5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Wait, 14 Mar 2008
A. D. Landau (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking for Flowers (Audio CD)
Well it has been three long years for us but those years felt even longer for Kathleen as she laments in album opener Buffalo - "I've run aground truth be told and when it comes to me I'll let you know". A very long tour in support of last album Back To Me and subsequent exhaustion and writers block made the writing and recording of this album a much greater trial than expected but well done to the label for letting the artist indulge her knackered muse as the result is near perfection. The choice of Jim Scott as producer is a good one with Kathleen pushing her vocal phrasing and range with the arrangements of songs helping to realise and emphasise their potential so that they tingle your spine and get your feet tapping in equal measure. Kathleen's lyrical musings are excellent as always and she knows how to turn a phrase that will make you smile and make you think. Overall, a worthy successor to both Failer and Back to Me and to have surpassed those albums means this is a fine, fine piece of work indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country, alt.country, rock, Americana? Who cares, it's superb!, 1 May 2008
Michael Davis (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (Audio CD)
After Failer and its follow-up Back to Me, Canada's finest has truly delivered with an exceptional and varied offering. Edwards has been likened to Lucinda Williams and Flowers compares favourably with the classic Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. With such an unusual voice, excellent backing musicians and an ability to write clever, accessible story songs, she hits the mark again and again on the album. Everyone will have their own favourites but the opener, Buffalo, showcases Edwards' unique voice backed by piano and strings. Oh Canada, a scathing attack on her own people as they bury their collective heads in the sand faced with the world's problems, rocks out with more than a cap doffed to Neil Young, whilst I Make the Dough is the most 'country' track but transcends the genre with clever lyrical work: 'You're the Great One, I'm Marty McSorley' (apparently a reference to ice hockey's journeyman-pro whose job was to protect legend Wayne Gretsky).

Give Asking for Flowers a try - then buy the previous two albums. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars EMOTIONAL TRAIN WRECKS NEVER SOUNDED BETTER, 10 Mar 2008
L. H. Bishop "MACMAN" (UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking for Flowers (Audio CD)
Kathleen Edwards inhabits that dark place deep inside where it hurts like hell to recall all the heartache and pain caused by the emotional train wrecks of long ago and far away, the ghost of tom petty pervades each track and insures kathleens 3rd is as vital and totally spellbinding as its predecessors, it would be difficult to imagine a better release in 2008, yes i believe it is that good. macman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kathleen Edwards - Touching the stratosphere, 5 Nov 2012
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (Audio CD)
It is both odd and wonderful how some artists float around your mental universe but never register; slipping away ignored nto the grey areas of your listening pleasure. Then suddenly a chord, a phrasing or a combination of pitch and rhythm wafts into your sensibility often from listening to another song and you recall a fleeting musical memory and potential lost opportunity. Sometimes this search is one borne of frustration, other times it is a Eureka moment. In the case of Kathleen Edwards it was listening to fellow Canadian Neil Young's heroic live version of "Cortez the Killer" on Arc Weld Disk Two that sent this reviewer scurrying to an hereto abandoned copy of "Asking for Flowers". More than most artists Neil Young knows the power of "slow"; no need for flashy pyrotechnics when instead you construct, perfect and craft a song to a mighty crescendo. Edwards also understands this and in the very last song of this album she unleashes "Goodnight California". It is a veritable stunner, certainly owing a debt to Young, but essentially all her own work. For six minutes plus it rolls out with a mix of such force that you are left breathless with nothing left to do but listen again and again. The combination of Edwards plaintive heartfelt vocals, rolling guitars to die for and piecing harmonica solos out of the top drawer are an irresistible force not least the verse laden with remorse "I'm not gonna lie./I'm not looking for love.../I won't let you in my heart/But you were always on my mind".

This song alone should see any self respecting music lover beat a path to Kathleen Edwards door but bless her she has more wares to share. The gentle "Sure as s**t" is the type of song that Lisa Hannigan has been searching for a lifetime. Its prime steak alt country of the highest order where Edwards vocals and delicate guitar picking combine to great affect. The title track is old fashioned country lament with a twist and would justify the "female Ryan Adams" tag if it was not so patronising. The tempo picks up on the joyous "I make the dough, you get the glory" written about fellow band member Jim Bryson where the contrasts are laid bare "You're cool and cred like Fogerty/ I'm Elvis Presley in the seventies/You're Chateauneuf, I'm Yellow Label/You're the buffet I'm just the table". Mention in dispatches should also go to the heartbreaking Alicia Ross which shows that Edwards is very bit the equal of contemporaries like Patty Griffin or Lucinda Williams. The funky ghostly "Run" shows that Edwards has a number of different chops while the "Cheapest Key" rocks out in considerable style. The anti war ethos of the blue collar rock of "Oil Mans War" that out "Springsteens" the Boss, while the wonderful tender acoustics of "Scared of night" highlights the fears of every child of misunderstood shadows and noises in a dark bedroom. It is as sweet in its own way as Paul Simon's "St Judy's Comet". A final mention should go to the rocking hard salvo of social injustice that she blasts out in the superb "Oh Canada" and it's punishingly hard hitting lyric "It's not the year of the gun/We don't say it out loud/There are no headlines/When a black girl dies/It's not the lack of a sense/It's called ambivalence". As for the opener "Buffalo" stop reading this and download it.

