5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best SLRs at the moment
I have just upgraded from a four year old 300D, the difference in quality is astounding, I always enjoyed taking really odd lit pictures and messing about with the camera settings trying to create odd effects, the 450D takes this to another level, and backed up with double the number of pixels captured. I took it out and started capturing some basic landscapes in bright...
Published on 9 July 2008 by Mr. George Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Carefully Check the Specs Before Purchase
Published on 7 Sep 2008 by Mr. C. C. Barrett

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic camera, 26 Aug 2008
A. van de Vyver (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered through Amazon as they had the best price at the time, took a little longer than expected to arrive, over 2 weeks.

I had upgraded from a Sony Cybershot 7.2MP. Well you cant even compare the two. From only ever owning a point and shoot camera I now do not believe I could ever use anything but a dslr again.

The camera came with the 18-55mm canon lens, and the normal included accessories. This did not include a pouch, so I ordered the canon semi hard case EH19 L from 7dayshop for £27.99. Expensive but quality product. The only problem you might find is that the case fits the camera only with the 18-55mm lens, and so when I am using the 55-250mm lens I need to change the lens before I pack it away. Minor issue for me.

Ordered the Kingston Technology 4GB Secure Digital High Capacity Class4 Card - gets over 600 photos on a good quality setting (not RAW).

Having read all the other feedback I also ordered the 55-250mm canon lens through Amazon. Not being a pro photographer I can only give a layman's view - the 18-55 is great for normal shots, but useless for zooming. The 55-250mm is a telephoto lens, and the photos are magnificent. I tested it on numerous occasions eg day at Lords watching cricket, and the 55-250mm adds a whole new dimension to what you can take pictures of. Taking pics one after the other, and switching between the two lens', highlights how you cant really do with one or the other, you need both. I read some comments about buying the camera body only, and then not getting the 18-55mm and ordering other types, but my maths told me that the incremental cost to get the offered package meant I was only really paying in about £45 more to get the lens than just the body. You cant get any lens for that price. If you want a specific lens for your individual circumstance and you have more money to spend - go for it. If you arent really sure and were only going to do it because others recommended it, think again.

The extra lens doesnt come with a pouch either - I ordered a lowepro 1N through 7dayshop for £10. Fits perfectly, I had read that I should get the 1W - no good - its too big. I know lots of people order special backpacks for their cameras - this didnt suit me - I want to be able to pack my camera away, not carry a whole bag just for the camera.

Back to the camera - I am learning all types of new things. There are different pre-set modes that cover most scenarios, but as you read through the extensive manual you slowly learn more advanced techniques and begin to use the manual mode where you make your own decisions for the different settings. I have a long way to go, but anyone can see what a huge difference the camera has made to the quality of photos I am now taking. I honestly am not able to provide any info on flaws or problems because I havent come across any.

This camera is great quality, there are good accessories available, the photo's are stunning, and with the determination to learn how to use all the features you will increase your photography knowledge by a huge amount. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level DSLR, 22 May 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit) (Electronics)
I bought my Canon EOS 450D in January, ahead of a trip to photograph wildlife in India. It was my first venture into the world of DSLR (or indeed SLR) photography, and it is a whole different ball game to my previous experience of point-and-shoot cameras. With 12 megapixels, RAW shooting capability, adjustable shooting mode (one-shot or tracking - for subjects that move!), nine focus points, adjustable white balance and a host of other features, the flexibility that an entry level DSLR such as the 450D gives you over compacts opens up all sorts of possibilities - and now thanks to falling prices is within reach of your average keen amateur such as me.

The kit lens (18-55mm wide-angle zoom) the 450D came with is OK, but the real benefit comes with it's compatibility with high-quality Canon L series lenses - where you really get to see a difference in image quality. I borrowed a 100-400mm EF 5.6 telephoto zoom lens with IS (image stabilisation), and bought a 70-200mm EF IS 4.0 zoom, and the results can (occasionally) be stunning. Because the sensor on the 450D is smaller than on the top-of-the range Canons, the added bonus for shooting at distance using telephoto lenses is that you get an additional 1.6x magnification, although this would be a drawback for shooting wide-angle.

