5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and ground-breaking
Artists generally hate having their work buttonholed into media invented genres. Portishead hated the term "trip-hop" for the ground-breaking debut Dummy. So hear comes Benga, music press appointed flag -bearer for what is being referred to as "Dub-step." Call it what you like - it's brilliant.
The beats sound as clear as a whistle - structured and methodical,...
Published on 7 April 2008 by David Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for what it is
I'm quite a big fan of electronic music and dub, but 2-step is not something I can shake hands with, so dubstep seems a good half way point.

The Dizzee Rascal comparison is somewhat correct in that there are some nice dark bits of music, however without lyrics - this is all instrumental - it seems like something is missing as the music is rather simplistic and...
Published on 28 Mar. 2008 by Mo

4.0 out of 5 stars Dance music, 2 April 2008
Stephen Hampshire (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's face it, this is never going to be the kind of music that you're going to sit and really listen to with your full attention. Try that and it will rapidly become very boring.

Take it for what it is - music to dance/chill out to and this is a really good album. Nice laid back beats combine well with some interesting (occasionally odd) synth melody lines very effectively.

I don't really know anything about dubstep, but I'll have to find out more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different...but not astounding, 13 April 2008
M. R. Jones (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first I really enjoyed this CD. It was catchy and heavy and got me moving. But after about four tracks...well....repetitive comes to mind.
I started feeling as if I was listening to the same songs over and over, but at a different tempo.
Still more than worth a listen, but it didn't keep it's hold on me after the first few tracks. Shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of this as dubstep..., 5 April 2008
J. Cox "jez" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
Please - people who are listening to dubstep for the first time should not be allowed to rate this, it is and never has been a genre of music that people can walk into and appreciate for the first time. It requires listening to various albums and then going to a night (preferably Exodus in Leeds) to experience the vibe and atmosphere that surrounds the people that genuinely love this music.

This album is genius, the production and musical soul and depth of the tracks is unique, and the talent behind this is unquestionable.

As a true music lover I download all my music, though this one I felt deserved a buy - and I would be happy to pay the £10 every-time if I was guaranteed something this good...

4.0 out of 5 stars Lazing, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
This Is A very Relaxing album. Not like the rasping dub-step of now. It is a good album but don't expect really heavy bass. Saying that there is some beautiful trance like bass lines. Love the black casing of the album. Overall the album is very well constructed and the levels are spot on its just lacking a little something to make it a five star album

5.0 out of 5 stars Production is exquisite!! It caters for all!!, 13 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
I'm an average raver; always on the lookout for something new and motivating. Been to a few Dubstep events, and yes, I was taken in by the spell the bass casts as you walk in through the door (sometimes garage door if you like the squat/underground rave) and yes, I eventually learnt how to skank. ;-)

All I needed now was to be able to skank at home, I waited and waited, hit dubstep forum every day for the latest rumour of an early release.

And finally........(like spurs winning a trophy)

My anticipation was over, Benga has returned, the electro wizard delivers 14 tracks of menacing bass, synths and drums. People classify Benga as Dubstep; in my opinion he offers more than Dubstep, he offers Bengaism (when you cant classify something just ism it). Each track is laced full of mesmorising bass, intense drum patterns and soulful melodys. This album would have even the most sophisticated ravers skanking!!

My conclusion: Album for all.

My only criticism is Benga deciding 14 tracks were enough for the masses, scrooge or my greed, you decide?

Enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very well produced but no melody... not my cup of tea., 18 May 2008
David Calcano (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Disclaimer: Let me say first that this is my first record on this type of music, and probably one of the very few in the future.

I guess when I ordered this I wanted to experiment with electronic music given the rave reviews, also I absolutely love Moby because he mixes melody & beat so well!... that probably does not mean anything to electronic music fans because moby's music is a bit mainstream, but this record is a very different game.
Everything is about the beat and I'm all about melody... and sorry, but there's no melody here, I can't imagine myself other than shouting a club listening to this album.

Being completely objective I think it is well produced, and has a very big sound... which is ultimately what drive people nuts at clubs, I believe this record has songs that work brilliantly in that environment.

I might change my mind but at this point this is not my cup of tea, but, I need to be objective as a reviewer and as I said the record is very well produced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice packaging..., 9 April 2008
Adamski (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging draws you in, a nice black cd and black case which provide promise. However, the music should really be in a DJ's pocket as this is not for playing at home. It's club music. Slipping the odd track into a setlist would be good but playing the whole thing at home is just too repetitive. It's not chillout music, it's an album of club music and thus I can't give it more than 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Future Music, 25 Mar. 2008
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Benga is an interesting artist, who, before today I'd never heard of. When I read the synopsis for this CD, I was quite interested in his dub style, his influences and the style of music he was making.

So when listening to Diary Of An Afro Warrior, I was quite surprised by the way he'd crafted dub to suit many sub-genres. My favourite track so far has to be Crunked Up, with it's edgy sci-fi sound, suitable for a new science fiction movie.

The majority of the album is spatial sound scape wise, and futuristic vocals, but the majority is minimal and very bass driven. If you like Tino Maas you're going to love this.

I'm not sure it'll suit everyone though, it's dark and sometimes rather surprising.

Still, this is up there with Leftism for a début, very good start!

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts brightly but then...., 26 Mar. 2008
Mr. S. O'kane "snagii" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's be clear on this: 'Diary of An Afro Warrior' is a club album and reviewing this becomes a little bit tricky. These are tracks destined to be cranked loud from bass bins in some pit somewhere in London. Playing this through the tiny speakers on my PC at home perhaps just doesn't do it justice but I gave it a shot anyway.

The album's opening three tracks do have tremendous promise - 'Zero M2', 'Night' & 'B4 The Dual' - and have shades of 70s fusion jazz, classic dub, drum & bass and sountrack music. Even 'Someone 20' shows more evidence of crate digging as its intro sounds a little like the 'Super' experiments of Krautrock band Neu! from the mid 70s. Sadly despite this bright start the album starts to sag midway through and at 64 minutes one wonders if the chaff of the album ('Crunked Up', 'Pleasure' and 'Go Tell Them' for example) could have made way for a shorter, more efficent set overall.

One other thing that does go in its favour for me (though will annoy those who file their albums away on their spine) is the artwork. The solid black CD case and the minimmal cardboard slip that makes up the cover of the album is a fantastic well thought-out design concept. Now of course they say you can't judge a book by its cover but I still like the design, despite my opinions on the music.

So, I'm not in a club and this isn't deafening me from 50 yards but here & now at home, this sounds like a decent album. Perhaps I need to head down to that pit and get the real deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazz for the modern age, 3 April 2008
Tramps like us "Guitar bass and drums" (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of electronic music and having bought and loved the Burial album I thought I would try this. I was a bit disappointed in the fact that there's little melody or hooks on this.To these ears it sounded very experimental and fell between two stools - it wasn't catchy enough to be upbeat dance music and yet it was too "disturbing" to be "chill out" music. What it sounded like more than anything else was a cross between modern jazz and electronic dance music - on some tracks there is a definite sense of the beats playing against rather than with each other.It's far from being a bad album - there's enough on here to satisfy most people but I think Benga needs to sit down and decide what he really wants to be known for - whether it be thumping dance music or chill out music. However having said all this I realise that I am not the target audience for this so . . .

Diary of An Afro Warrior
Diary of An Afro Warrior by Benga (Audio CD - 2008)