpness and bg blur,not as quick to lock on but for £1200.00 I can live with that.
Feels good in the hand not too heavy, if you have a camera with built in IS get this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this in the studio!, 3 Feb 2014
Used this in the studio a couple times now before writing a review. All I can say is WOW! the optics of this is amazing. Noisey focus but I can live with that as the performance and level of detail is excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Next step up in Lense, 15 Sep 2014
B. Bahra "Boo" (The Shires, Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Great value for a amateur user. The lense is well built but heavy and you would require a large camera bag to keep it in, but you do get a padded bag to keep it in if you dont. The picture quality as a jump from a zoom 18-250 is really good and I look forward to using it on landscape and outdoor sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars wild life, 7 Jan 2014
Mrs. Carole Crichton (UK) - See all my reviews
Good for getting close ups and quite sharp. Have been using it for bird watching and as I am an amateur have been impressed with the results. It is a bit heavy but got to expect that with a larger lens.

2.0 out of 5 stars autofocus problems, 27 Aug 2013
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Lens for Pentax

I was delighted to get this lens, however this was short lived.

I found images to be soft at f2.8 to f4. When I investigated further I found that it was front focusing at 200mmm and back focusing at 70mm. This is impossible to correct in camera so I returned it. Got a replacement - very fast service from Amazon. However this one also had the problem. I must point out my camera is a Pentax k5 and my other Tamron lens, a 28-75 is ok.

I urge you to check out your lens for this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality lens at a reasonable price I could not ..., 24 Nov 2014
Top quality lens at a reasonable price I could not justify Nikon prices but this is spot on and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference in picture quality