There are a variety of useful shooting modes available - fully automatic (where the camera pretty much decides what aperture and shutter speed is suitable), aperture priority (where you set the aperture and the camera chooses the appropriate shutter speed), shutter speed priority (vice versa) and fully manual. Initially I found myself mainly shooting in aperture priority mode. The drawback I found with this is that unless the light was perfect, the shutter speed was often quite slow - and when shooting moving subjects with a heavy hand-held zoom lens, camera shake can often be a problem even with the IS in operation (I now always shoot in manual mode and often compromise with the slightly underexposed images that a faster shutter speed will give you in the knowledge that I can improve image quality on the computer).

The 450D enables you to adjust the ISO rating from 100 up to 1600, for shooting in varying light conditions. However, in practice I found that anything over 400 can lead to significant noise (graininess) appearing in your images - and in fact this can be a problem even at 400.

The auto-focus in one-shot mode is very responsive and accurate, however I've found that it can be sluggish in tracking mode, often failing to focus at all on a bird in flight when tracking it for even five or six seconds. This can be very frustrating and has led to a few missed opportunities. I don't know whether this is a general fault with the 450D, or one specific to my camera, but it is annoying!

All Canon DSLRs come with Canon's own EOS proprietary software, enabling you to adjust the colour saturation, brightness and contrast of your shots. If you shoot RAW images, you can also adjust the exposure, shot mode (portrait, landscape, monochrome etc.) and colour balance. Never having used Photoshop I've found Canon's software to be brilliant, and haven't taken a shot which it couldn't improve.

A few gripes aside I have been very happy with the 450D. You get an awful lot of functionality for relatively few pounds, and if you can afford an L series lens or two, you'll be capable of shooting fantastic images.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice piece of kit; Canon's digital SLR is well worth the extra outlay, 23 Jun 2008
Chris Of The OT (South West of England) - See all my reviews
The Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR is a powerful, effective and nicely designed camera. My wife, Anna's, specific interest is macro photography (precise close-ups) of things like butterflies and flowers, so macro features and functionality will be the focus of this review.

Our previous purchases in the digital photography field have been Fuji: a FinePix S602 (my favourite), then the much more powerful FinePix S9500. This Canon EOS is our first digital SLR.

The first, massive, improvement (and, I believe, over the 400D too) is the screen: it's much larger, brighter and clearer. However, I prefer to frame my shots using the screen (`Live View') but then you can't have the camera in `Full Auto' mode: Not a devastating restriction, but still significant.

For pukka macro photography there will always be the need to get at least one specific macro lens. We went for a cheap (£65) Tamron AF 55-200mm Macro Zoom which offers a workable compromise: but this lens still requires the purchase of a quality close-up lens (another £45-£50) because filling a frame with a bumble bee, for instance, needs the extra help & power of a close-up lens.

This is even more true of the supplied 18-55mm lens. The gent in our local photography shop described the standard lens supplied by Canon as `very basic' - but it is still a really good lens. Macro shooting is obviously much more restricted because, to fill the whole frame with a butterfly, for instance, you have to get, literally, right on top of it and the lens is unable to focus when you get that close to a subject. Therefore, a good close-up lens is essential. (The Canon 500D Close-up Lens we bought for the Fuji S9500 works perfectly as it's also a 58mm thread. Unfortunately, the Tamron Macro Zoom uses a 52mm thread. Such is life!) But some basic macro work is still possible with the standard Canon lens (if you're clever and very patient), but a close-up lens is a necessity... And the basic 18-55mm lens even includes very effective integral image stabilisation.

Anna says that `the big bonus is the clarity & sharpness of the images if you're comparing a standard digital with a digital SLR'.

