5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Performance By Jolie
Published on 21 Mar 2002 by Gareth Jones (changedmypleatog...

3.0 out of 5 stars gia
very good acting very good film one of her best worth watching for the storyline.will watch more angelina jolie films
Published 4 months ago by ghosts

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Performance By Jolie, 21 Mar 2002
This review is from: Gia [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
As a big, big Angelina Jolie fan for many years, Gia was the one film I was still to see as it has not been shown on UK television and was never in cinemas. Before I saw it, I thought it was going to be your typical cheesey TV Movie that gets shown on Channel Five at 3.30pm. However, it blew me away and confirmed what a fantastic actress Angelina really is.It tells the story of tragic supermodel Gia Marie Carangi and her battles against drugs and later HIV. The part of Gia is a tough part to play but Jolie handles it so well - indeed I think only Angelina could have played this part (just as only she could play Lara Croft). As with all of her films, every time Jolie appears on screen she lights it up and is always a pleasure to watch. Her performance in Gia reduced me - a fully grown 6'3 man - to tears! It's a long film at two hours but it flies by. I have every other Jolie film on DVD and this is a worthy addition to the back catalogue. If you are a Jolie fan, I'm sure you're going to buy this anyway. However, if you are still to discover exactly what it is that makes people praise Jolie,snap this up at a bargain price. You won't regret it and you'll soon be an avid Angelina follower! ..

5.0 out of 5 stars "....this or me?", 1 Oct 2002
This review is from: Gia [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
I must admit here and now that I wasn't a huge fan of Angelina Jolie before I saw this movie. I had seen "The Bone Collector" and thought it good...but quite frankly I had turned my back on her other role choices such as Lara Croft. However the theme behind "Gia" caught my eye and I took a peek....I'm glad I did.
Jolie is quite simply brilliant in this movie. No one else could have played the role of the supermodel who epitomised the slogan, "Too beautiful to die, too wild to live". With her stunning looks, background in modelling and rebellious charm, the line between actress and character, reality and fiction is lost and forgotten in this movie....a symbol of good directing, a fantastic story line and above average casting.
The movie moves from when Gia was first discovered at the age of 17, along the route of cameras, relationships, drug abuse and her eventual death in 1986 attributed to H.I.V. A sample of a rare mainstream movie that places a lesbian relationship at the heart of it's storyline...and paints it in an acceptable, artistic and moving tone.
Acting credit must also be given to the likes of Kylie Travis, Mercedes Ruehl, Faye Dunaway, and Elizabeth Mitchell of recent BBC feature "Man and Boy" and "ER" fame. Mitchell plays alongside Jolie as Linda, her make-up artist and love interest. Ironically, for me, it is Mitchell who delivers the most powerful line of the movie, "....this or me?"; once delivered the lump in the throat developed and I was glad I had taken a peek at "Gia".
All in all an excellent movie that treats a very senstive subject with great respect. Through it you get a sense of Gia Curangi the person...something that the 1980's public and fashion industry failed to acknowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and delicious, 9 July 2006
Ms. K. Phillips "msmysterious" (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gia [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Gia is not a film for the faint hearted, it features the pain of a drug fueled existence and a life of loneliness.

For those willing to watch from beginning to end will share all the emotion of Gia (played brilliantly by Angelina Jolie)

The film is partly set out as documentary featuring characters surrounding Gias short life. Their varied opinions and thoughts help to sculpture Gia as a person as you watch her journey unfold.

