5.0 out of 5 stars Not as scary as I thought.
Published on 9 July 2008 by Mrs. A. C. Penny

2.0 out of 5 stars Horribly out of date
Very nice first 7 chapters then it plunges into overdrive, which is made worse by the fact it is now out of date
Published on 5 Nov. 2011 by AgentMulderUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as scary as I thought., 9 July 2008
Mrs. A. C. Penny "april lady" (bordeaux) - See all my reviews
I've had a project on the back burner for some time that required me to get to grips with Cocoa: no ifs, no buts. My timing wasn't ideal as XCode had gone from version 2 to version 3 without the documentation being updated, so I've been gingerly playing with Cocoa for about 5 months, but not really getting very far owing to the hurdles presented by the many interface changes.

Starting this book was nothing less than a revelation. I'm up to p77 of 418 pages and am surprised how quickly I'm getting to grips with tricky objective-c syntax (although it's really not too bad once you stop being scared of square brackets) and working with Interface Builder. The trickiest subject is memory management, and I must say I was rocking backwards and forwards gibbering 'this is hard, I'm not stupid' and clutching tightly to my degree certificate as Aaron recommends, but even this rather murky subject is beginning to sink in.

His writing style is very fluent and his many years of experience teaching people this technology is evident from the content. I'd shy away from saying this is a book for beginners, but if you've got a smattering of programming experience (PHP and a spot of Ruby is my background) and want to write good programs for the Rolls Royces of home computing, then this book has got to be at the top of your shopping list (assuming you've already bought a Mac that is! ).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you've been looking for, 22 May 2009
C. Nelms (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a recent convert to Apple Macs, having spent a long career as a developer using Microsoft technologies (Visual Studio .NET). I spent too long exploring various blind alleys before being recommended this book.

The author has a pleasing, refreshing manner. He doesn't waste time on too much history or introduction. He assumes the reader is intelligent and already experienced in writing programs in C or a similar language. Through a series of exercises you get to grips with the Cocoa framework and the Objective-C language. Everything is explained clearly. The author gives you confidence.

If you are already a programmer but are new to the Mac this is definitely the book you should read first. You won't regret it.

My only slight caveat is that I bought this 3rd edition of the book in May 2009. I think I'm using the latest version of the Xcode development tools (ver 3.1.2) on my Mac. Yet some of the illustrations in the book vary slightly from the screens I see. However don't be put off by this. You can still do the exercises and it still makes sense. Buy it and learn how to program your Mac!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good intro to OS X/XCODE dev for experienced programmers, 8 July 2009
I bought this together with Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (Developer's Library). Kochan's book provides an excellent introduction to Objective C for novice programmers, covering the basics in a manner unlikely to confuse. Kochan's book wasn't ideal for me; with 10+ years as a professional C programmer it was far too simplistic, but it would provide an excellent introduction for a novice programmer. Hillegass's book was much better suited to me; I wanted a fast run through the essential points for Mac OS X development assuming a reasonable programming background but no specific knowledge of Objective C, XCode or OS X, and this provided exactly that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to start, 10 Mar. 2009
D. Buchanan (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
After learning C (using K&R) I wanted to learn Cocoa, but found the apple documentation a poor learning resource. This book was excellent; it didn't waste its time on C, diving straight into the concepts behind object oriented programming and Objective C, introducing the essential parts of the API. Without this I would have spent ages trying to figure out which methods and objects are most useful in the Cocoa framework.

The exercises are entertaining, though a few per chapter seemed rather sparse after the deluge of work I did learning C. Later chapters deal with some relatively advanced and new APIs, such as Core Animation and Core Data, meaning the third edition of the book leaves you with the feeling that you really can harness some OS X 10.5 power.

I finished quite sure about how to make simple GUI apps, a leap that is hard to make if you only have command line experience. It has allowed me to open up the Apple documentation and example code and start absorbing the information in it, rather than just being confused.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous grounding, 4 Mar. 2009
I've got the 3rd Edition, and it's excellent. Hillegass has a writing style which many would do well to copy, sparse yet informative with an easy manner. He gives just as much as you need to know, giving food for thought to inspire the reader to go off and build on the examples he gives, or write your own code from scratch. I have advanced far further than I thought I would in the time I've been reading it.
If you want to learn Mac application development from the ground up, this is the place to start. Hillegass and his Big Nerd Ranch is something of a legend in app development circles, with every good reason as this book proves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book to start with!, 27 Aug. 2008
RnA (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Awesome book, very approachable. For anyone coming to Mac programming for the first time, this is the book to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect starting point for learning Cocoa/Obj-C, 14 Jun. 2008
S. M. Metcalfe (UK) - See all my reviews
As someone who made the switch to Macs/OS X just over 18-months ago, my interest in how the OS worked led me to buying this book. It's probably the best computer book I've bought full-stop.

This is THE BOOK you need to buy for a first-class authoritative introduction to Cocoa, the programming environment for OS X.

4.0 out of 5 stars Language, 14 Oct. 2013
Mr. Charles Russell (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good book. I personally don't have the time to read it but for anyone needing to learn the language, I recommend a copy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horribly out of date, 5 Nov. 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars ... my level in the food chain - approach not useful to, 13 Oct. 2014
Beyond my level in the food chain - approach not useful to autodidact