4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but there are better chargers in this price range
Published on 4 Oct. 2012 by Adamovich

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be
Published on 12 Dec. 2012 by R. Higgins

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but there are better chargers in this price range, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Energizer Universal Battery Charger with Smart LCD 2-5Hrs Charging Time for Ni-MH AAA AA C D 9V Ref 629874 (Electronics)
I got this charger over year ago so I could charge batteries other than AA and AAA that my previous charger was limited to, and it is still functioning well. However the limitation of charging pairs of batteries (other than 9V), is major. Many toys use an odd number of batteries, and even if you wait for pairs to both be used they often aren't fully drained. Recently this charger indicated that pairs of batteries were faulty,so I purchased a AccuCell BC-700 / 9 in 1 intelligent Battery Charger for my AA and AAA batteries which includes individual charging as well as test, discharge and refresh functions. This has recovered all but one of the 'faulty' batteries and I would recommend that charger for those who don't need the universal capability. If I was buying a new universal charger now I would go for the Duracell Multi Battery Charger 6-8hrs Capacity, NiMH, 8x AA or 8xAAA, 4xC, 4xD and 1x9V Batteries - 75044676 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific charger!, 13 May 2012
I was having problems with batteries holding their charge when recharged via a quick (15 minute) charger and wanted a replacement charger that gave an indication as to the state of the battery. This unit is proven to do exactly that and, after only 2-3 days, I am delighted with it.
Place a pair or two of batteries - and it takes a wide variety of types - in the charger, plug in the lead, switch it on at the socket and you are off. The display indicator shows the state of each battery i.e. charging / full / bad and, if charging, indicates progress via one, two or three flashing indicator bars. After the requisite 2-5 hours charging time has elapsed the job is complete. It is as easy as that.
If you are after an easy to use yet efficient charger then I can wholly recommend this Energizer Universal Battery Charger with Smart LCD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be, 12 Dec. 2012
R. Higgins "Electronically challenged" (Shropshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
No, it wasn't that good after all. However, silver lining and all that, the power cable fits the previous charger we had so I use the combination to charge my batteries. As we mainly use AA and AAA it's not a problem. The problem happened the second time I charged batteries with it, or tried to. It would not pick up that there were 2 AA batteries in it, even after placing two fully charged AA's in it. It refused to pick them up. Good when it worked though, but, just one charge and then Kaput! Not good is it Energizer? Hmmmm? Hence the 2 stars, and that's because it woked as advertised the first time, and I can use the chargers plug for our old charger. That's a Uniross by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save a fortune on batteries!, 8 Jan. 2015
Silvester (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I recently purchased the Energizer Universal Battery Charger & rechargeable batteries having purchased an outdoor rechargeable LED light in favour of paying an electrician to wire a mains powered one in for me.

The unit required 3x D batteries which made things a bit awkward as they normally come in packs of 2's and the price of these can vary pretty significantly. I'd also read that the batteries generally needed replacing just over once a month and didn't fancy having to buy new batteries that frequently. As such, I made the decision to go for rechargeable batteries with a charging unit.

Below is what I found:

*** What's included / Not included? ***

Included with this package is the Charging Unit itself, a power supply and a set of instructions.

No free batteries included I'm afraid!

*** How long do batteries take to charge? ***

Below are approximate times for charging from empty:

AA Batteries:

2500mAh - 4.0 Hours

9V Batteries:

175mAh - 4.0 Hours

*** Pro's ***

✓ Charge up to 4 batteries at the same time.
✓ Charges AA, AAA, C, D and 9V batteries.
✓ Save money using rechargeable batteries rather than having to pay over and over again.
✓ Cheaper than the alternative charges from brands I recognised.
✓ Clear display which displays the word `Full' when batteries are fully charged & shows an indicator of progress throughout charge.

*** Con's ***

X Takes a few hours to charge, however have found this unit to be more effective compared to chargers which are quicker.
X Pulling back the metal negative contact can be quite painful due to its jagged edge. I found the easiest way to insert batteries was to use the negative side of the battery to push the lever downwards rather than trying to use your hand.
X The lid feels a bit flimsy, but as long as you look after it, you shouldn't have any problems.
X Can't charge a single battery, have to charge batteries in identical pairs.
X Basic instructions, however its not hard to work out how to use it.
X Fairly pricey, however will pay for itself in the long run & is still cheaper than the Duracell alternative.
X Fairly bulky in design.