I do recommend this film to Angelina Jolie fans but also anyone interested in a story about strength. Gia Marie Curangi was a real person and what from what I've read of this fascinating womans true struggle this depiction of her life is fairly true to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST SEE, 23 Jan 2004
This review is from: Gia [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Now, I am a fan of Angelina's. One might say a die-hard fan of hers. I even bought 'The Good Sheppherd' which was a cinematic train wreck. But having found 'Gia' in a little second-hand DVD shop, I thought I'd add to my collection and was genuinely surprised by how moved I was by Angelina as the young and painfully innocent Gia. This film has become the one that I lend people to remedy their 'Brangeina' hatred and to give Angelina some redemption for some of her less well-chosen roles. The film starts with a young, carefree girl who has a happy but sheltered life working in her dad's restaurant. Spotted by a talent scout, she is swept into a world that she is too young and naieve in many ways to be in, where she is loved and loathed in equal measure. If you thought being a model was all easy living, partying and sex, you were right... on the surface. But this true story shows you the darker underbelly of life in the spotlight and how this beautiful young woman was chewed up and spat out by the very industry which promised her the world.
The plot includes a very sad portrayal of Gia's turbulent and often obsessive relationship with women- her mother, her girlfriend, her mentor in the industry; and with the drugs that would ultimately claim her young life. And you can't help simultaniously wanting to protect her, slap her, and be with her. This film will really change your mind about Angelina if you don't particularly rate her, and if you like a film to make you think then you should watch this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 10 Sep 2001
This review is from: Gia [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
This is one of the best films I have ever seen. It tells the story of Gia Marie Carangi, one of America's first supermodels. Not only is the story compelling, but the acting by Angeline Jolie is second to none. Angelina is best young actress I have ever seen. She is Gia, the lesbian. Gia, the model. Gia, the daughter. Gia, the drug addict. The story ends with the death of a star by AIDS from an infected needle. Not only if the story of her professional life amazing, it's intertwined with the story of her personal life. She is a lesbian and her onscreen lover, Elizabeth Mitchell puts on a great show aswell. This is a MUST SEE film. It will have you crying, laughing and anything else. I have never seen a film with such emotion and such brilliant portrayal of emotion as GIA starring Angeina Jolie. BUY THIS !!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolie's best work overlooked., 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Gia [DVD] (DVD)
Jolie plays the part of Gia with real skill. I think this film is often overlooked in the wake of Jolie's larger roles, but this really is an exceptional film that tells the true story of model Gia Carangi. Heartfelt and tragic, this film is a great addition to any collection as the gritty element of modelling and drug abuse, as well as homosexuality are confronted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart Breaking., 11 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gia [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
I'd heard a little about Gia from Angelina Jolie websites (I'm a fan of hers) and became interested in the film because of the storylines of drug abuse and lesbianism/bisexuality. The story is a heart breaking one and it tells all to well how society chews people up and then spits them out. From the face on every magazine cover (Cyndi Crawford was known as Baby Gia when she first began modeling), the girl everybody wanted to be to a homeless junkie with AIDS, whom now, next to nobody remembers. The film isn't particularly true to her life story but taken just as a film it's fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelina's Truly Spellbinding, 1 Aug 2008
I. Hall "H Hall" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gia [DVD] (DVD)
I recently watched this and having not heard anything about the supermodel Gia Carangi was instantly blown away by Angelina Jolie's portrayal as Gia. You can see why Angelina won an Oscar a year later in her other great film Girl Interrupted. This sad and moving true story tries to explain why Gia did what she did. I won't spoil this for you but, this is not for the faint-hearted. I thought all the acting was great as was Faye Dunaway as Gia's Agent. Angelina's truly spellbinding in this film. Great film all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars gia (angelina jolie), 23 Jun 2003
This review is from: Gia [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
being an Angelina Jolie fan 4 some years this was one of her films i had not seen so reading all the great reviews it got i decided to buy it anyway.Angelina`s looks and acting in this r amazing and u kind of fall in love with the character straight away.The story shows the highs and lows of becoming a top model and how she battles with drug addiction and the consequences it has on her health and loved ones.All in an amazing performance from angelina that quite rightly won her a golden globe with such a touching performance.A must for any angie fan enjoy,i now i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars million times better than i expected...., 26 May 2006
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gia [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I was told this wasn't a good film at all but after seeing Angelina Jolie in 'Girl, Interrupted' i was willing to give it a go. I'm glad i did.

Angelina Jolie's acting is of the highest quality in this movie and the supporting cast backs her up very well. The thoughts and feelings of each character are projected off the screen so well you can almost touch it.

The story is based on the true story of Gia, a young girl with insecurities a mile long who suddenly becomes one of the most sort after models of the early 80's.

She meets and falls for Linda, a make-up artist, and they embark on an on-off relationship as Linda insists she will not tolerate Gia's drug habit. Gia's life is unsteady and swamped with the highest highs and lowest lows.

A very emotional movie if you take the time to absorb the deeper meaning of the script.

The only beef i have is with the unnecessary sex and nude scenes included. I understand some of them taken in context of the movie play an important part but there are limits to even that.

Some of the scenes could have been avoided while others were rather graphic so if you have a problem with the likes of then maybe you should think twice about seeing this.

As for me, i still think its one worth adding to the collection.

Happy viewing....

Gia [DVD]
Gia [DVD] by Michael Cristofer (DVD - 2008)
4.01