5.0 out of 5 stars I had a deam
This DVD was sent to me as a surprise gift: when I saw what was inside the gift I was not really interested but eventually I decided to watch it
Published on 14 April 2008 by Joelle Meunier

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
I only will watch this once in a blue moon as it's quite a boring film...it's not very exciting,..but was ok
Published 10 months ago by Laura

5.0 out of 5 stars I had a deam, 14 April 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
What a surprise! This film is like a dream where all impossible things are possible: where an abandoned baby is not destroyed by it but grows into a bright genial balanced boy, where that boy learns the guitar in a few hours and organ on the spot, where he ends up at Julliard in the composition class, where he writes his own music and conducts the premiere of it ....and I will not tell the conclusion as it would spoil it.
I loved it all: script, acting and of course the marvellous sound track...
So, I bought and got it sent to several friends and family as a surprise gift
So far every single person has been amazed and all enchanted by it
It fells so good to believe, for a short time, that a child can hold his destiny in his own hands; It feels so good when there is no two music categories; the " serious one" and the"trash"
Oliver danced and sung his sad life, August Rush listen and creates music in the quest of his parents.
I was also amazed by so many negative revues by professional critics; don't' they dream sometimes? Eventually a recommendation by one friend is the most enticing incentive.
I had a dream and when I woke up it felt good.
Don't rent it, own it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Who needs realism?!, 1 May 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
The story is totally implausible, Robin Williams is completely miscast and painful to watch and yet this is still one of the most beautiful and uplifting movies I have seen in a long time.

I went online and ordered the soundtrack about 30 minutes into it. If you enjoyed the music check out Newton Faulkner's 'Hand Built by Robots' he has a similar innovative style on the guitar and a a subtle humour to his lyrics you'd probably appreciate too.

Keep an open mind and watch this movie, you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 26 May 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film! It was like no other I have ever seen before (in a good way!) For me, it is the brilliant music that makes this film truly inspiring.

Having read a few of the other reviews, I cannot understand the people who gave this film 1 star. Perhaps a couple of them should have actualy watched the film all the way through and given it a chance before writing an review!! Some feel that the story is too unrealistic, where is your imagination!? Its a modern day fairytale, it is supposed to be a little far-fetched! But dont let this put you off, let yourself go with this film and may well find it quite an uplifting experience!

Perfect for a night in with friends/family and a big big box of chocolates!

5.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of this movie is everywhere, you only have to appreciate it!!!, 8 Aug 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
Every once in a while a truly beautiful movie comes along that somehow blows you away to another world and gives you reason to hope in the impossible. That was my exact experience with this fantastic movie.

I was shocked to read that many critics gave this movie a good slating. I fail to understand how anyone can find fault with this movie. True to an extent the story is unrealistic and almost verging on the supernatural but why this should be a reason to fault a movie is beyond me. Look at movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. They're what you'd call complete fantasy and yet they are praised for the worlds they create.

The story may be simple but the simplicity of this movie is what makes it so appealing. The fact that this simple, innocent sotry of a young child hoping to communicate with his lost parents through his music despite the adversaries he faces is naturally endearing and bound to melt the coldest of hearts. Add to this a thought-provoking script and excellent acting and what more can you ask for? Freddie Highmore as young August Rush must be singled out for praise as despite not having much to say he manages to bring out the depth of his passion for music across so clearly. Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers are equally brilliant as the parents managing to build up a very convincing chemistry despite having very little scenes together, while it is interesting to see Robin Williams play a slightly bad character for a change.

If I had to be overly picky about this movie I'd say that the music wasn't as outstanding as I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong there are some very good pieces (praise must be given to Jonathan Rhys Meyers who performs his own songs)but I just felt the music wasn't as catchy as I hoped it would have been especially in a movie where music is to the fore. Perhaps this is more a personal preference than anything else.

