4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player
Published on 19 Jun 2008 by Mr. Derek J. Hawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, but no xvid
hi, this thing is ok, but you must be aware that it DOES NOT play xvid videos, which is basically everything you downloaded. I can't believe I made such a school boy error assuming that as just about every dvd player with divx also plays xvid that this would too.
Published on 1 Feb 2009 by A. Cummings

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player, 19 Jun 2008
Mr. Derek J. Hawkins "warmanns" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
Good little player. Excellent picture and sound quality on standard shop bought DVDs. Easily converts to multi-region as reported by other reviewers so I can play my 30+ DVDs sourced in the USA. Does struggle with DVDs from other recorders though. DVD-Rs can 'jump' and sometimes pixelate. Warning! this player will NOT play DVD-RW 'VR' or DVD-RAM discs. So all the discs I created and edited to remove the adverts, will not play. I confirmed this with Toshiba technical support. Still a nice well-built player for the money though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain Price DVD Player, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
Having been very happy with Toshiba products in the past- a microwave oven which finally had to be replaced after 24 years and my Toshiba rear projection tv, I decided to replace my Phillips player which died exactly one week after the 12 month expiry. As I have a huge collection of dvds from diferent regions, the first port of call was the multi-region hack. This was accomplished in seconds. The box says that it will play dvd-r's that are recorded on a dvd recorder but might not play others. However it plays the several PC recorded dvd-r's I've so far tried perfectly. Highly recommended. I just hope Toshiba are still building their products with the same durability I've come to expect and appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD player at a bargin price, 25 Oct 2008
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
Was looking for a DVD player to replace a nasty cheapo Currys one that refused to play burnt DVD's, ended up buying this Tosh SD270 and i have to say its a great little player.

As i haven't yet succumbed to the "posh telly" influences on the high street the lack of HDMI port didn't affect my decision, it has component connections if and when i do require something to upscale to 720p/1080i (don't worry, i don't really understand that last bit either)

To get this machine to perform as a multi region player simply follow the following instructions

The Hack Procedure:
- Power On
- Open Tray
- Press 9879 0 (0 stands for Multiregion, you may press buttons 1 to 6 to choose a specific region)
- A Message appears stating that "The Reg.No was changed to: [insert whatever region (0-6) you selected here]"

That's all, now you can watch every DVD you please... :)

All in all, for 30Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player ish delivered within 3 days, i refuse to grumble, it looks nice, has played everything i've tried including some DivX stuff burnt straight from my PC, and all in all i'm a very happy bunny

Now if someone could help me find a 32" LCD for around 100 i'll be even happier

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 22 April 2008
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
If you are not after top-of-the-range DVD player with HDMI upscaling go for this one but bear in mind that the price reflects its abilities. It played my DivX movies brilliantly, as well as the rest of my DVD's.The quality of the music coming out from this player is just right. Do not expect any extras. The display can only show the number of the chapter when playing DVD's and it also has a limited buffer memory when playing your pictures, therefore if you store your "precious moments" on DVD discs do expect that it can only display about 1000 images in less than 256 folders and cannot display files larger than 10 MB (info from Toshiba helpline, who by the way were really helpful and responded to my query within two days).You can also make this little player play your discs from different regions by using the same hack as used in Toshiba SD-270E.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good dvd player but buy correct tv/dvd connection cable, 2 Jan 2009
William J. D. Johnstone (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
As other reviews have stated this is a very good dvd player - great value for money.
I was thinking of getting a more expensive player with upscaling abilities but, after reading an article in a av forum which said that the difference was very small and that average consumers would probably only be able to identify the upscale dvd player when viewing side by side with a cheaper one, I decided not to bother and save my money.
Whether this is true or not I don't really know, Anyway this cheap(ish) Toshiba player provides an excellent picture and sound.
But a couple of points to remember - (1) it connects to your tv via a SCART to SCART connection cable and NOT a HDMI cable. There is no HDMI connection on the player. (2) the same article as above said it was worth buying a good SCART connection to ensure optimum picture/sound quality.
I "invested" in a relatively expensive THOR scart to scart cable. Apart from the tv quality aspect, the THOR cable looks and feels as though it's built to last - maybe even longer than the player or the tv !!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 33 I have spent in many years., 25 Oct 2008
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought this product after reading Andrew Swainson's review, I followed his instructions and bingo - region free viewing at last.
I have 3 DVD players and 2 recorders a couple of them over the 400 bracket, not one of them responded to any of the hacks I was able to find, they may have indicated they would but when I inserted a disc "region-code error" or a similar message appeared. However, this little beauty kicked in straight away and has recognised and played Region 1 & 4 discs, plays TV recordings, copied discs and S-VCD and that's all I've tried so far. It's slim and very unobtrusive (unlike me) and looks far better than the price tag would suggest. Setting the machine up was an absolute doddle.
For a B-movie fan like me this is the best 30 plus postage I have spent in years, now I can start to get hold of a wealth of movies that I have always wanted over the years that are only available on Region 1.
Well done Toshiba.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it for the price, 18 Jun 2008
Andrew Swainson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
I've had this player all of five hours but so far it has delivered everything I've wanted from it... good Divx playback and multi-region via a handset hack ( Power On > Open Tray > Press 98790 (the "0" here stands for multi-region, you can replace this last digit with 1 to 6 if you want to choose a specific region). It even has component outputs and progressive scan, though I haven't had the chance to check out performance using that (which is why I'm holding one star back :-). It's only going to be used for casual viewing and with that in mind I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player and service by Amazon.co.uk, 24 Dec 2008
Anonymus (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
My DVD player refused to play any longer and I ordered this DVD-player a few days before Christmas. As usual, I chosed my company as the delivery address and when Amazon sent a message that it would be delivering after Christmas, I didn't see a problem. I was surprised when I read an e-mail on the 24th of December in the morning that Amazon would be delivering today. We are a European company and are always closed on Christmas Eve.
I went to my company and put a note outside with my home address and you can image how happy I was when 2 hours later the delivery service came. Many thanks Amazon for this great service!
The DVD-player was made just for me: simple to use and works fine. I just put the DVD in and press the play button.
Although I have bought 99% of my DVDs in Europe, I also have some region 1 DVDs (like A Human Voice with Ingrid Bergman), which were never released in Europe.
I followed the instructions below and chosed "0" (multi-region") and it works! If you choose the region once, it is not necessary to change it every time after that. I also wouldn't recommend choosing a special region, because some drives allow changing the region only once and "0" is for region "1-4", I believe, but I am not sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, but no xvid, 1 Feb 2009
A. Cummings (scotland not britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
Its also quite unresponsive aswell, you press the power button like three times before it comes on, then press the open/close button a couple of times, that kind of thing, apart from that but it does its job, cheap as hell though

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain DVD, 25 April 2008
This review is from: Toshiba SD280E - DVD Player (Electronics)
Wont add too much to what has already been said, suffice to say it ticks all the boxes and for 30 one of the cheapest around.
I would mention that when mine arrived, the box it was in did not mention it was DVD+r/rw compatable only DVD-r/rw despite saying on the website that it was.
Thankfully it plays all types! Must just be a packaging error!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›