*** Conclusion ***

I know I have listed more con's than pro's, but I just wanted to make people aware of the small concerns people might have, although they haven't really caused me any problems.

Personally I am pleased with this charging unit and would recommend to others paying for standard batteries. I'm confident this unit will save me a small fortune in the long run.

2.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly poor quality - there are better items out there, 8 Sept. 2012
I bought the Energizer and Duracell chargers at the same time. Basically they do the same thing except the Energizer charger and the batteries getting charged in it get VERY hot. The Duracell charger takes a bit longer to run the charge cycle but remains cool throughout the charge, so do the batteries. Also, the Energizer charger is made of really cheap tacky plastic and feels like it will fall apart at any moment, whilst the Duracell charger is made of higher quality materials and feels sturdy. Get the Duracell charger, it does the same thing only it's better quality and doesn't overheat.

1.0 out of 5 stars USELESS!!, 20 Feb. 2015
I have about 20 rechargeable batteries all waiting to be recharged since my previous Energizer Universal charger stopped working (after many good working years I must add). Two days after I received the new charger and I have tried all the batteries and the display says they are all bad and refuses to charge any of them. Some are energizer batteries and most are relatively new.
So basically the new charger is completely useless to me - unless I go out and buy a whole new load of rechargeable batteries.
Next steps from here will be to buy a new 18v output adaptor so I can use my old charger again. Maybe I'll use this new charger as a clutch bag or something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it said it does on the box!, 27 Dec. 2011
Tin Tactoo "Tin Tactoo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Great bit of kit so far! - I did as it said in the very basic instructions and once the actual batteries are fully charged, the word 'Full' comes up - simple or what? - there is no problem with seeing the display panel as somebody outlined in an earlier review unless you want to contort your body to achieve this greatness.. All in all, it's charged my 'D' and 'AA' cells with no problems and would happily buy another if required as for the loot paid for it, its a gift - I note another concern is asking in excess of £22 for the very same charger PLUS delivery....

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery charger, 21 Oct. 2013
the product arrived well before the estimated date, it was well packed and in good condition, it is a very good and versatile charger able to charge various size batteries, I would recommend this product to all. Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Better chargers elsewhere, 21 Jan. 2015
With this charger you have to charge in matched pairs so not ideal. The big problem is the display as it gives the same display for the two batteries .... if it indicates there is a bad battery you don't know which one. The instructions are next to useless and only provide limited information. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rechargeable battery system I've used, 22 Jan. 2013
ursham78 (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
It's years since I used rechargeable batteries and how things have moved on. I now have a 3 yr old son and so many of his toys require batteries. I just wish I had have thought of getting rechargeables for the last 3 yrs worth of toys, I would have saved myself a small fortune! I specifically bought this Battery Charger and batteries to use with the Leapfrog Leappad 2 my son got for Christmas. I figured, he is going to go through batteries in no time as the plug-in adaptor for the Leappad is not always convenient (its a pain actually). The price seems expensive initially for the universal charger and two sets of 4 pack batteries but I can already see the benefits and I've only had possession of it for a week (he gets about half hour a day on it and a bit longer on days off from nursery and weekends). I still have not had to charge first set of batteries, although I did put the new ones in initially to grasp how it worked and I must say, I am very impressed. Amazon is the cheapest place I have found this particular universal charger and the highest mAh batteries (I got the 800mAh AAA and 2300mAh AA batteries to start us off. I decided on a universal charger as opposed to a charger that just charges AAA and AA batteries as his toys take all types of batteries including the 9V (square batteries)and the larger round batteries (C & D)). This charges all of these batteries. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It feels like a bigger spend on batteries but it really is worth it long term.
I am back on today to buy more batteries for this, so when one set runs out and is charging, I will have a fully charged set ready.
Don't hesitate if your considering buying these, but do shop around all the big retailers for the best price and do check the mAh on the batteries you buy. The higher the better. I got the AA in 2300mAh which was new for 2012 apparently and lasts up to 6 times longer. Argos are selling their 4 pack just as cheap but the mAh is not as high so waiting a few days for it come through the post is definitely worth it especially if you have free UK delivery. You in effect are getting more for your money at no extra cost.