5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Excellent
After using a Gillette Mach 3 for many years I decided to try Double-Edge Shaving. Being relatively cheap I ordered this item and wow, I am truly impressed.

Advantages of this over multi-blade razors:
- The double edge blade is incredibly effective and cuts hair with ease.
Published on 5 April 2010 by Mr. G. E. Dreyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Introduction to DE Razor
Cheap way into DE shaving...Bought this with a wilkinson brush and some palmolive shaving cream.
The difference between this and my Edwin Jagger DE89L is night and day however...
If I was to advise, I'd just say miss this step and go straight to a Edwin Jagger/Merkur...
Published on 21 Jun. 2012 by Sparko

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Excellent, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Wilkinson Sword Blades Classic Double-Edged Razor +5 Blades (Personal Care)

Advantages of this over multi-blade razors:
- The double edge blade is incredibly effective and cuts hair with ease.
- Overall more accurate for shaving, and much easier to shave around the side burns.
- Very easy to clean whilst shaving (unlike the multi-blade razors that get clogged all the time and are difficult to clean).
- The replacement blades for this type of razor are very cheap. I bought 100 for around £8, which will last me for almost a decade!

I would most definitely recommend this to anyone looking to try Double-Edged Shaving!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real men say no to multi-blade nonsense!, 1 Sept. 2010
For me, this is so much better than a "modern" multi-blade system, for the following reasons:
- If it gets clogged, you can easily loosen the blade and rinse away the clogging.
- Shaving is quicker, because having two edges, you only need to rinse the razor half as many times (shave, turn, shave, rinse) per shave.
- The blades seem to last longer, and are cheaper to replace than multi-blade cartidges.
- I'm not encouraging the razor manufacturers in their arms race towards absurd numbers of blades per cartridge!

Perhaps the shave is not quite as close as a brand new 5-blade (!) cartridge, but quite frankly, who cares? The quest for the ultimate close shave (for the first hour after you shave) is just something the ad men want to push. Real men don't care!

4.0 out of 5 stars very forgiving DE safety razor, 30 Dec. 2011
The Wilkinson Sword Classic is a very forgiving DE safety razor.
It is in the category of mild safety razor. The construction is of a two piece design, primarily of plastic with a plastic thread and a metal weighted handle with a plastic honeycombed effect grip offering confident handling when wet.

Plus and minus side of mild DE safety razors in general.
Great for those wanting a mild shave or used to disposable and cartridge razors afraid of turning their face into hamburger.
Possible problem comes if you intend to progress onto a better quality razor as the vast majority of DE razors say 90% of them are medium catagory, there are very few good quality mild razors that are reasonably priced on the market.

DE razors basically come in three categories of safety razor:
Mild aggressive safety razor, Medium aggressive safety razor and Aggressive safety razor.
This accommodates different beard and skin types. The vast majority of people including those with sensitive skin like myself can easily use a medium aggressive razor like the hugely popular DE89 razor or the Merkur 34C.

One more thing DE razor blades also come in varying degrees of sharpness, so try a mixed sample pack to find your ideal combination, you can get a mixed sample pack for a very good price.

I strongly suggest you watch mantic59 shave tutor on youtube as there is a different shaving technique required from disposable or cartridge razors.

Top tips for newbie's to DE shaving:
Good lathering is very important for a comfortable shave get a proper shaving soap or cream not that stuff out of a pressurised can, and get a shaving brush as a properly hydrated lather will feel like pure luxury even if you go back to your multi-blade razor.

If this is your first time with a DE razor, shave with the grain of the beard and across the grain, try not to go against the grain for now.
Also keep your wrist straight don't swivel it, let the weight of the razor do it's job, normally you don't apply pressure with a DE razor but the Wilkinson Sword Classic is so light you will probably need to apply a little, not much just a little.

Take your time shaving, enjoy it, don't rush it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more solid than the picture suggests., 25 April 2012
This looks from the photograph to be of similar weight and construction to the plastic disposables or some of the cheaper plastic multi blade design saftey razors. In fact it is a composite of metal (the core of the handle is metal), resin and plastic and, in terms of weight is pretty close to many all metal constructions. It seems pretty robust too and holds the blade well, although the thread on the screw head that keeps the blade in place is plastic which might lead to some durability issues over time.

In use the razor works well and is easy to clean. As has been extensively remarked on by other reviewers single blade DE safety razors in general are much easier to clean than their multi blade cousins. They are much cheaper to run as well, because blades work out between 8p and 20p each, depending on brand and how many you buy. Another advantage is that the DE blade is a generic design and any make of blade will fit any make of razor, giving you a much better choice of brands, coatings and materials (that is why Gillette has pretty much abandoned this particular market - for now). Needless to say, each make of cartridge safety razor will only take cartridges of that brand and design. These are frequently horrendously expensive. Some people also find that the multi blade designs cut the hair too short (as the adverts tell you the first blade pulls the hair out the next one(s) cut it before it retracts beneath the skin). This can lead to irritation and razor bumps for some individuals.

