5.0 out of 5 stars Patapon - The Drum beats on
Published on 14 July 2008 by Mark Chester

1.0 out of 5 stars Just about as dull as it gets...
Patapon involves hitting your PSP buttons in the same way, over and over and over and over again. Couple that with an archaic 2D, left to right view with pre-school graphics and you have one of the most tedious and monotonous games you could slot into your games console.
If you're not convinced why not try drumming your fingers on a table for a few hours? You'll get...
Published on 18 May 2008 by I. Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Patapon - The Drum beats on, 14 July 2008
Mark Chester "Blotto" (Inside the Matrix) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
We all know the Japanese to be a bunch of folks that enjoy strange TV programs such as Endurance, Takeshi's Castle (and probably nearly every other Japanese program :-)). We all know the French to be a bunch that like looking at odd Artworks. Well here is an example of what happens when the French and Japanese decide to make a game together. Extremely strange 2D art combine with extremely weird yet compelling and strangely addictive gameplay. Ignore the 1 star reviews try the demo and if you like the demo you'll love this game. However it appears that it might be a Marmite game, i.e. you're either going to love it or hate it. Most people however seem to love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little game., 15 April 2008
Mr. J. R. Banner "Jay" (Worcestershire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
This is my most favourite game for my Psp, at the moment.
Basically, you are an almighty god to a tribe of eyeball-like beings.
It's your task as their god, to make different beats with four different drums.
Each of the Psp's buttons acts as one of the four drums.

Different beats command your tribe to do different things.
Like: Advance, defend, retreat, attack etc..
You must guide the small clan through several levels, battling not only huge bosses.
But also another tribe called the Zigotons. (the baddies)

It doesn't sound like much of a game, but it REALLY is VERY addictive.
I found myself returning to the game every five minutes.
This really is worth getting.
The graphics, colours and animation is well done indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive fun!!!, 27 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
I recently bought this game, and I haven't put it down since! The game is controlled with 4 buttons, which you beat in different rhythms to control your army of pons. There's lots of fun to be had playing all the little side games, and the cute graphics add to the game's fun. The music is completely random and you just get lost in the beat!!! (Look out for the dancing tree ,UBO BON...) I've been playing this game for nearly 8 hours, and I'm nowhere near finishing, so this game offers plenty of playing time. At times, this game is quite challenging, and it takes a certain amount of skill to navigate some battles! However, this offers fun for all, and I would seriously recommend this game to anyone! Worth the money in my opinion, and one of the most enjoyable titles on the PSP!

4.0 out of 5 stars Patapownage, 12 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
In the summer of 2006, LocoRoco was released for the PSP - and with precious little in the way of fanfare. With the exciting launch of the first next-gen console to anticipate and a crowded release calendar which included new instalments of such venerable franchises as Half-Life, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell and Final Fantasy, it wasn't a surprise to see this excellent new IP fall under most gamers' radar. Today, however, it stands shoulder to shoulder with Katamari Damacy as among the most unique and innovative platformers to come to video games in decades. Its simple yet distinctive aesthetic proves uniquely appealing, while its gravity-oriented gameplay mechanics are a breath of fresh air next to more traditional fare. LocoRoco is a brief thrill, admittedly, but an unforgettable one nonetheless, and considering how much it has in common with Patapon, one can only hope that Japan studio's latest proves able to carve out a more appealing fate. And let it be said: this game demands your recognition.

Patapon won't be for everyone. Simple rhythm-game controls belie an experience that is equal parts God game and real-time strategy, but it straddles these genres with such conviction you'd be forgiven for thinking its creators have made such games before; assuredly, they have not, and Patapon is all the better for their invigorating new approach. You do not so much control the titular creatures - a tribe of eyeballs with legs, fallen on hard times - as inspire them. Each of the PSP's four face buttons is mapped to a particular sound, be it pon, pata, don or chaka, and by combining these voices according to the songs your army discovers throughout its journey, the player is able to drum out certain rhythms which the Patapon understand to mean such things as attack, retreat, charge and defend. There are no on-screen prompts beyond the initial tutorials: you will memorise these songs, or you will fall to the Zigaton, a warring tribe which controls the East of the island. The earliest stages of the game are thankfully rather easy going, giving the player enough time to grasp the importance of both your growing army's make-up and load-out and the competing rhythms of the Zigaton forces. It isn't long, however, before you realise that what might appear a cutesy cash-in on the increasingly mainstream rhythm-game franchises is instead a deceptively deep simulation, as rewarding as it is taxing.

