5.0 out of 5 stars amazing camera
Published on 26 Sept. 2008 by Ms. An Danjuma

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Error
I bought this camera to replace my old and trusty 2mp IXUS for a 'holiday of a life time' trip. However, on the first day of the holiday, the lens failed to open and 'lens error' was displayed on the LCD. The camera never worked again. So no holiday snaps...huge disappointment!

On my return, I had a look on the internet and it seems that there are plenty of...
Published on 26 July 2009 by A. R. Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing camera, 26 Sept. 2008
Ms. An Danjuma "CIBS" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Digital IXUS 80 IS Camera - Silver (8.0MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought the canon ixus 80 is two days ago and so far, i'm very pleased with it.The camera is very compact and more attractive in sight than the web.The picture quality is amazing as well as the numerous applications which enhance the beauty of photographs taken.Definately worth every penny spent on it and more! Goes nicely with the leather Canon case for the ixus series.Also purchased that and very pleased with both purchases.However, a memory card is needed because the 32mb which comes with the camera is insufficient.More memory is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece of kit!, 13 Oct. 2008
I've been on the look-out for a while, for a compact that I can slip into my pocket, and yet which has good features and is capable of taking excellent shots. This one just ticks all the boxes; it oozes quality, fits in the palm of my hand and yet does not feel flimsy. I am still learning to use all the features (of which there are plenty), but if you just want to point and shoot, then this can do that too. Delighted with the early results! Pleased too, that there is a viewfinder, as well as a 2.5" screen. Buy the accompanying IXUS leather pouch too, it's beautifully made in leather with a nifty magnetic catch. It does not, in my opionion, significantly increase the dimensions of the camera, but is worth the extra protection if you keep your camera in your pocket, bag, etc.

If you're after a quality compact that is solidly made and has plenty of features, you can't go far wrong with this one. I agree that the supplied card is next to useless with its 32mb capacity, but with SD cards readily available (2G at £3 or £4) it does not cost the earth to have huge capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little compact, 7 Jun. 2008
Natala (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this as an alternative to my Digital SLR as I wanted something more compact that could be fitted into my pocket while giving me great pictures. Thats just what I got, light weight and compact with a gorgeous design to it (which is available in 4 colours). Most importantly the picture quality is great, I love the face detection feature, along with the motion detection and optical image stabilize technology work really well together to produce clear effortless pictures with minimal noise and blur.
I took it away on holiday with me and I got some great distance shots with it, as well as having a great close up (macro) feature. It also performed well during a concert I went too using the Optical Zoom.

I'd recommend the Canon Digital IXUS Leather case, this model of camera fits in it great and it looks the part, I've had so many compliments about how nice the case is. I also purchased a 2 GB memory card, as if your like me I like to take lots of pictures without having to worry about running out of space.

Great camera for those who want an easy to use compact camera to snap away with, with great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing camera for the money - Buy one!, 10 Oct. 2008
To be totally honest I know absolutely nothing about cameras. I have no interest in them. I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade through mountains of technical data which I probably wouldn't understand anyway. The camera was to be a gift for a friend of mine in India and as it had been rated so highly by Amazon reviewers I decided this well known manufacturer and model would be a pretty safe bet.

The thoughtful people at Canon even supply two different plug sizes and so charging the battery abroad presented no problems. After the initial charge my friend was 'up and running' with his new prized possession. I must confess that in Automatic Mode the results were amazing and made my Nikon Coolpix camera look terribly inferior by comparison.

At first the menus can look rather daunting but I would suggest taking a little time scrolling through the options to familiarise yourself with what function is where. Don't panic if you press a button or change a setting by accident. You can easily restore everything to its original setting with the press of one button. I guarantee that if I can understand it you will.

Battery life is superb but will of course depend on the amount of flash and zoom usage. Should you wish to conserve battery power you can switch off the LCD screen and use the internal viewfinder. To give you an example, in two weeks of extensive picture taking around southern India my friend charged the battery just twice.

The face detection facility and automatic removal of red-eye has to be seen to be believed. The video quality is also superb. In short, I was so impressed with my friend's camera that I ordered one for myself from Amazon while I was waiting for a connecting flight at the Internet Cafe in Colombo Airport, Sir Lanka. That's how good it is. My Nikon is now history!

I'd recommend you buy a good quality case as none is supplied. The camera has a highly polished metal trim and it would be a shame to spoil the appearance for the sake of a few £'s. I purchased the Canon IXUS leather case for around £13 from Amazon. Also be sure to buy an SD or SDHC memory card at least 2GB as the card supplied is woefully inadequate.

I really can't recommend this camera enough. Just buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Camera Canon!, 19 Aug. 2008
Kian (Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear) - See all my reviews
It has taken me over 2 months to finally decide what camera to buy. So I typed in my card details and bagged a little box of fun right here at Amazon for this little beauty.

The camera feels solid and simply oozes quality that you wont find on most compact point and shoot digital cameras. Its perfectly shaped to fit in the pocket too. Perfect for nights out! It has a solid feel with nice metal finishing around the lense which gives the impression that the camera has a crescent edging when it has not. Stylish it is very much so.

It is so easy to use as well, all the ixus cameras are and if your still stuck in the 80s listening to the vapors...the camera is made in Japan the forefront of electronic fun! I also like the fact it has a view finder as it seems so many cameras get rid of it for the LCD screen alone.

Another great addition is the ease of which you can transfer photos by it usb wire...no silly docking station to transfer photos! This is definetly without doubt one the best compact cameras for its size and capabilites (face recognition, red eye reduction, anti shake et al) at the moment...I would say its highly worth checking out and you can take it anywhere because of its size.

