Size: Window FeederChange

on 4 February 2010
I was very impressed with the quality of this bird feeder. I'd previously bought an RSPB window feeder which really wasn't up to much - the suckers didn't grip very well and it felt very flimsy. By comparison, the Meripac feeder is made from a thicker plastic which has withstood the recent freezing temperatures very well. It attaches with two suckers which have excellent grip, plus you can use the piece of string provided to ensure the bottom section doesn't drop to the floor when you are changing the food over (I find this very useful as I live in a first-floor flat and magpies sometimes knock the tray off trying to get hold of the fat balls). The string loops through the top and bottom sections and you pull it through the window before you close it. There is a little compartment inside the main tray for water or a different type of seed, and the two fat ball holders fit small fat balls very well.

The best bit about this feeder though is that the birds seem to love it - more so than the RSPB feeder which probably wobbles too much. At £10 this feeder is also £5 cheaper than the RSPB version. I'm definitely going to invest in a couple more, and will probably pass a few on as gifts. An excellent product, highly recommended!
0Comment54 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2010
Try putting an old apple on one of the fatball holders for the blackbirds and nyjer seeds in the water holder to attract the goldfinches. This is such an incredible present for anybody. I got it for christmas and you can put it anywhere. I put it on my bedroom window but because it is on the first floor I don't get as many customers as I do in my garden which is lower down, however I have one blue tit and one great tit and one robin that visit regularly. It is so nice to wake up to a dulled tapping at the window and open your curtain to the birds, it's given me a reason to have breakfast in bed! The suckers are really hardy and mine hasn't come off yet, however if it does fall down there is a safety line to stop it from crashing to the ground. This has been a devastating winter for the bird population and it really is good to do whatever you can for them, and it's also great if you can get a little enjoyment out of it.
11 comment69 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2011
This is a fantastic little present for any bird lover. Blue tits are by far the most common bird to see on my window feeder and up close... they are stunning :) Way better to see when standing a foot away from the window than in photos or on TV. Although the birds were shy at first and took a while to come, they eventually became bold, I even whipped open my curtains one morning and suprised a Blue Tit which fluttered in the air for a moment, then carried on eating with me looking right out the window at it. I still can't figure out how much they can see through the window, obviously just a small amount of movement.

I would recommend purchasing this feeder with the bird ball holders rather than the simpler seed feeder. The bird balls are by far the favourites. It is suprisingly small, but then again, it doesn't really need to be that big and it doesn't block the view if put in a corner of the window. The suction holders seem particularly good. Mine has lasted 4 months through some pretty tough weather.
on 22 December 2008
Great little gift, I bought this for my mum as a pressie from her grandson, they love to sit in the kitchen together and watch the birds come right up to the window to eat, not too large so doesnt spoil the view out fo the window. The fat balls are a guaranteed winner

Might have to get one for myself
11 comment47 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2009
Having to share a communal garden i thought this worth a try,attracting birds to any garden is not an over night thing so please be patient ! I have to say though after only 3 months of use it WORKS & it's very easy to clean because the bottom comes away leaving the rest fixed to the window....... Yes i would highly recommend this for elderly or disabled people & for people with little or no garden
0Comment35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2012
I bought this as I live in an estate and have no garden. I'd heard birds all around and one day saw a blue tit perch on my balcony. That sealed the deal and this was ordered the next day. It's easy to put together and so far has stuck tight. It fell off once, early on - but I think that was due to a pigeon. Living two floors up, I have tied the string provided through the holes that the suckers go through and trapped the spare length through the top window. It took a couple of weeks to get noticed, but a fledgling blue tit is my regular visitor. No other birds, just this one - but it is delightful, especially if I get a telling off from the bird for sitting at my desk and watching it.
I am also looking at further different window feeders. If it carries on like this, I'm not going to be able to see out!
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2015
Nicely made little product that the birds seem to like using. Easy to see through and enjoy the birds. Top cover stops rain dampening food, and tray will contain quite a lot of seed. Well worth the money. I found the full container was easily attached to the window on my first attempt, and has stayed there for over a month so far. Good value for money and ideal for bird-watching at close range.
review image
on 4 July 2012
I live in Scotland and this took some beating with the weather here and still lasted fanstastically. I bought one for my mother in law too and she loves it. Ours broke though after two pigeons sat on it and knocked it off the window. It was still hanging by the string but it can't really take the weight of big birds. It is lovely though.
on 16 December 2010
For less than ten pounds this is a good little feeder. I use a fair amount of feeders and this is one of the cheapest I ever bought. I have to note that it is more attractive to a broader range of birds than nearly any other type I have used.

After seeing some of the reviews on here I kept my eye on it, and I found I had birds deciding to use this one after only 21 hours. Now after a week or two there are birds on it at least every minute or so during their feeding spells.

Lick your finger and use that to moisten the suckers and it's just not going anywhere, it'll stay put, and that was the case when loaded on one occasion with a starling and on another occasion with a greater spotted woodpecker which find this attractive - no accounting for the sense of some birds as it's a tight fit for those two lunatics on this great little feeder. It's well made, and simple to assemble.

I also noted a few new species (Siskin) have arrived and a few old favourites (Robin, Greenfinch & Chaffinch) have returned since using this feeder.

I intend to purchase more of this type provided they stay below ten pounds. I'm wanting to replace a number of "CJ" feeders with them, as getting the spare parts is becoming a frustrating and increasing problem with my CJs these days sadly.
on 24 May 2015
This is an excellent little window feeder. I deliberately went for a small feeder as I didn't want to encourage any of the pigeons and doves which frequent the area my house is in (mostly small commercial buildings and car parks).

I knew it might take a long wait before any of the smaller birds (which I can hear twittering in the trees and shrubs 50-100 feet away) noticed the feeder, and came to investigate. In the hope of speeding that up, after a week of seeing no signs of any birds noticing the feeder, I bought an artificial sprig of berries and (having ensured the berries were firmly attached and not easy to remove) wedged it between the feeder and the window glass - like a bird "Cafe open" sign.

Within 24 hours, I had my first (and so far only) visitor. I was a bit taken aback though - it was a magpie! I would have thought it would be too big for the feeder, but they're resourceful and intelligent, and this bird has managed it. He/she now visits several times each morning and evening, and yesterday, even brought a friend along. The remarkable thing is, the suckers show no signs of losing their grip on the window - the feeder is still very firmly attached, which is impressive, given the size of the visitor! (I've attached a photo - abysmal quality I know, but it was taken in a hurry from the far side of the room.)

No feeder can magic up birds where there aren't any, or speed up the process of attracting their attention if they don't usually come very close, but if and when one or more feathered friends do decide to visit, this feeder fits the bill admirably!
review image