5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entry-level DSLR
I wished to buy a DSLR in February for under 500. In addition to the D60 the options available were the Nikon D40/D40X, the Pentax K10, the Sony A200, the Olympus 510 and the Canon EOS 400. The Canon EOS 450 is often touted as the main rival to the Nikon D60 but its RRP is 150 higher than the D60 and therefore a rival to Nikon's mid-range D80 rather than the D60. I had...
Published on 6 Mar 2008 by Derek Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Canon
I jumped ship from the Canon 400D to this thinking I was moving over to the better side. How wrong I was. Personally, just to highlight the differences, the things I miss from the canon are these:

1) More spot matrix focusing points, the canon has 9 the Nikon has 3. This makes it murder trying to get decent macro photos if your point of focus is anywhere...
Published on 15 Jun 2009 by Poison Pen

3.0 out of 5 stars One step back from the D40, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) (Electronics)
Bottom-line
* One full EV behind the D40

---------------------------
I have had this for a couple of weeks now. I got one barely used (about 200 actuations checked by myself using an exif reader).

My conclusion is that I very much prefer the D40.

In my opinion, if you have to choose between the D60 and the D40 you should go with the D40 -hands down.

The D60 is one full stop behind the D40 as far as image quality (IQ) goes. By image quality I mean: (1) noise, (2) dynamic range, (3) colours.
IQ D40 at ISO 200 = IQ D60 at ISO 100
IQ D40 at ISO 400 = IQ D60 at ISO 200
IQ D40 at ISO 800 = IQ D60 at ISO 400
IQ D40 at ISO 1600 = IQ D60 at ISO 800
IQ D40 at ISO 3200 = IQ D60 at ISO 1600 (avoid this if possible / only for "emergencies")

So the price for 4 extra megapixels (a theoretical 22% increase in resolution at ISO 100) you lose one full stop of IQ.

I still cannot find any meaningful increase in resolution comparing shots side-by-side (D60 vs D40) but the loss of image quality (noise, dynamic range, colours) is clearly visible.

Reasons to get the D60
---------------------------
Although IQ is clearly behind the D40 there are a few reasons to choose the D60, provided you always have good light to take the shots. These reasons are:

- Better screen: much, much better than the D40's
- Dedicated active d-lighting button
- Sensor cleaning system

Reasons to ditch the D60
(and get the D40)
---------------------------
- One full stop of better image quality (less noise, more dynamic range, better colours)
- 1/500 flash sync speed: by any (any) measure simply amazing. 1/500 is incredible.

Conclussion
---------------------------
If you shoot always under good light an value the better monitor, the dedicated active d-lighting button, and the sensor cleaning system then get the D60

If you value image quality (dynamic range, colours, low noise) then get the D40

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D60 SLR, 4 Aug 2009
DS (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After a great deal of reviewing other entry level DSLRs, we opted for the D60. Excellent value for money; straightforward to use, loads of room for growth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DSLR, definately worth the upgrade from point & shoots!, 13 Feb 2009
Mr. E. Davies - See all my reviews
I began my search for a DSLR quite a while ago now, I'd done hours of research on the internet, looked at dozens of reviews and trawled through way too many forums looking for opinions. In the end I realised it was getting me nowhere, one place would say Nikon, one would say Sony and another Canon, the more I looked the harder the decision became.
In the end I took the plunge and bought the D60 kit with VR lens, and I do not regret this decision at all. I'm a total beginner with DSLRs, I'd barely touched one until recently, and the first thing I will say is how shocked I was by how easy this camera is to use. There may be dozens of options available, but I get stunning shot after stunning shot using the Auto mode. I'm looking forward to developing my skills and experimenting with the many options.
If you're thinking of upgrading to a DSLR from a point & shoot digital camera you can't go wrong with this camera, I love it. It really does put my old P&S cameras to shame, and it has made me want to go round taking pictures of everything in sight!

5.0 out of 5 stars nikon D60 SLR, 11 Aug 2009
hill lover (yorkshire england) - See all my reviews
really pleased with it.

Lots it can do I am just learning- looks the picture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 12 May 2008
Looked for ages to see which SLR was the best for me and my price range. This one won and is excellent. Only had it a couple of weeks - loads to learn about it as it is my first SLR but so far I have not been disappointed.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Look at Amazon First!, 27 Dec 2008
Can you buy this excellent camera at most reputable photography outlets? Probably yes. But can you buy this body with this lens at this price with free delivery and 30 cashback from Nikon anywhere else? Probably not. Amazon tracking let me know to the very second when my package arrived at and left the local distribution centre. Well done Amazon!

Slight niggle - it didn't register with this buyer that memory card was not included in package - so there was a delay in being able to use camera. Bit like the old "batteries not included scenario" with kids' toys in times past (there is a lithium battery included with camera!)

NB 30 cashback was a limited period Christmas offer

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D60 SLR, 16 Feb 2009
Mrs. Sj Maddox (Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent camera. great for a beginner but lots of scope as you improve. Easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars nikon d60, 19 July 2009
so far this camera appears to be a good buy, the image quality is good, I feel it is too early to write a full review as I am still getting to know the camera. lightweight body good fit into hand easy access to menu.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CAMERA, 26 May 2008
J. Ringland "jr-photography" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera over a week ago and so far so good, there so much things on it and the images are great, looking forward to using it more now with the gud weather ahead.

thanks amazon