1,087 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works!
I bought this to fit my laptop. Plugged it in, switched on, found and paired my headset and phone. It also works seamlessly with Kubuntu Linux, which makes a refreshing change.
What I like is its neatness. I can bag the laptop and there's no protrusion to catch and break, which is what happened to the last bluetooth adapter.
Published on 22 Mar. 2009 by J. Bramwells

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for basic bluetooth functionality
Published on 9 May 2010 by Cheesie Chimp

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works!, 22 Mar. 2009
J. Bramwells (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, works with no extra drivers, 30 Nov. 2008
S. Dutton (Diss, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I plugged this into a rear USB port of a Dell laptop running windows XP-Pro, and there it has stayed for months - it's so small that you barely notice it, although I do take care to pack the laptop in the bag with the dongle to the top. It uses the Microsoft drivers (much nicer than BlueSoleil) and is very easy to pair with, for example, mobile phones. I even bought a second one for my work PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, cheap, brilliant!, 14 Jun. 2009
Joel Hodder (Oxford) - See all my reviews
For £2.90 including postage this was an absolute bargain. I plugged it into my XP Acer Aspire One netbook and it was instantly noticed (same for my XP desktop downstairs). I was able to easily pair my mobile (Sony Ericsson) and transfer a few pictures from PC to phone and phone to PC. I was also able to instantly use my phone as a remote control! When I moved the arrows (D-Pad) on my phone, it move the cursor on my netbook, and the left and right clicks worked aswell! This is brilliant for presentations etc. I even played GTA: Vice City with the remote! However, the best bit was that I was instantly able to wirelessly tether my mobile to my netbook. I can now share my phone's internet connection with my netbook when I'm out of range of my wi-fi without having to install any awful, complicated Sony Ericsson drivers

Delivered in about 4 days from ordering, this is a brilliant piece of kit. The rounded semi-circular design is without a doubt the best because it makes it seem even smaller and reduces any risk of it getting caught and pulled out. However, on my Aspire One, it does still stick out my about 9mm, but the benefits far outweigh this 9mm!

It looks a bit tacky in the photograph, but when you receive it, it feels quite a lot nicer. It'll probably remain hidden inside a USB port on your PC anyway, so you won't even notice it's presence. I would highly recommend this over any other mini bluetooth dongle available on Amazon. It is cheaper, and it also supports A2DP bluetooth stereo headsets, so you can listen to music from your PC via bluetooth, whereas some of the more expensive dongles don't have this feature.

I would definitely recommend this dongle, and if you don't like it you can return it or throw it away for £2.90!

JoelHodder

4.0 out of 5 stars DOES work on windows 8, 1 Feb. 2015
Contrary to other reviews, this device will work with Windows 8, though I did have to re-install a driver. I use it to play music via my bluetooth speakers, though it occasionally gets interference from other signals e.g. my phone / wifi, causing the sound to become choppy.

Below is a simple guide of how to fix the driver. Disclaimer: This worked for me though I make no guarantees for you.

* Plug in the adapter, Windows automatically starts installing some drivers, wait for that to finish.
* Open 'Control Panel' >> 'Device manager'
* Expand 'Bluetooth'

Here should be "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" or something similar. If it's there, and the bluetooth icon has popped up in the tray then you are good to go. However in my case, Windows installed "Generic Bluetooth Radio" instead. So...

* Right click "Generic Bluetooth Radio"
* Select "Update driver software"
* Select "Browse for driver software on my computer"
* Select "Let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer"
* Now "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" should be on the list, select it and click 'Next'
* Correct driver will now install, may need to restart computer for changes to take effect.

You can now pair your PC with your bluetooth device. This is really beyond the scope of a product review but I'll include it anyway.

* Open up 'Control Panel' >> 'Devices and Printers'
* Right click 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' >> 'Bluetooth settings'
* Check "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" >> 'OK'
* Put your device (e.g. phone/speakers) into visible / pairing mode
* Now click the bluetooth icon in the tray
* 'Add a bluetooth device'
* ALTERNATIVELY: in METRO mode, Open 'PC Settings' >> 'PC and Devices' >> 'Bluetooth'
* Wait for the device to be found, then click 'Pair'.
* NOTE: this seems pretty temperamental. My speakers were found after about 30 seconds, though my phone took several attempts to find. If your device is not found, try moving it closer to the adapter then try again.
* If you are asked to enter a password, try 0000 as this is the default for most speakers.
* Finally, uncheck "Allow bluetooth devices to find this PC" in 'bluetooth settings' if you want.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for basic bluetooth functionality, 9 May 2010
For it's price, this is a neat little item to add to your computer. Here's my take on it. I would buy this for basic bluetooth functionality (pairing mobiles). For more advanced bluetooth features on Windows I'd go for the marginally pricier Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter * Class 2 which has excellent bundled software. Fedora 12 recognises and loads the drivers for this dongle automatically.

Mine has a CSR chip inside. It did not come with a driver disk (BlueSoleil). Wrote to the seller and received a good response. Was sent a link to download the driver from their website (v2.7.0.35 VOIP release). From what I read on the net, the Windows XP bluetooth drivers are pretty basic (would probably be ok for mobile phone data transfer). I wanted to use all the available bluetooth profiles and hence wanted the driver that the product was supposed to ship with. When I installed the Bluesoleil software it told me that it was working in an evaluation mode with 5MB limit. On writing to Bluesoleil support, they suggested that I upgrade to the paid version of the driver!

