5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy wonder
Published on 23 May 2010 by Eriksson Tord

2.0 out of 5 stars autofocus problems
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Lens for Pentax

I was delighted to get this lens, however this was short lived.

Published 11 months ago by Jeff

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavy wonder, 23 May 2010
Eriksson Tord (Sweden) - See all my reviews
I have had my Tamron 70-200/2.8 for a few months now, and while I am still learning, I can say, without hesitation, that it is a lens you can easily get attached to! The optics are superb, and while the bulk is at times annoying I can find no fault with this lens at it both is a good macro, and a good zoom tele lens, quite in the same leage as Canon's, or Nikon's, offerings, but at a budget price! Adding a monopod to it increases its usefulness, and improves balance, a lot. I have used it with a hefty Metz AF-1 flash on top, and a Manfrotto monopod, which adds up to a fairly heavy package, but it balances much better with the monopod than without (kind of poor man's steady cam .-)!).

Some doesn't like the focusing, as it is a tad slow, and in weak light it sometimes gets the focus wrong, but everything else is so great. Excellent macro lens, too!

But I heartily recommend a monopod with it!

Avialiable for most makes of SLRs, and independent tests have shown it far better optically than the Sigma 70-200!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb optics, 7 Sep 2013
I've bought this as the best option for high image quality in the up to 200mm f2.8 zoom lens region on my Pentax K-30 without spending over 500 or so. The Pentax 60-250 f4 would match it optically but it's not as bright and costs over twice as much but does have quiet AF whereas the Tamron is body driven screw drive old school AF. The HSM Sigma 70-200 f2.8 isn't in the same class optically by all accounts so I never considered it, it's also much more expensive. Pentax cameras from the K-7 on are quite fast with most screw drive lenses though, they have torquey motors and this made this Tamron a viable option on the K-30 (in theory anyway).

Testing the lens, it meets all my expectations for image quality. I found a little body AF adjustment made it even better as it was slightly front focusing at f2.8 - it's as sharp as zooms ever come - as good as most primes in fact throughout all of the 70-200 range. f4 seems to be a bit sharper than f2.8 but f2.8 is fine. I took a load of cat pictures indoors focusing on her nose from across the room and every pore and whisker was razor sharp. Focus holds good if the zoom is adjusted after an AF lock - a handy quality. Smaller apertures are also great, maintaining sharpness, important for obtaining deeper depth of field when needed. The AF is fast enough but there may be the odd hesitation and fine adjustment in time honoured Pentax screw drive tradition - I think release priority rather than focus priority in the K-30 will sort that one out. It's nowhere near as noisy as a lot of screw drive lenses. As long as the main priority is image quality, which it is for me, it's a great lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 7 Sep 2010
Alyson Bowman (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I am only a keen amateur so not a perfect reviewer but I am very pleased with this lens. I use it for shooting rugby matches in sunshine, afternoon gloom and under floodlights and it copes very well. When firing off a series of shots as a player runs it does auto focus fast enough even for the quickest wingers and I have captured several great action shots.
It is fairly heavy but not difficult to balance...and I am an older woman not a fit young thing;) I don't bother with a tripod or monopod as I prefer to move around a lot but shooting from a crouch with elbow on knee gives perfect support and no wobble.
I have no idea how it compares to the same Nikon lens but given the price difference this one has to be worth a try and it works for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lens, 2 Mar 2014
This is a dated design with slow auto focus but the images are tact sharp wide open. Yes good optics and fit for purpose at a low Amazon price to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this in the studio!, 3 Feb 2014
Used this in the studio a couple times now before writing a review. All I can say is WOW! the optics of this is amazing. Noisey focus but I can live with that as the performance and level of detail is excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars wild life, 7 Jan 2014
Mrs. Carole Crichton (UK) - See all my reviews
Good for getting close ups and quite sharp. Have been using it for bird watching and as I am an amateur have been impressed with the results. It is a bit heavy but got to expect that with a larger lens.

2.0 out of 5 stars autofocus problems, 27 Aug 2013
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro Lens for Pentax

I was delighted to get this lens, however this was short lived.

I found images to be soft at f2.8 to f4. When I investigated further I found that it was front focusing at 200mmm and back focusing at 70mm. This is impossible to correct in camera so I returned it. Got a replacement - very fast service from Amazon. However this one also had the problem. I must point out my camera is a Pentax k5 and my other Tamron lens, a 28-75 is ok.

I urge you to check out your lens for this issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it possible to fall in love with a lens?, 31 Mar 2012
Having done a lot of research and reading up on the Tamron vs the Sony/Sigma equivalents, I purchased this based on the fact that a lot of people rate the optics on a par with the Nikon which is generally considered to be the best.

What has been said is all true. Optically this lens is superb. I cannot fault it at all. The focus is a bit slow and in low light does have a tendency to hunt around a bit. But you can forgive all this when you look at the price which if you shop around is < 50% of the Sony equivalent. I'm told the focus speed isn't any faster on the Sony equivalent but I've not had the pleasure of comparing. It is noticably slower than the Nikon but if like me you have a Sony body then it's a moot point anyway.

The beauty of this lens is that whilst your Canon/Nikon friends have to pay much more for a IS/VR lens, Sony bodies have steadyshot built in so this 'cheap' lens becomes a bad boy out of the box. And trust me, it's essential when trying to hold a lens of this weight up all day to take photos. Build quality is excellent.

I've had some fantastic results shooting with this lens at a wedding and whilst it's not perfect, when you factor in the price you really can't grumble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this baby!, 9 Nov 2013
J. Semple (UK) - See all my reviews
Got this lens promptly from Amazon and at a keen price and I love it.

This lens is very much as described - big and with some weight. The weight is not a problem for me but this must be distinguished from a pure consumer and lighter lens like for example, Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 which is also a good performing lens.

I chose this version over the more recent Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 version which is heavier and reportedly has
* faster focus with its Hyper Sonic Motor - well, my version has excellent auto focus and I have read too many reports of failure in lenses with such motors and so I prefer to do without;
* Optical Stabilisation [OS] - I already have OS in the camera body so no need for that.

This lens which I consider to be robust in build terms, delivers excellent image quality and has the magical f/2.8 aperture for isolating the subject matter from the background. Although not advertised in the Amazon web page, this lens comes with a 5 year European warranty. I do not think you can go wrong with this excellent lens that Amazon delivered the next day. I am well pleased with the Amazon service.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavyweight in its class, 12 Sep 2013
L. R. Wiggin (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I would probaby have given the lens 4.5/5 if available but chose 5 because I didn't want to under value it.
I can't compare it to the equivalent Nikon or Sigma because I haven't used them. That it is considerably cheaper is a matter of fact but really shouldn't be a factor in the review because all photographers want to know is if it is sharp, fast, etc. Well, it is. In good light I can shoot at apertures of f5.6 at 1/8000s (with a Nikon D7100). Photos are sharp at 2.8 but I think even better at f4. In less good light conditions you will need to up the ISO, 400 is usually enough to keep the shutter speed high. One bonus I didn't really expect is that at wide apertures, you do get some lovely bokeh.
For me the lens works best for portraits & for close ups of insects, flowers, etc.
The reason i would have given it 4.5 is that in poor light focussing is sometimes a little slow, so for wildlife & sport it might not be the lens you would choose.
The lens is heavy but I expect that is usual for these lenses.
Overall then I'm happy with this lens & enjoy using it despite its slight imperfections.