None of which is to say that Patapon isn't worth your time. It's an incredibly satisfying title which hooks you in and refuses to let go until you've stamped out every last Zigaton and gazed, ultimately, upon the mythical 'it' which awaits your army at the end of their hardship. The clarity of the simple graphics are a perfect fit on the handheld platform, and a courageous challenge to all those developers bent on low-res realism. The music and audio effects are as madcap as can be - utter nonsense, and yet utterly infectious. The controls are intuitive and effective; and this is surely a fuller and better developed experience than LocoRoco offered. Sadly, however, some of Patapon's length is a cheat: believe it or not, there is grinding to be done here, and plenty of it. Kids and the otherwise attention-challenged aren't likely to have the patience to see it through, but should you - and you should, I urge you - there is a bittersweet lesson to be learned of the uncomplicated narrative that guides you, and an experience to be had that is unlike any other, in any genre of video games and in any medium of entertainment. Flawed, then, but absolutely inimitable, and unequivocally brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great original game, 29 Feb. 2008
P. H. Child "razeandblaze" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
This is the kind of game that gives you a real treat when you play it. It's cutesy and beautifully bizarre exterior hides an addictive system of upgrading and breeding your Patapon's. I highly recomment this game to anyone. It's great fun being the almighty drum god.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
I have been playing video games for over 15 years and this is without a doubt the most refreshing, new, exciting and barking mad game I have played in many, many years.

Read the publishers description and other reviews as I am lost for words that really describe this game accurately.

I have take my PSP with me on work travel and have found myself frantically drumming away on a plane, not noticing that everybody was staring at me - it's just so additive.

I find myself walking around the supermarket singing 'pon pon pata pon'

This is the 1st review I have written on this site. BUY THIS GAME...NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pon Pon Pata Pon, 9 Jan. 2009
I. Brooks (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
I never considered myself to be the type of person to like the press-a-button-to-the-beat type of guy, but about a year back when I first played Guitar Hero 3 on a friends consol, I changed my mind. So much so that I thought I might give it a shot without on a handheld without a an instrument to pretend I can play.

Once again I found myself drawn completely in.
This game is fun and innocent in the extreme. To the point where the little Patapons say things like "lets smack their bottoms" when they attack. Its a damn cute game.

I should add that when playing this, dont do it in a public place like a bus or train, you will look a fool as you bounce around while the Patapons chant the beat you drum up for them.
You wont be able to help it.

Its a fantastic little game that offers you something in the way of a war/strategy game as well as the God genre in games like Black and White where you build a community, bring back those who have died with Kerching (money) and go hunting to feed your people.

Everything about this game is fun.
Sheer enjoyment for enjoyments sake.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very addictive and fun game, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
When I'd completed God of war earlier this year I decided to look for another game that help entertain me when I'm out and so I picked this up. At first I never knew much about it, except that it's supposed to be good and wasn't really sure if I'd like it and I was very surprised when I started playing.
At first it will take you a few levels to get into it if your like me and have never played anything like this before but once you learn all the controls you'll be addicted as this game is great fun!. It has plenty of different patapon and drums meaning that you'll never get bored right up to the end which doesn't take too long to reach but isn't a short game either!. Really the only downside is how difficult it can be near the end and the difficulty is the reason why people new to patapon should buy this over 2 as it's even tougher and near impossible sometimes.

So in short I'd say it's worse than God of War but better than anything else the PSP has to offer!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Unique, 10 July 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
I was bought this game as a gift and thought 'what the..???'. The person who bought it did know of my love for 'different' games and also funny little charaters. Patapon delivered on both counts. You have to use your buttons in various sequences in order to get your little army to advance, attack, defend etc. It takes a bit of getting used to and you have to listen to the beat to keep the tune in time. However once you have got the hang of it its quite fun!. Some of the levels you have to attack monsters so you have to think about your strategy - do you pata pata pata pon charge up to the monster OR pon pon pata pon attack it from a far?. It can get tricky as you have to swop to different tunes - it takes concentration. Along the way you collect warrior type characters who are stronger than the rest of your army and some have special skills e.g. good at throwing spears. It may be a little hard for younger kids without some help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pata Pata Pata Pon..., 30 Oct. 2011
K. Farnes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Patapon (PSP) (Video Game)
...that's all I had running through my head the first few days of play. This is such a great game in my opinion. If someone doesn't like this game, I think they're missing the point or just not playing enough. It's not so easy as to be a boring game but it's not in-completable. You have to bolster up your army in order to beat larger monsters and defeat your enemies. It becomes very strategic, using the different drum beats to march, attack, defend and many other combinations that come up later in the game. I highly recommend this game.

Patapon (PSP)
Patapon (PSP) by Sony (Sony PSP)