4.0 out of 5 stars Good lens for the price
[Review for the Nikon fit lens]

Pros:
Published on 14 Jan. 2010 by Mister R

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lens but be wary of autofocus issues with Nikon D3000
I bought this lens for use with my Nikon D3000 camera. The literature on the Sigma website and the limited information provided on the amazon product page indicated that the lens is provided with a motor that allows support for auto-focus function with all Nikon DSLRs. However while the lens fitted correctly and produced sharp satisfactory images with manual focusing, the...
Published on 2 Oct. 2011 by Photo_memory

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lens for the price, 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro For Nikon Digital & Film Cameras (Electronics)
[Review for the Nikon fit lens]

Pros:
Cheap - if you aren't looking for crystal clarity and will use it only in circumstances where camera shake won't be a big deal (i.e. not at full focal length, using a tripod or in full sunlight), you can get surprisingly good images. It'll never compete quality-wise with a £2000 pro lens, but at this price it doesn't have to.

Near-macro performance (1:2 isn't full macro) unless you're wanting to get up close and personal with individual ants, it makes for a passable macro lens. Remember to use that tripod, though.

Overall value - in the world of SLR photography, you rarely get much for less that £150, especially when it's a long zoom with macro functionality.

Cons:
Construction quality is ok, and while it can look impressive fully extended, to handle it can start to appear flimsy, and feels more blue peter than blue ribbon. I have doubts over its long term survival. At this price though, it's hard to complain.

Image Quality is good in the 70-150mm range with no real problems, but as you approach 300mm you start to see blurring creep in from the sides, and chromatic abberation becomes an issue in high contrast areas (e.g. tree branches against the sky). Worse than my other lenses, but still not so bad as to make your photos unusable.

In summary it's an average to good quality lens, and for people who want something to cover those full zoom scenarios they might need on the odd occasion without breaking the bank, it would be hard to do better. If I needed a 300mm lens on a daily basis though, I'd definately look at a higher end model (and accompanying higher end price tag).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 17 April 2009
Emma Gorman - See all my reviews
I've only had this lens for a couple of days, but so far I've been really impressed with the picture quality. I'm new to using Digital SLRs, and currently have a Nikon D60, with the 17-55mm standard kit lens. The sigma lens comes with a macro facility between 200-300mm, which so far has given great picture quality and detail, even without a tripod (although a tripod would definitely be recommended as the lens and camera together are quite heavy). I'm planning to use the lens for some nature photography, and for the money, I think this is a great buy, particularly if you're new to digital photography and are not keen on spending hundreds of pounds on lenses. The autofocus also works well, and is not too loud for nature photographs (although the manual focus is easy to use if the noise is a concern). If you are an experienced photographer, then the difference between an expensive 70-300mm lens and this one may be obvious, but for a beginner, I couldn't fault this piece of kit so far. Also, the distributor, 47th St Photo, is excellent, service is really fast and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC LENS!!! GREAT BUY!!!, 20 May 2010
As a professional photographer I was very nervous about buying this lens, however I was in desperate need of a last minute emergancy lens for very little cash until I could get a new Nikon model! This lens is a brilliant buy! I researched it through various sources for days before buying it and in the end I decided to just buy it and pray! I am so glad I did!

It is well built and very strong and the auto focus is well above parr - better infact than on some Nikon lenses I have used! And as an added bonus it comes with a lens hood. As this is not a VR lens, I would recommend the use of a tripod for non-professional photographers and as you may find it heavy and experience "camera shake" but that is to be expected of a lens this size!

I am unable to fault this lens at all, it is a brilliant buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding lens, 23 Aug. 2009
S. Leggett (UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, you will not believe just how good this lens is until you try it. It's very rare that a product surpasses your expectations even when the majority of reviews you may have read are good, but this does trust me. Autofocus is fast and accurate and only very rarely gets caught 'searching'. I shot about 500 frames at two wildlife parks recently and only a couple of times did it struggle to find the subject behind bars (and we all know what fun and games that can be!!)

Results are very sharp straight out of the camera and colour saturation I found was even better than the kit lens. You really will be getting pro quality results in no time with this baby. As for needing a tripod, what a load of old cobblers. Unless you've got seriously shaky hands you'll have no problem getting great pictures. A couple of tips on this point, firstly try and make sure your shutter speed is at least equal to the focal length, for example if your at 200mm then 1/200 sec, or more if possible. If you think your on the limit for hand holding use the continuous shooting mode and whack off 3 or more frames, your bound to get at least one in sharp focus. If the light isn't great just up the ISO - most of my recent animal shots were at 800 ISO and they look excellent.

A lot has been said about the noisy mechanics on this lens. Sure it's louder than the kit lens but as for scaring off a herd of wildebeest two miles away, get real!!! Again you'll have to trust me it's not a problem.

Finally I've noticed that not all that much has been said about the macro mode on this lens. Guess what, I'm gonna rave about that too!! It really is superb. I've done a fair amount of macro on my D40 and whilst the images have always been vibrant from the kit lens the Sigma takes it all to a completely new level. Even when there isn't a great deal of distant between subject and background you get fantastic shots, with those milky blurred backdrops seen on magazine pages. This is the real deal, and at this price a total steal. Go for it and have fun.

