5.0 out of 5 stars Almost exactly what it says on the box
The 450D is almost exactly everything I was expecting. Moving up from the 300D that had served me well I knew my way around most of the knobs and buttons and was pleasantly surprised by the improvements as well as the increased spec.

Published on 29 Jan 2009 by A Doonhamer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but sent two back
I've been using the 400d for two years & thought it was time for a upgrade but I was very disappointed.
Published on 11 Dec 2008 by Mr. Mac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost exactly what it says on the box, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

My one and only disappointment is the so called 'Live View' feature which has not lived up to expectations in that it most certainly is NOT the same as digital compacts with their live active viewfinder screen. It has some serious limitations if you use 'Live View': you completely lose autofocus for 'point and shoot' amongst other things and it is a rather clunky image. So you have to invent a 'work around' in order to make some sensible use of that feature. I now rarely use Live View at all. For me it is a limited gimmick. But that's just my "view".

Overall it is is still a brilliant piece of kit that has revitalised my interest in digital SLR photography when compacts also have been getting so good and competitive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but had debris on the sensor, 12 Feb 2009
This was bought an upgrade for my 400D mainly due to the updated sensor and Liveview. While I checked out the camera I was impressed with the improvments, especially the rear screen. Liveview is also excellent, although mainly for use for macro or tripod based shots ( it isnt designed to be used as per a point and shoot camera ).

I had no focus problems at all and focus was quick and accurate.

Unfortunately the sensor had rather too dust spots or debris to be acceptable in a brand new camera, in fact it was worse than my 2 year old 400D. So I had to return it to Amazon for a refund. Amazon were as always excellent to deal with and I have been refunded.

I will be buying another 450D tho, it has not put me off what is a technically excellent camera and I would definitely recommend one!

Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 450D - Excellent buy, 3 Dec 2008
I have just received my new 450D (Body Only) from Amazon and must say what a fantastic purchasing experience. I have spent a couple of weeks reading reviews and other customer comments and after much thought took the plunge and I have to say I am not dissapointed !!!. First of all the price is the best you will find it online -I only went for the Body only as I already have a couple of lenses from my previous Canon 300D. The camera was ordered on Friday morning and I had it in my hand by 12.00 on the Saturday !!!. The camera itself is fantastic with it feeling smaller than my previous 300D but certainly punching alot more. The 3" LCD is a welcome addition with the increased size making things alot easier to view and with liveview gives a whole new dimensionto taking photo's with a digital SLR. Initial results have been great with crisp photo's but early days yet. Certainly worth investing in quality, fast lenses as the std lens Canon supply is not great. On the whole great camera, fantastic quality with excellent results. Cannot fault the service from Amazon !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture Perfect, 29 Jan 2009
Purchased the Canon 450D from Amazon, thrilled to bits with the camera and very pleased with the service from Amazon. The camera ( body only ) does what it says on the label and it works a treat with the Canon lenses I already possess. If you want an excellent camera buy this one, brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with EOS 40D, 26 Feb 2009
I had a EOS 300D and wanted to upgrade. Initially I bought a Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR Camera - Body Only, although not from Amazon. Its advantages are the much faster burst rate (6 fps) and more versatile controls on the rear of the camera, which make it easier to select AF points. It also feels substantial and beautifully made. The downside of the 40D is that it's a lot bigger and heavier than this camera--which although it's made of plastic still feels very well constructed. Since my 40D was faulty I returned it and ordered this instead. It gives me everything I want. Spot metering is a really useful option (which wasn't there on the 400D, but is there on the 40D) and (upgrading from the 300D) the AI servo focus mode for moving subjects makes a huge difference. Live view works really well. It takes a bit of digging to enable it in the menus, but once you've done this if you want it at any time you only have to press 'select' to activate it, and then the * button to focus. I find the 450D almost impossible to distinguish in image quality from the 40D, but both are much more crisp and contrasty than the 300D, and I really feel happy about upgrading. If I was really trying to fault this camera I'd say it's just a fraction _too_ light when attached to an L series lens (though it isn't in any way flimsy, and with EF-S lenses it balances much better), and it's a pain that my old batteries and CF cards don't work with it; but those are the only respects in which I hanker after the 40D. Unless you really need the machine gun speed of the 40D's burst mode for serious sport or wildlife photography I would recommend this camera instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 July 2009
Katrine Evans - See all my reviews
I love it! I previously owned the 350D and loved that model. However, I found it a little difficult to find my way around the various functions and settings. The result was that I mainly used the camera on automatic settings - which still achieved great photos. The 450D is so much easier to use. There is easy access to all functions, and I have found myself experimenting much more with different settings. I couldn't be happier :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but sent two back, 11 Dec 2008
Mr. Mac "Maca" (HAMPSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The first was sent back because it showed a blue Hot Pixel on the image & the second suffered the reported focus problem which many have posted about on various forums. It focused OK about 60% of the time using the Canon kit lens but badly missed focused when using a Sigma 70-300mm APO which works fine with my 400d & looking at the exact same shots using a tripod I compared my 400d against the 450d & my copy was not focusing as well as the 400 & it over exposed in many shots when the 400d didn't.