So I went ahead and bought a Belkin one for my Windoze laptop and use this one for my Fedora 12 box. I was able to use the Headset and A2DP profiles on the Linux box in addition to standard mobile phone pairing and file transfer.

<== This may be of interest to Linux users ==>

ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.14
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Vista, 11 Feb. 2009
Max - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was a bit apprehensive in buying this dongle as a few other reviews I had read had problems installing it on Windows Vista. Not so, when you plug the tiny dongle in it doesn't require the installation disk provided and installs all drivers automatically. It means no messy Blue Soliel software as well (which I really dislike) and best of all no silly expensive updates if your lose the installation disk.

The dongle is tiny and can be kept well out of the way, much better than the large unsightly USB sticks I had before. I've so far used it with my Nokia mobile which worked well and synced up very quickly. Couldn't be happier, especially for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and no drivers needed, 14 July 2009
The dongle is tiny, inexpensive and works well (Windows XP) without needing drivers. The one I purchased looked slightly different with rounded shape more like this: greymobiles 100 Metre Version 2.0 USB Bluetooth Dongle Adapter Compatible With Windows VISTA and A2DP (Wireless Stereo Music Transfer) Support - THE WORLDS SMALLEST BLUETOOTH DONGLE. After I published the review the shape changed!

I do not understand why BlueSoleil software seems to referred to as if it is required with this dongle. Because of the way BlueSoleil is pushed I installed the software which I found a pain to install and seemed to be outdated and/or an evaluation version. To get the proper/current version of BlueSoleil you need to pay a huge sum of money compared with the cost of the dongle and I presume the dongle seller gets commission. I decided not to bother with BlueSoleil and uninstalled it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bluetooth Dungle!, 2 Mar. 2013
Arch Stanton (Cornwall, England.) - See all my reviews
What an absolute piece of junk this is! Oh yes, I read the mixed reviews, thought I'd try it out, and lo and behold it doesn't work! I'm on Ubuntu 12.something or another, laptop is an Advent. Apologies for the uselessness in describing my own technology, sorry but I'm a bit of a luddite and have only had a laptop since January... Now before you go jumping to conclusions, although I am a self confessed ignoramus in most things techno, I am however, not a stupid person. So when I read the reviews, paid a pittance for this contraption and got it through the post (albeit in a very flimsy paper envelope!) I tried to unleash its connectivity powers immediately... Would it work?
Would it hell as like!
All it did was to keep causing my laptop to crash and regurgitate pages and pages of black screen error reports! The kind of black screen error reports that I have neither the know how or the patience to deal with!
Eventually after much perseverance and laptop rebooting, I managed to send a picture from my laptop to my phone! Hoorah, I thought, I've cracked it, but I was mistaken, as it refused to work the other way around (by this, I mean my phone still wouldn't send pictures to my laptop). Which made me think it might be the phone and not a dongle thingy issue, so I did what any self respecting technology coward would do... That's right, I called in the heavies!
So in came Matt, a man so heavy in comparison to me, that when it comes to computers, he's practically dark matter, and ensnared by the promise of a burger covered in blue cheese sauce and a viewing of Flash Gordon on blu~ray he agreed to help me out after work! What followed was much tapping and other stuff I didn't understand, but I made sure he was fed and watered and I even peered over his shoulder from time to time, in order to ask him inane questions in an attempt to feign interest!
Well, after much keyboard clicking and laptop jiggery pokery, Matt was as confused as me and upon admitting defeat he finally declared the dongle a useless piece of poo and gave me his spare dongle which he doesn't use.. Which I might add worked immediately, not that I cared by this point, with the process taking so long to set it up, I'd forgotten why I'd bought it in the first place!
Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, it costs very little and didn't work for me so certainly falls into the category of BUYER BEWARE, with the most regrettable part of this whole fiasco being that time is a precious commodity and I'm mostly aggrieved at the hours I lost trying to make this junk work!
As one reviewer said it's a tiny and compact little gadget..... Which fortunately means it will fit into the corner of my bin nicely!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 25 Jun. 2010
This USB Bluetooth dongle appears and feels rather flimsy and it would probably be possible to break the black casing while removing it from a USB slot. However you will probably just want to insert it and forget about it, unless you have a shortage of USB slots.

It comes without an installation disc, but no software is needed as Windows XP and later automatically detect it and install the appropriate drivers.

Despite the flimsyness of the casing it works quite well. The packaging (a plastic blister pack) claims a transfer rate of 3Mb/s, which appears correct. I'm not sure of the range, but as long as you are in the same room as it you should be OK, but it's definitely not the 100m claimed on the packaging.

If you need to synchronise a cellphone, or use it with a keyboard or mouse, this will do pefectly. I would probably not want to use it with headphones, though, although I have not tested it with them. Basically you get what you pay for.

EDIT: blister pack not plastic bag, range.

EDIT 2: For synchronising cellphones, you will probably want to download the relevant software from your cellphone manufacturer's site. In my case I downloaded the Nokia Ovi Suite, you may need the Nokia PC Suite if you have an older Nokia Phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on Ubuntu 9.04, 5 Oct. 2009
P. J. Mallon - See all my reviews
Can't vouch for other linux distros, but this is perfectly compatible with the latest Ubuntu.