To conclude I'd highly recommend this movie for anyone really especially families. Let your mind go with the story and you'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy this little gem. Indeed you might even become inspired to take up an instrument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need to watch all the way through, 30 July 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
I have never written a review before, but I couldn't help myself after watching this film.

True, it does start out slow, but the middle and the end completely make up for it. It is wholly entrancing and it's such a joy to be able to forget reality for a moment and just believe in the fairytale. (Completely corny I know, but it seems to work for this film.)

I thought maybe it would just be for girls, but about 10 minutes in to my second viewing, my 15 year old brother wandered in and surprised me with getting extremeley involved in the film. I don't think I've seen him watch anything other than action films for a good many years, yet he (like me) was on his feet at the end, cheering on the characters.

Do not judge this film until you have watched it all the way through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing!!!!!, 23 April 2008
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely loved the movie!!! The concept of musical connection between people might not be entirely realistic, but it is a great idea and well played.
I never write reviews, but I had to do it this time as I can see that some people did not understand the movie at all and gave it very poor rating. I'm not the one to argue about others' preferences, but I do think that this movie deserves a chance. Do watch it, especially if you are into musicals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it A chance.., 30 April 2008
M. A. Gourlay (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
I was kind of forced to watch this film on a flight from New York and was pleasantly surprised. I read a review on here that said the film was so bad he turned it off in the first 25 minutes. I felt exactly the same and the only reason I didn't was I had nothing better to do. The plot seemed so unrealistic and mushy it was almost unbearable, however the soundtrack was a plus and once Robin Williams joined the film and I accepted the film was a fairytale I enjoyed it more. An hour into the film I was totally hooked and wanted the boy to find his parents and the film to reach it's inevitable happy ending. It loses a star because it is quite slow to start with and at times quite patchy, the soundtrack and the scene when the father meets his son for the first time get the film 4 stars on it's own. The ending seems a bit rushed but I would recommend this if you like a good tear jerker, appreciate music and have visited New York.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful film, 16 Jan 2010
Mr. Philip J. Wathen "Philip Wathen" (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: August Rush (Full Ws Dub Sub Ac3 Dol) [Blu-ray] [2007] [US Import] [Region A] (Blu-ray)
I first saw this film in my local cinema and thought that it was wonderful. It's a musical but not in the usual way; this is a film about the mystery and magic of music. It is a modern fairy story; almost impossible things happen and incredible coincidences occur that are both very moving and uplifting. If some of the storyline seems familiar, it is really an updated version of Oliver Twist with Robin Williams as the 'Fagin' character running buskers rather than pickpockets in New York. Freddie Highmore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers are magnificent.

I bought this Blu-ray disc from America through Amazon. Printed on the case is the message 'Not authorized for sale outside the USA and Canada' but it is not marked with the Region A symbol. It played perfectly on my Sony BDP-S350 which I assume is Region B only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - even moreso on Blu Ray, 24 May 2008
Spencer Clarke (UK) - See all my reviews
Only bought this film because I was trying to find something different to watch on a new Blu Ray player, and didn't want to just buy films I already owned. So I found this. And it's an amazing film. The music is almost the real star; and on blu ray, with HD sound, it looks and sounds amazing. Yes, it's sentimental, but who cares. Get it on blu ray, turn up your HD sound, and just revel in it...

5.0 out of 5 stars symphonic fantasy, 5 Feb 2010
K. RankinRankin "Kenny Rankin" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: August Rush [DVD] (DVD)
I found August Rush quite difficult to get into in the early part of the film. It has been described as a modern day fairytale but I found it more of a symphony with stunning cinematograhy. And, like many symphonies initially it demands your concentration but will gradually draw you into the sights and sounds and emotions and ultimately leave your soul singing. The music is the backbone to the film and often communicates the emotions directly with little need for dialogue. If you love the mystery that is music then you will love this film.

Add this to your "must see" list ...and tell a friend.

August Rush (Full Ws Dub Sub Ac3 Dol) [Blu-ray] [2007] [US Import] [Region A]