In summary this is an excellent product from one of the most famous brands in the shaving market, and the price is fantastic. There are all metal razors of doubtful provenance available at this price point, but this is a safe choice from a reliable brand, with 5 free blades thrown in. What more can you ask!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditch your expensive 5 blade razors and get one of these!!, 27 Feb. 2013
I FINALLY HAD ENOUGH OF PAYING £13 for a set of blades for my fusion razor so I thought I would try one of these. I bought a proper brush and soap to go with it.
The razor gives a far better closer shave than the fusion: it takes a little time to get it right, and I also shave once, then re-soap and shave again if I want a really close shave. The blades last about 4 shaves and are easy to change.
Shaving is fun again and I look forward to using the kit.
If you are worried about cutting yourself: don't be. I have shaved around 12 times now and never cut once. Take it slowly and never shave across: only up and down and keep the razor leaning on the top guard and you will be fine. Its saved me a fortune! Go and get one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Closest Shave - But Definitely the Most Forgiving!, 23 Dec. 2012
L ANDERSON (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the second DE Safety Razor I've bought since switching from Cartridge Razors. The other DE Safety Razor I own is the Giesen and Forsthoff Timor Safety Razor. The Giesen and Forsthoff Timor Safety Razor I have used three times, and two of those times made me bleed. Of course many factors contribute to this, from the blade to technique and even the shaving gel, but it was horrific enough to make me try another Razor. This seemed to be a fairly decent, cheap beginners razor so I decided to get one.

I have used this razor once, and so judging it so soon would be wrong, but I can at least tell you about my experience with it for the one time I did use it. Learning from previous mistakes I made sure to lather my shaving gel this time and I used the Wilkinson Sword blades that came with the razor. I then started to shave. This razor is very mild and I think will give a forgiving shave with almost any blade. The safety bar is fairly large compared to my Giesen and Forsthoff Timor Safety Razor and I think this plays a part in how close the shave is.

Although the shave was comfortable and forgiving, and I even managed not to open up previous razor burn cuts I had from my last shaving experience, it definitely doesn't allow for the closest shave ever. Again, how close your shave is will depend on the type of blades you use and your technique, but I found my shave was rather mild. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. My skin felt safe, I had no visible beard of sorts and it would easily allow me to work with food without my manager saying anything. I would have preferred just a slightly closer shave, with no stubble what so ever, but I understand you can't have your cake and eat it with razors. Some are close shavers but cut magnets, some are forgiving but leave you with a shadow.

All in all, I would recommend this razor. Especially for beginners or those with sensitive skin. The long handle with counterweight, plastic material and large safety bar make for a pleasurable forgiving shaving experience that even the most novice of novices would enjoy. However, if you're looking for the "ultimate close shave", look elsewhere. 8/10

Video Review and further updates to follow over the coming days/weeks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Introduction to DE Razor, 21 Jun. 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starter - but know what you're getting into, 26 Jan. 2013
D. Greer (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
Because of the price I would expect many buyers to get this like I did as an inexpensive move into traditional wet shaving and for that it is excellent. I still use it occasionally despite having a considerably more expensive solid metal razor.

Please Remember
If you've never shaved with a DE razor before don't expect to be an expert straight away - in fact your first month of shaves will probably be rubbish - that's ok. Shaves won't be smooth or that comfortable as you, and your skin, adapt to a new way of doing things. THIS IS NOT THE RAZOR'S FAULT.

Pros
It has a decent weight even though it is made of resin with a metal core. As a 2 piece it is simple to assemble. It comes with quality blades (it is a Wilkinson Sword) but please see above...

Cons
A bit bulky, especially around the blade edges which is nice and safe but makes shaving under your nose for example more difficult.
Both the amount of blade exposed and the angle it is presented at mean you get a mild shave. For a beginner this is a good thing as it means less nicks and cuts (and these will lessen as your skill improves) but as you get better you will probably want a more aggressive razor to get the BBS shave you have heard about.

Overall
I've never regretted my purchase and as my skill level has increased I have seen this razor in a different light. It does what it does very well - you can get a really good shave with it but by the time you have that level of skill you will probably want something else. But keep this and use it every now and then to remind you of why you moved on.

5.0 out of 5 stars wilkinson sword classic ..Bargain safety razor !!!!!, 21 Sept. 2011
Pete C (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great little piece of kit for the money it's unbeatable ,nicely designed and excellent value it's a great travel or back up razor . I have a vintage Gillette Fatboy and Gillette slim adjustables and this at a tenth of the cost is pretty close to them in terms of ability to do the job . Not the greatest shave ever but take your time as with all wet shaves technique and time taken are everything , Unbeatable value nicely made ,looks sexy (black) quite heavy in the hand so feels quality beyond it's modest price tag. Don'T be a sucker for cartridge shavers any longer the refill price for those fusion and mach 3s etc etc is pure EXTorsion no wonder Gillettes share price is so healthy with suckers (I was one ) paying £10 plus per month on refills of 4 blades for fancy shavers when this little cheap wilkinson sword de classic runs at about £1- £2 per month at the very most(buy the blades in bulk is even cheaper ) Good de blades and the quality of the shave is better .Check out you tube or any wet shave forum let the truth be told and convert the fools who pay through the nose for fancy cartridge shavers to cheap shaving as our fathers and grandfathers before us did !
BUY this item and graduate from there to a vintage or a nice new wet shaver once you get the knack you will never go back !.

The moaners who say this is a crap shaver obviously do not know how to use it correctly all real DE shavers require a little finesse and practice to use correctly after that settling in period sit back and count the money you save on fancy cartridge systems . :)

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, for a start., 4 July 2013
J. Friend "kemelo" (kent, uk) - See all my reviews
For the money you cant moan, it gives an ok shave. Good for someone debating wether to proper shave or not. I upgraded to the Murker 1904 after this one and the shave was amazing. Good for a beginner but will leave you wanting better.