In the end, the extra investment is more than justified in the move to digital SLR. Photography becomes more intuitive (something like it used to be on old 35mm SLRs) but still benefits from the digital age. A friend who has owned a Canon 35mm SLR for more than a decade said that the buttons and dials are much the same, so those who liked the old Canon SLR system may feel at home right away. For us, the Canon 450D represents a significant improvement over our previous digitals (and Fuji's over-complex menu systems) but note that `significant' improvement also comes at a `significant' cost: a half-grand camera may well require another half-grand on lenses - or more. However, if you have the cash, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade from 400D, 7 Dec 2009
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was previously using an EOS 400D and prior to that, a 300D which died suddenly.

There are a number of features which I would recommend over the 1000D which is the equivalent to the 400D and is the entry level model.

Briefly, this feels like a much better camera. The screen is bigger and brighter. The main improvements are the addition of spot metering which wierdly the 400D does not have. This allows light metering to be taken from a central spot in the middle of the view finder. Very useful and, in my opinion, an oversite in the 400D.

The live mode for many would be useful. the 450D now behaves more like a digital camera and less like an SLR as the image can be 'previewed' on screen before the picture is taken. I am now used to using the viewfinder to constuct my picture but this is a welcome addition.

This camera does NOT come with an image stabilisation lens which comes at a price and is well worth it from what I can see.

The photos are brighter than the 400D. This camera gives a more reassuring click than the 400D.

More technical features like rear curtain etc. which were harder to access on the 400D are now made easier. This camera feels no more weighty but I think packs a better punch.

Really recommended as more than an entry level dSLR

5.0 out of 5 stars New to DSLR's? This is for you., 28 Sep 2008
I've had the 450D for a little while now, a great buy...easy to use, and once you get the hang of it you'll know where everything is. Granted you'll need to suss out the best ways of taking shots, and getting exposure right, but that will all come in time. The kit lens it comes with is pretty good - a good starter lens to go with this is the 50mm f1.8 MKII prime lens, cheap, and sharp...and pick your self up a couple of Sandisk SDHC 4GB Extreme III cards for your pics. Build wise, the camera feels solid, light and everything is where you need it, the screen is a decent size too.

Worth the money, I'd class the 450D as hybrid beginner/midrange camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless; the best camera I have owned, 30 July 2009
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an absolutely wonderful camera and my first digital SLR. I have previously owned a Canon EOS (35mm) and was using a Canon IXUS 500 until it started malfunctioning recently. I think this is an excellent, and very reasonably priced, starter digital SLR. I have seldom been so delighted with any purchase.

Firstly it is ridiculously easy to get started, taking wonderful photos on basic (automatic) settings. Photographing 2 energetic children makes the continuous shooting option a great way of getting some good shots when (as always) they are too active to keep still for any length of time.

The kit does not come with a memory card, but the 4GB one I am using is plenty for starters, though I'm planning to buy a larger capacity one before going on holiday. The photos taken in jpeg form on basic settings actually use much less memory than I'd anticipated (4-5 mb).

I miss the movie feature common to practically all compact digital cameras these days, and the increased bulk of an SLR means I often choose not to take the camera on brief outings (park etc). I will need to get a pocket/ handbag sized little compact too, I think.

The lens included in the kit is a very good quality piece of equipment, and ideal to start off with. I will want to add one with a longer zoom eventually, but this has a great range and manages 'normal' photography and macros really well.

Obviously no bag is included, but there are lots of good ones out there; I'm using one I had for the old 35mm SLR. Incidentally the lenses from my old 35mm Canon also work perfectly well with this one.

The software included is easy to use, and uploads pics to the PC at incredible speed. I haven't yet managed to get it to automatically rotate the portrait shots, but I'm working on it...

Overall I'm a very happy customer. I rate Canon cameras highly, and once again they have not disappointed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first venture into serious photography., 20 Feb 2010
C. J. Fraser - See all my reviews
This was my first 'serious' camera, after years of playing about with PnS and bridge cameras, I wanted something that would give me greater flexibility (lenses) and greater control over what I was going to photograph (settings).

