1,244
TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE
Colour Name: BlackChange
Price:£1.14+Free shipping

on 1 February 2015
Contrary to other reviews, this device will work with Windows 8, though I did have to re-install a driver. I use it to play music via my bluetooth speakers, though it occasionally gets interference from other signals e.g. my phone / wifi, causing the sound to become choppy.

Below is a simple guide of how to fix the driver. Disclaimer: This worked for me though I make no guarantees for you.

* Plug in the adapter, Windows automatically starts installing some drivers, wait for that to finish.
* Open 'Control Panel' >> 'Device manager'
* Expand 'Bluetooth'

Here should be "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" or something similar. If it's there, and the bluetooth icon has popped up in the tray then you are good to go. However in my case, Windows installed "Generic Bluetooth Radio" instead. So...

* Right click "Generic Bluetooth Radio"
* Select "Update driver software"
* Select "Browse for driver software on my computer"
* Select "Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer"
* Now "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" should be on the list, select it and click 'Next'
* Correct driver will now install, may need to restart computer for changes to take effect.

You can now pair your PC with your bluetooth device. This is really beyond the scope of a product review but I'll include it anyway.

* Open up 'Control Panel' >> 'Devices and Printers'
* Right click 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' >> 'Bluetooth settings'
* Check "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" >> 'OK'
* Put your device (e.g. phone/speakers) into visible / pairing mode
* Now click the bluetooth icon in the tray
* 'Add a bluetooth device'
* ALTERNATIVELY: in METRO mode, Open 'PC Settings' >> 'PC and Devices' >> 'Bluetooth'
* Wait for the device to be found, then click 'Pair'.
* NOTE: this seems pretty temperamental. My speakers were found after about 30 seconds, though my phone took several attempts to find. If your device is not found, try moving it closer to the adapter then try again.
* If you are asked to enter a password, try 0000 as this is the default for most speakers.
* Finally, uncheck "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" in 'bluetooth settings' if you want.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 March 2009
I bought this to fit my laptop. Plugged it in, switched on, found and paired my headset and phone. It also works seamlessly with Kubuntu Linux, which makes a refreshing change.
What I like is its neatness. I can bag the laptop and there's no protrusion to catch and break, which is what happened to the last bluetooth adapter.
on 30 November 2008
I plugged this into a rear USB port of a Dell laptop running windows XP-Pro, and there it has stayed for months - it's so small that you barely notice it, although I do take care to pack the laptop in the bag with the dongle to the top. It uses the Microsoft drivers (much nicer than BlueSoleil) and is very easy to pair with, for example, mobile phones. I even bought a second one for my work PC.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 May 2010
For it's price, this is a neat little item to add to your computer. Here's my take on it. I would buy this for basic bluetooth functionality (pairing mobiles). For more advanced bluetooth features on Windows I'd go for the marginally pricier Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter * Class 2 which has excellent bundled software. Fedora 12 recognises and loads the drivers for this dongle automatically.

Mine has a CSR chip inside. It did not come with a driver disk (BlueSoleil). Wrote to the seller and received a good response. Was sent a link to download the driver from their website (v2.7.0.35 VOIP release). From what I read on the net, the Windows XP bluetooth drivers are pretty basic (would probably be ok for mobile phone data transfer). I wanted to use all the available bluetooth profiles and hence wanted the driver that the product was supposed to ship with. When I installed the Bluesoleil software it told me that it was working in an evaluation mode with 5MB limit. On writing to Bluesoleil support, they suggested that I upgrade to the paid version of the driver!

So I went ahead and bought a Belkin one for my Windoze laptop and use this one for my Fedora 12 box. I was able to use the Headset and A2DP profiles on the Linux box in addition to standard mobile phone pairing and file transfer.

<== This may be of interest to Linux users ==>

ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.14
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 June 2009
For £2.90 including postage this was an absolute bargain. I plugged it into my XP Acer Aspire One netbook and it was instantly noticed (same for my XP desktop downstairs). I was able to easily pair my mobile (Sony Ericsson) and transfer a few pictures from PC to phone and phone to PC. I was also able to instantly use my phone as a remote control! When I moved the arrows (D-Pad) on my phone, it move the cursor on my netbook, and the left and right clicks worked aswell! This is brilliant for presentations etc. I even played GTA: Vice City with the remote! However, the best bit was that I was instantly able to wirelessly tether my mobile to my netbook. I can now share my phone's internet connection with my netbook when I'm out of range of my wi-fi without having to install any awful, complicated Sony Ericsson drivers

Delivered in about 4 days from ordering, this is a brilliant piece of kit. The rounded semi-circular design is without a doubt the best because it makes it seem even smaller and reduces any risk of it getting caught and pulled out. However, on my Aspire One, it does still stick out my about 9mm, but the benefits far outweigh this 9mm!

