5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!, 17 Jan 2008
I took this book with me on a holiday abroad. It was a magical read - I had to stop myself from reading the whole book in one go. I wanted to savour it, day after day.

The supermodels, the drugs, the sex, the celebrities, the 70s and the 80s - it's all there.

Well-written, gripping and emotional.
Janice is an amazing woman.
Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously Fast Past, 9 Mar 2005
Ella (London, Europe) - See all my reviews
Janice Dickinson's autobiography is a candid look at the bitchy, high-octane world of high fashion. Starting with her blue-collar upbringing in Florida, growing up with an sexually abusive father & a damaged mother, Janice's life story is certainly worthy book-material. From her unhappy childhood to her tedious beginnings in the modelling world in Manhattan, her life was an uphill struggle. Soon catching the wave of change, breaking the mould with her dark-looks and boyish figure, Janice was never going to be your typical All-American girl next door. And her story is definately more exciting than anything the girl next door could tell you anyway.
Dickinson's story moves at lightening speed, from boyfriend to boyfriend, designer to designer. Sometimes it's hard to keep track, which I suppose is perfectly apt - as this writing style mimics the very speed and pace that her career and life travelled at at that time. From the glamourous foreign locations to the heady excess of Studio 54, Janice paints a fantasty world of almost ludicrous proportions. Except that it's not a fantasy world at all - it all happened, and Janice recalls each event with glorious detail and candour. Her honesty and confidence is very refreshing, making such a nice change from the usual sychophantic memiors that fill the shelves.
My only complaint is with the last section of the book, covering the 1990s. Janice is very vague and seems to completetly rush throught these years, with major marriages and realtionships over and done with in a matter of pages. But hey, who really cares about those years anyway? We all what to read about Janice in her prime, in the 70s and 80s, when cocaine and platform shoes were practically a legal requirement.
Some may find Dickinson too much to take (she is a tad irritating at times), but I can forgive her for it, because she makes up for it with her brutal honesty and humour.
A must read

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Janice, 20 May 2013
Read, reread and reread again this book. I love autobiographies because I am nosy and Janice's life is fascinating and gives a good insight into why she is the total nutcase she is now (even though I love her). Lots of great pictures too and great juicy celebrity stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full speed from page one!!, 21 Sep 2011
My wife's review:

I have just finished this book and loved it. From page one the story starts and doesn't let up until the final page. She is very open and honest about her wild hedonistic lifestyle, and to be honest she is lucky that she didn't kill herself with the amount of drink and drugs she consumed on a daily basis. She didn't have a very good start in life - with parents like her's the odds are definitely stacked against you - however one thing she did seem to have and that was a good sense of trying to do the right thing by her children.

For fans of Janice you will love this open, honest and frank account of her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Janice dickinson book, 23 Aug 2011
Very good book!
Janice was not scared to tell us all the sh.!!! she went through in her interting life.
She went to hell and back several times. The difference between Janice and Gia is that the first never had it easy from the begining. I will not spoil the book... Read it now!!!
icaro

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly honest..., 27 Jun 2011
3 failed marriages, two abortions, an abusive father, drug addiction and self loathing. Not in the slightest what I had expected from this book, she is appluadingly honest, witty and suprisingly human. If you want an education on who is who in the fashion industry, buy this book and google every name mentioned. Will definitely be buying another of Janice Dickinson's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest,Funny,Crazy Life of Janice!, 4 Aug 2010
I read this book yesterday !
Okay its hardly a masterpiece on epic proportions but it got me so engrossed straight away that I had to read it all in one day . I loved her on Americas Next Top Model....she made me laugh out loud , sat next to Tyra (got a rod up my ass) Banks and then in the Jungle and Come dine with me...although these shows are well after the time covered in the book.
It does cover serious issues with her abusive father 'the rat bastard' as she rightly calls him and her pill popping mother who was next to useless. I found myself really rooting for the young Janice to prove the rat bastard wrong and make something of herself. Which of course we know she does but my goodness theres a lot of things on the way that make a really good read , some that shock and some that make you feel so sorry that she had such a crappy start and the feeling that with two loving parents things would have turned out differently.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 25 Jan 2010
I could hardly put this book down, it was so good. And I loved the plain, non-pretentious language that Dickenson writes in. It is also a very fascinating, sometimes surprising, insight into the world of celebrity.

Wasn't that keen on all the sleeping around and name-dropping, and at times Dickenson comes across quite egotistical, but her honesty made up for all her shortfalls.

All in all, a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 22 Jun 2006
What a life this women has had. An excellent read, hard to put down, read it by the next day.

I always thought she was a bit batty but after reading this I understand her, and I like her. She rocks ...

5.0 out of 5 stars oh the eighties..., 1 Mar 2004
janice dickinson...a drunk and drug addict who screwed stallone and played long time drug buddy to the eighties greatest sacrificial lamb gia carangi. but that's not all.
janice is an articulate mother who realises mistakes she has made but openly admits the fun she had making them in this book.
revealing and funny, this is one womans account of her life less ordinary.

No Lifeguard on Duty (icon!t)
No Lifeguard on Duty (icon!t) by Janice Dickinson