I managed to bag a second hand 450D with IS kit lens for almost exactly 400 pounds. The screen on the 450D is lovely, half an inch bigger than the 1000D. The controls are nice to use, and I've had no real problems so far. The body is unfortunately made of plastic, whereas the 40D is magnesium alloy. But, at this price it's about right.

One major negative point I have noticed about the 450D is quick-AF is less than perfect, even just using the centre point. Firing the flash often helps to make it more accurate, but quite often it slightly back/front focusses, producing ever so slightly 'soft' shots. you can get around this by using contrast-detect AF in live view, which is very accurate, or simply manual focussing.

If you are looking for a first SLR consider this one. It's like the 1000D but offers slightly more advantages, including sensitivity in the centre AF point up to f/2.8, a bigger screen and faster shooting in RAW. The megapixel difference is negligible, and for a sensor this size you really don't want to go higher than 12 MP anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Carefully Check the Specs Before Purchase, 7 Sep 2008
Mr. C. C. Barrett "worldismyoyster" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Canon 450D is a lovely camera to use: it isn't too heavy and has a lot of pre-set modes for taking pictures in various conditions - night time, sport, portrait etc. - which is handy for the beginner who will often like to 'let the camera do the work for them'. There are also other settings that allow much more manual changes, but can combine with automatic features, so is really good for someone trying to learn how to use an SLR step by step.

The lens that accompanies it is pretty good for most situations and I've taken some reasonable images of plants on the closest zoom and some good landscapes on the wide angle setting. I've found that colours are also accurate.

I bought this camera a few months ago from Amazon as part of a deal, so thought I would pass my words of caution on. This 'deal' included a 4GB memory card and a carry case. Brilliant, however, when it arrived the memory card was of the Compact Flash type and completely useless for the camera. At this moment (7th September) it appears you can purchase the correct type of memory card - the SDHC type - with the camera for approx. £470. This is a good deal, but please make sure that anything thrown in with the camera is compatible, as, from my experience, it appears you can't trust Amazon to do this for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALL ROUND SLR CAMERA, 6 Oct 2009
Viran Odedra - See all my reviews
I had this camera now for about 10 months and extremely pleased I made a right choice. My other choice which I nearly went for at the time was Sony 300/350 and Nikon D60.I am very thankful to the guy at a popular photographic shop who help me come to a decision after all it was a lot of money.

This camera had everything I was looking for!Live view!enough mega pixels,spot metering etc plus the sheer amount of used accessaries you could get on ebay. I picked up some very good used eos lenses on the cheap and taken some great photos while on holiday in India and Gran Canaria and superb photos on family parties/occasions. Some people have commented on the kit lens. I think its one of the best all rounder IS lens you could have.Canon is not stupid to tag it with their best seller for nothing!

Also if you like me moved from compact/film slr or new to digital slr photography, I very highly recommend a book by Ben Long 'The Canon Eos XSi/450D companion' It explains every buttons and functions of this camera in detail PLUS this is I really liked about the book, a complete class in digital photography using your very own 450D.What more do you want!A real bargain for the price!

If you are in two minds like I was!Take it from me you won't be disappointed!Good Luck and Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Beginners!!!, 26 April 2009
S. Jogwadikar (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for my first dslr and finally it was either the Nikon d80 or or the canon EOS 450D, i finally selected the Canon and i am already starting to love it. Although i may not be a pro like some of you here.... this camera is a excellent piece... Its not too heavy... the battery is good enough, its comfortable to handle and the adjustments are quiet friendly (although, it took me some time to figure out some of the settings :)) I have the lens that came with the kit, but you may think of buying seperate lens once you get comfortable using the camera. On the down side... It is a bit expensive as compared to Nikon D80. Do your research online before settling for the camera u want and your pocket can handle. All said and done... EXCELLENT!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›