5.0 out of 5 stars If anyone can.., 12 Nov. 2008
T. Hammond (London) - See all my reviews
After a friend dropped my Sony DSC-W80 on the floor, it took me ages to find a replacement. After weeks of investigative work, trials, I chose the Canon IXUS 80 IS (image stabilisation). In the running were more expensive(!) cameras from Sony, Panasonic and Nikon.

The order was placed with Amazon, included free delivery and turned up quicker than I expected.

I've now played with the 80 IS for a few days now and I can report that the battery life is very good (probably a match for the Sony). The picture quality on any MP setting is excellent. I can't tell if there is any purple fringing with this camera (even with zoom) at all and even if you keep the picutres at max 8MP with minimal zoom you can easily edit out and still retain near perfect pictures anyway.

I'd say this camera is better than the Sony (just) for auto work, as the Sony had loads of manual settings. With the Canon you have to find them to use them.

For those that do party shots, pub shots, night shots - this is one excellent camera. Even in complete darkness shots you can prime the target by depressing the shoot button slightly (a redish light will appear to allow the auto focus to work) - then simply despress the button all the way to take the shot. Really impressive and much better than the Sony.

For me shutter times day or night - - are really important. I like to be able to power up, aim at my target and depress the shutter button. Picure taken. If I'm honest I couldn't rely on the Sony for this - - but I am with the Canon.

Of course you could spend a few more pounds and get a 10mp or 14.7mp panny DMC150 camera but for now - for all round abilty this is hard to beat. And it's cheap as chips and for Canon to be selling them at this price it's a steal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, minor quibbles, 6 Dec. 2008
G. Shortt (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Picture quality superb, ease of use excellent (still haven't needed to look at the manual), IS feature very impressive, and have many good snaps from the holiday I bought it for. Everyone has covered the plusses, and the price at Amazon is obviously superb value, so I'll focus on the minor gripes and frustrations I had.

1) Battery Life is Good, not Brilliant
I got 250-300 snaps from both the supplied Canon battery and the no-name replacement purchased separately. I also browsed shots on screen a few times and got a couple of minutes video. Each battery lasted four days of a fourteen day holiday. Foolishly, based on comments here, I did not take the charger as, although the unit is small, the cable is big and bulky. Frustratingly, the charger is small and compact and the US model has a two-pin attachment so it becomes a wall-plug. The supplied model, though, comes with a long and chunky UK power cord which undermines some of the benefits of having such a small camera and charging unit.

In summary, the battery life is good, but make sure you take the charger on holiday. This is my first new compact digital camera for five years and only my third camera so I don't know how this compares to other models but it is not as good as I had hoped. It certainly does not need charging daily though as some reviews suggest other models do.

2) Burst mode
Although there is a menu symbol indicating that several shots can be taken in quick succession in a 'burst mode', in practice this works only on timer and not when used normally. This would be a frustration for anyone wanting to take wildlife or action photos, although I accept that anyone serious about that kind of photography will be using a higher-spec camera.

EDIT: I have since discovered that the burst function is only disabled in auto-mode, in which a number of advanced features are disabled. The burst does work in the manual modes but is not particularly fast - 10 shots in 3.6 seconds.

3) Finish and accessories
You need a case which makes this a little less of a bargain. I bought the chocolate model and the finish is already worn on one corner. The supplied 32Mb card is, obviously, useless, but with SD cards of 2Gb and 4Gb now so cheap that is not really an issue (Note that older memory card readers will not read these SDHC cards and you'll have to use the USB connection - no big deal). With memory cards now so cheap, though, you wonder why Canon or Amazon can't just throw in a free 512Mb card at least.

Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent basic camera, 24 Sept. 2008
Ms. Mei Mei Lai "MML" (uk) - See all my reviews
i had a canon ixus i zoom, had it for 2 years until it broke down last week.
i wanted a very very similar camera, as i just bought a new batery and sd card...soemthing that would have the same features...
then i spotted this canon ixus 80 is on uk hot deals.
couldn't believe my eyes at the thought of it being £125 plus free P&P.
whats more is it used the same battery as my old camera, uses sd card...this is the best bit... uses the same programme as the old camera...therefore i didn't need to re install any programmes

the camera got dispatched on friday, i got my camera yesterday 2 working days later at 1.50pm.

the features are excetly like the ixus i zoom

the camera is light small and easy to use

one disappointment is that when i got the camera it DIDN'T have the film over the lcd

so i had to be carefull on using it

the original case is alot of money £30!! but i do recommend you buying one

if when using the camera your not happy with the quality, you can always edit the pics like a professional using zoombrowser which is included to install from the cd

i love my basic canon cameras

if like me your no pro, and want a basic but *up to date* camera this is the one

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 7 Oct. 2008
H. Narandas - See all my reviews
I could not have more praise for this camera. I bought is as i wanted to upgrade from my Kodak. This main reson was that the Kodak created a lot of red eye and not matter how many times i tried to remove it it just wouldnt go.

This camera is great. I got rid i the red eye in one go. The picture is crystal sharp. If you can spend that little bit extra on this camrea, its worth it!

The only drawback of this camera is the software. it is not so user friendly. I have no problem with using new gadgets, i usually pick up how to use them very quickly. I really needed to sit down and really read the instuctions properly as it is not so straight forward.

I would have given this camera 5 starts if it weren't for the software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon IXUS 80 IS Digital Camera, 25 Jun. 2008
R. Brennan "Broadcastic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a digital SLR but wanted a second camera that was compact and simple to use. I also wanted some nice extra features to make it fun. The Canon IXUS 80 IS was perfect.

Things that I like are, great design, solid feel, display information, image stabilisation, time lapse video and up to 15sec of over exposure.

Things that I don't like are, Some features hidden in menus, viewfinder is too small and only 32MB SD supplied.