Disappointedly the follow up to 2008's "Asking for Flowers" was 2011's "Voyager", a decent record with a couple of great songs, but in every sense a work that cannot hold a candle to the brilliance on display in "AFF". But that's ok. How many artists go a lifetime without touching the stratosphere or even denting the clouds. Kathleen Edwards name deserves to be mentioned in hallowed musical places and in the words of her own national anthem its a pleasure to report that "with glowing hearts we see thee rise".

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff, 6 Nov 2011
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (MP3 Download)
Don't let the Alt Country tag put you off, this is fine fine stuff.

There are a couple of obvious radio friendly singles, The Cheapest Key, and I make the dough, you get the Glory, while the remainder is more singer songwriter territory. The more commercial stuff reminds me of Shania Twain when she went really global, so I cannot understand why Kathleen is not a huge huge star.

Kathleen has enlisted session musicians for this, so it sounds good, and professional, but musically it is not the edgiest stuff I have ever heard. The lyrics are superb, from witty to heartfelt, with a wonderfully wry and cynical take. However you can zone out from the lyrics and just settle back and enjoy the songs. Even the most worthy songs, like Alicia Ross, about a young Canadian woman murdered by a neighbour, remain listenable and enjoyable.

I would recommend that anyone reading this downloads The Cheapest Key, checks out the videos on Youtube for Cheapest Key and I make the Dough, and then buy the album. It is quality stuff.

I had just downloaded it, and was listening to it on my laptop, and my wife actually complained when I turned it off. Normally my wife hates my overly arty left field music choices, so if this can appeal to both of us, then it must have a pretty broad appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant album, 13 July 2010
R. J. Riley (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (MP3 Download)
got this album a while back after getting run on a free download on itunes, i must say after a few listens i was hooked and i have also bought her back to me album her lyrics and melodies go beautifully together my favourites off this album are run, goodnight california, asking for flowers and alicia ross would highly reccomend its a great contemporry folk album!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant album, 12 Dec 2009
Keith Green (Winchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking for Flowers (Audio CD)
Her first three albums have got better and better. At this rate, I can't wait for the 4th! There are so many wonderful, soulful tracks with original melodies and thought provoking lyrics. Alicia Ross is so sad it practically brings me to tears every time I hear it. Take a chance. Buy it. Put it on, turn up the volume, and prepare to be taken away.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sadly underrated artist, 14 Aug 2010
A. E. Hardman "Keir MH" (Crewe UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (Audio CD)
I have been a keen follower of Kathleen Edwards' career since coming across her first album "Failer" in 2002. This album was a little rough around the edges, but bursting with great tunes and rancourous lyrics. Her output over the years has been limited and her profile in Britain very low, so I eventually stopped looking for new albums from her, which explains why I have only just stumbled across this 2008 release.

Kathleen Edwards is usually, and lazily, tagged as "alt-country" whilst referencing Lucinda Williams, and although this is probably as close as any genre, it doesn't begin to describe her. The country and folk overtones are certainly evident and strong, but at its centre this is cultured, sensitive (sorry to use that word) rock music.

What characterises her music to me is the dark, brooding sadness which lies at the heart of so many of her songs, and whilst she doesn't seem quite as sad as in 2002, these songs really tug at your emotions without setting out to. I don't know if it the chords she uses, the simple understated lyrics, or just the tone of her voice but it gets me every time.

Whatever it is, this is a wonderful, sadly underrated artist who deserves so much more attention than she gets.
My sentimental attachment to "Failer" means it will always be my favourite but this richly varied, beautifully performed album may at last help her reach the wider audience she deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD. I think it's Kathleen Edwards's finest album, 15 Dec 2013
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Asking For Flowers (Audio CD)
I've listened to this brilliant CD a number of times now, and I think that out of all of her four albums she's made, I think that this one is probably my favourite CD. All of the songs on here are incredibly arranged and the production values are just about spot on. As far as this reviewer is concerned, it's close to being a perfect CD.

If I were to choose a favourite track on here, I would probably choose 'Alicia Ross'. Oh my word how powerful and emotional is this track to listen to. A young girl's letter to her mother about what her father has done to her. It's possibly the most powerful song that Kathleen Edwards has ever written I reckon. But asides from that, all of the tracks on here are of a very high quality. Brilliantly produced and such a breath of fresh air to listen to. I've lost count the amount of times I've listened to this. Possibly one of my favourite CDs I've listened to.

Simply on the basis of this CD, Kathleen Edwards is a joy and a tremendous singer. One of the most amazing singers I've heard. So I'm going to start off something. It's to bring Kathleen Edwards to a wider audience and let them share in what is probably one of the most undervalued and underrated singer-songwriters working today. What an incredible artist and songwriter. Bravo Miss Edwards. Terrific album.

Asking For Flowers
Asking For Flowers by Kathleen Edwards (Audio CD - 2008)