Not happy with it so sent it back for a refund which is a shame because the 400d is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin. Very well., 9 Jun 2009
Having played with this camera for over 3 weeks and taken 600+ shots in a recent holiday with a number of different settings / conditions etc... I am very pleased with the purchase. My view (non professional) is that this is a really solid performer with no 'frills' (i.e. it's a camera, who cares about video...) and does what it is supposed to very well. I carried it around for days and it's light enough - the battery lasted for days - the quality of the pictures is good - the usability is good with really intuitive layout of buttons and functions. Personally - having pretty big hands - a larger body/grip would have been nicer so I might invest in the additional battery pack. If you really need more specs from a camera, then the next step up is a full frame machine if you are after processor quality, or one with a higher shooting rate if you are into sports photography. Else, I think this is a solid performer but do invest in a few decent lenses, which will make a world of difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get one while they're still around, 10 Dec 2010
As a user of a 350D for over four years (very heavy use I might add), I was looking, alongside a couple of lenses, at a new camera. Many peopl (rightly) point out that the cheaper Canon SLRs do not have the build quality of the higher end models. This is true, and of course certain features are omitted too. However, my 350D has coped admirably with long term use, and still produces superb shots. To be honest, I am quite happy with the 8MP output of the 350D - it lets me print A4 (the largest my printer can print) in superb quality. So, while the newwer models (including the 7D) were on my list to look at, the one thing that put me off was the whopping size of the images - 15-18 MP. Being perfectly honest, for the average user I feel that without spending huge sums on A3+ printers, or in getting large prints from the 'net or high street, these figures are simply way OTT. At 12MP, I'd go so far as to say the 450D is outputting images that are too large for me to truly benefit from. (The one upside is, that, providing you have a decent enough lens on you can crop quite substantially and still have a decent image to display or print at A4).

But this is the double edged sword - megapixels aren't the same as 'quality' - and this camera realy does need better lenses that the 350D - newer models with a higher output are even more demanding.

As to build quality, well, it's equal or better than the 350D, sits slightly better in the hand, and I've no reason to believe it will be any less robust than the 350D I own, which has been out over thousands of miles in all weathers, and supplied over 18,000 images.

Unless you need video, then consider this camera and a nice lens rather than spending hundreds more on a newer model.

Think of it this way: if you look at your images on screen, what size are they? On a 22 inch monitor at 1680 by 1050, you are seeing 1.7 megapixels. That's a LARGE image, but you've zapped 10 megapixels just to fit it on the screen. So unless you buy a colossal monitor with 15+MP (you can't) - why pay for pixels you can't use?

Also - of more important note - the 350D has almost legendary high ISO capability. Noise is usually a percentage of the total pixels in the image in my experience. With the 350D being 8MP, it's never really too bad. The same is true of the 450D - but noise (especially in colour) can be more visible when you really chance it with high ISO in dodgy light. It's no worse than the 350D - it's just that with more pixels on the sensor, there are more with noise. The result, obviously will be even more noise the higher the sensor resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Nov 2010
UK Filmbuff "filmbuff1382" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I had researched this excellent camera, before deciding to source and buy one. All of the write-ups were excellent and now that I have had a chance to see one for real, I am not disappointed. The camera is sturdy, but light and looks very good. I do like the large LCD screen on the rear, which is clear and helpful. The functions are numerous and seem well presented; it isn't necessary to be a genius to work out the basics, which means one can start taking pictures almost immediately. The rechargable battery seems to give good performance and a very long time between charges. The charger is provided. I was even quite impressed by the user manual, which I found comprehensive and quite easy to use.

As an amateur, looking to enhance my photographic experience, I was also keen to be able to use my existing Canon lenses, which has saved a lot of expense. I am pleased to say that the EF and EF-S lenses work on this body and give excellent results. From an aesthetic perspective, something that impresses me about this Canon camera is that the colour balance is very realistic; one tends to see what exists, rather than what doesn't. With other cameras I have seen, the colour balance appears to be far too rich, giving it a somewhat surreal look.

I would certainly advise reading some of the professional reviews of this camera, prior to purchasing, because they will give a much better idea of technical specifications and more professional qualities, which I am unable to do. However, my unqualified opinion is that this is an absolutely amazing piece of equipment and I am very much looking forward to improving my photographic expertise.

I consider myself very fortunate to have bought an absolutely superb nearly new example (which, quite frankly, seems to be every bit as good as new), at a very competitive price and, as a result, I am absolutely stunned!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›