It looks a bit tacky in the photograph, but when you receive it, it feels quite a lot nicer. It'll probably remain hidden inside a USB port on your PC anyway, so you won't even notice it's presence. I would highly recommend this over any other mini bluetooth dongle available on Amazon. It is cheaper, and it also supports A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets, so you can listen to music from your PC via bluetooth, whereas some of the more expensive dongles don't have this feature.

I would definitely recommend this dongle, and if you don't like it you can return it or throw it away for £2.90!

JoelHodder
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 April 2015
I will be impressed if this review is published. Typical Chinese crap. Amazon claim to be customer orientated how they protect the buyers weeding out any dodgy sellers. That's a lie. Those rules only exist for European and U.S sellers. China and Chinese sellers produce more knock off counterfeit crap than any other country on the planet. If a European seller or U.S seller has 1% negative feedback it's goodbye. It seems these strict rules that were brought in to protect the customer do not apply to the Chinese sellers who sell counterfeit crap daily and have thousands of unsatisfied customers. Amazon actively seeks to abuse it's loyal customers these days and have introduced a 2 tier standard. Yet another knock off product from China has arrived on my doormat. I received my dongle yesterday plugged it in today flashed and nothing else. Tried it on 3 computers nothing, finally I opened it up, then I discovered why it didn't work there was no Bluetooth chip inside just a simple light chip that when current is applied creates a flash. I am so sick of this crap and the 2 tier system. 4 times so far this year I have received counterit products from China and no sanctions have been taken against the sellers who have a universe of 1 stars. Was Jeff so desperate for cash that he sold his soul to Beijing or was it simply greed that has turned the once mighty Amazon into nothing more than a 3rd rate £1 shop full of cheap knock offs that don't work. It's disgusting just how far Amazon has fallen in it's pursuit of profit. It's now a cheap knock off website that bends over and takes it up the backside from the Chinese sellers while alienating it's core customers and sellers with a 2 tier system. Not to mention staff in the Philippines who can't speak English so you end up spelling out your email address for 15 minutes. Stay well away from this seller and anything from China, and I for one am staying away from Amazon. I used to spend thousands of pounds here each year I have the cash I will spend it else ware from now on. Mark my words Amazon this will come back and bite you on your ass. You are not the only market place out there and you need to start taking better care of your customers and levelling the playing field for the sellers or they will do what I am doing, leaving you forever.
on 25 June 2010
This USB Bluetooth dongle appears and feels rather flimsy and it would probably be possible to break the black casing while removing it from a USB slot. However you will probably just want to insert it and forget about it, unless you have a shortage of USB slots.

It comes without an installation disc, but no software is needed as Windows XP and later automatically detect it and install the appropriate drivers.

Despite the flimsyness of the casing it works quite well. The packaging (a plastic blister pack) claims a transfer rate of 3Mb/s, which appears correct. I'm not sure of the range, but as long as you are in the same room as it you should be OK, but it's definitely not the 100m claimed on the packaging.

If you need to synchronise a cellphone, or use it with a keyboard or mouse, this will do pefectly. I would probably not want to use it with headphones, though, although I have not tested it with them. Basically you get what you pay for.

EDIT: blister pack not plastic bag, range.

EDIT 2: For synchronising cellphones, you will probably want to download the relevant software from your cellphone manufacturer's site. In my case I downloaded the Nokia Ovi Suite, you may need the Nokia PC Suite if you have an older Nokia Phone.
on 5 October 2009
Can't vouch for other linux distros, but this is perfectly compatible with the latest Ubuntu.
on 15 March 2010
For the price, this is great. Connected my phone to the computer with no hassle.

However, I will say don't bother using the software and drivers on the disk provided with the device, they're useless. Using the standard Microsoft drivers and Bluetooth software is the way to go, had it up and running in seconds. When using the provided software, the dongle didn't see a single bluetooth device, and I tried many.

This would be ideal to use as a back up, or to keep in your laptop bag. At home, I'd connect via cable, since it's quicker, but on the move this would prove to be invaluable, especially because of it's size.
on 22 February 2010
Micro Bluetooth USB Dongle EDR Version 2.0
Bought this to transfer photos from my mobile to my pc. Very easy to set up and pair with my mobile but when I try to transfer photos I get "service not supported by other device" on my mobile. At the price not worth sending it back.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...