Oh, and one more thing, of course it bloody autofocuses on a D40. It says so in the description for starters, but if yours doesn't you've either ordered the wrong one or it's faulty in which case send it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars good lens & excelent macro, quality double what i expected, 9 April 2009
K. Davenport "Katie D" (Blackburn, Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
bought this lens through amazon from 47th st photo in new york to use with a nikon d60, i received it in the UK two and a half days later(excelent service), i have to say i have only used it for a day but i am amazed at the quality of the shots especialy in macro mode the finnished pictures are professional like, but macro can only be engaged between 200-300mm but still great, unless you have a really steady hand a tripod is possibly required after 220mm , internal focus is fast and precise and depending what af setting you have your camera on ie continuouse for instance it can re-focus on something else if you move it , internal motor is louder than my nikkor 18-105mm but i dont think its as noisy as some of the other reviews indicate, what i am not keen on is the rotatinng element to focus as this is the reason i sold my 18-55mm kit lens , in genral a very good lens which is at least double the quality that i expected, some say you get what you pay for which goes to show how much we as consumers get ripped off as this is double what i paid for, personaly im glad i bought this and can recomend it just for the macro alone, i hope to take it down to silverstone in a couple of months for the renault world series and give it a proper field test and hopefuly review it after that

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Price - Good Lens, 19 July 2011
D Harrison (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
As an amateur photographer who has a Nikon D3000 with a kit lens I wanted a lens with an increase zoom for wildlife and aviation photography.

I took the lens on its first real outing to an airshow to try it out and generally it coped well, the focusing was smooth and didn't take too long apart from a few moments in Shutter priority mode when the lens didn't seem to find its target and took a little 'searching' (I know this has been covered in other reviews)

Overall the picture quality was good, it is not amazing but then this is not a £500+ lens so I was not expecting professional results, at 300mm there was some slight bluring but nothing that would spoil an image (unless you are looking for competion winners!)

For the amateur photograher on a budget this lens will tick all of the right boxes for general usage, for those who are looking to use this lens for activities such as aviation photography it may be worth looking at other models more suited to the task. (I have posted a picture of one of my shots in the gallery for reference)

In terms of build quality, I think the build quality is good and have had no real concerns, I have swapped the lens on and off quite a few times whilst on holiday and can say it seems fine. As a 'bonus' feature the lens also came with a hood, good for stopping lens flare.

Overall, a good lens at a great price, professionals will probably want to look at higher end lenses but for amateurs on a budget this is a sensible choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great item for a Nikon D60 beginner, 24 May 2009
This has certainly be one of the best buys I have made from Amazon over the last 8 years. I purchased a Nikon D60 with basic lens kit about a month ago as I was keen to take photography up as a interest. I purchasesd the "Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL-M "Motorized" DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens" to experiment some photography at moving objects such as wildlife and boy was I impressed with the outcome.

I read the other reviews about this product which all said were good but the only drawback was that the len motor was a bit noisy. The noise is audible but was not so loud to scare bird life away when I took some 300 photos at a bird park.

I would be happy to recommend this item to other people for the easy of use/fitting and the quality of pictures. I was even given a free lens cleaning kit as gift. I guess I would not get that at Currys/Dixons! .

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 16 Nov. 2010
Wanted a zoom lens for my Nikon D40 but couldn't afford a Nikon lens. Bought this after reading other reviews. Have used for taking photos of powerboat racing. Fantastic value for money. Probably slightly more noisy motor than with my 18-55 Nikon lens but very rapid response and great quality images. Really glad I purchased this lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 70-300mm Lens Nikon Fit, 29 April 2011
Jaydeeare (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I received this lens a couple of days ago and have used it quite successfully with my D60.

1. The motor is noisier than my normal Nikkor lenses, but I was expecting that.
2. Macro, this is not strictly true as a pure macro is 1:1. This lens is 1:2. I feel this should be re-labelled 'Close-up'.
3. I did find the switch between Normal and Macro a bit fiddly and stiff at first, but once I got used to it it was OK.
4. It is heavy, as expected. thre again, is it any heavier than comparable lenses? I wouldn't have thought so considering the amount of glass involved.
5. There is no vibration reduction with this lens, so it's back to basics in using it. It certainly needs a tripod or some support for the full 300mm, unless you have a very steady hand or adjust the speed for a faster exposure - not always practical.
6. The focus certainly can hunt until it settles and I did find this a tad frustrating. The Manual focus is very smooth. So no problems there, either.
7. The build quality seems to be good, as it feels very sturdy. Time will tell on this.
8. The clarity and sharpness of the shots I've taken are good. No complaints there, although Professionals may well dispute this.

For the price, I found it very good value for money. Would I recommend it? Yes, with the caveat of the above findings.

I expect this to be a near permanent fixture to my camera for most of my shooting.

One final point, the delivery by Amazon arrived bang on the day expected. So the usual excellent service from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 29 April 2009
Helen Evans "Richard & Helen" (West Wales) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews before buying this lens and must say I agree mostly with whats been said.

Firstly the lens was delivered within 4 days from the states, amazing considering the time it takes a package to be delivered in this country.

Works great with my D40.

The lens itself looks the business. Its quite big but has the feel of quality. I'm reasonably new to digital photography but was impressed with the images. The motor is not that loud, i can't see what all the fuss is about. it focuses so quickly its hardly noticeable.

For me the lens is a great price, takes good images, looks good. Reckon it will last a good while.