5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and ground-breaking
Artists generally hate having their work buttonholed into media invented genres. Portishead hated the term "trip-hop" for the ground-breaking debut Dummy. So hear comes Benga, music press appointed flag -bearer for what is being referred to as "Dub-step." Call it what you like - it's brilliant.
The beats sound as clear as a whistle - structured and methodical,...
Published on 7 April 2008 by David Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Different...but not astounding
At first I really enjoyed this CD. It was catchy and heavy and got me moving. But after about four tracks...well....repetitive comes to mind.
I started feeling as if I was listening to the same songs over and over, but at a different tempo.
Still more than worth a listen, but it didn't keep it's hold on me after the first few tracks. Shame.
Published on 13 April 2008 by M. R. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and ground-breaking, 7 April 2008
David Johnson "El Burrito" (Buenos Aires) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The beats sound as clear as a whistle - structured and methodical, German sounding in precision and execution. But there is variety - like the soft intro on B4 the duel. Devastating rapier-like drums and crunchy base come in behind. It all adds up to a very interesting listen. Yes it's urban - tracks like Night and 26 basslines were made for the dance floor, but this record isn't at all cavalier. It wanders off in places you never expected to go - Someone 20 drifts you off into space, down a tunnel, marrying you into a celestial sound-scape. The effects across the record are so clever and original - is that a hand-clap on Crunked UP? Another favourite of mine is the neurotic, skipping beat of Emotions.
Should bring "Dub Step" out of the underground and to the masses.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 3 Oct 2008
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
love this album. have it on repeat loads. zero m2, the first track is amazing a stand out for me. buy this if you love dubstep/bass its gotta be a must have

4.0 out of 5 stars A great example of the genre. As far as I know., 10 May 2008
A. Miles (Al Khor, Qatar) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like many people of my age, I've always tended to associate this style of music with the sound that you hear from the open window of a badly customised Peugot 206 being driven by some slack-jawed yokel in a baseball cap round a suburban town centre: It wasn't until the Burial album of last year that I started to take a deeper interest in it.

Whilst my dancing days are long past, I can appreciate a good album when I hear one. 'Diary' immaculately crafted and executed, with precision dancebeats textured with squelchy early 90s rave synth, spoken word and brass samples. It sounds especially good in a car at night. It doesn't have the crossover appeal of the Burial album - lacking that album's air of early morning melancholy that made it appeal to elderly punters like myself - but any real music lover will find this a rewarding listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listenable and Danceable!, 4 April 2008
Alan Moore "evilcat" - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first I've heard of the genre they call 'dubstep.' I really had no idea what to expect. This album mixes the slower, Moving Shadow style of drum and bass, the Miami/Baltimore bass scene, and minimalist techno such as Plastikman/Richie Hawtin, into a new, yet not entirely unfamiliar, style.

At low volume, this disc is really quite ambient. At higher volumes, it's eminently danceable. Benga is an extremely talented producer, making the music appear skeletal on first listen, yet revealing hidden details on repeat.

The tempo remains around 140bpm the whole way through (the rate of the human heartbeat) and makes the music both exhilarating and relaxing simultaneously, as it remains in sync with your body as you listen.

An excellent album which sounds great at high volume in a car, and also makes a good background to work to. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves more credit, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
Few years ago i was sitting round a mates house when he started busting this out of the blue........instantly i liked it even though i hadn't really heard of dubstep that much.
So brought the album and it became one of my favorite of all time......once i'd rinsed it to death i began the search for more dubstep but in my mind nearly everyone elses version of dubstep seemed to be brainless tack for teenagers. Loads of danny dyer dialogue in the back ground and other rubbish ideas.............3 years later and dubsteps really starting to dominate the charts but not one of these so called producers has got the subtlety or class that benga has. Ok there's been a few stand out songs and i like skreams 1st album but thats about it.........if your only real experience of dubstep happens to be what your hearing in the charts at the moment dont let that put you off coz trust me this guy makes them look like the amateur producers they really are.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good!, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Diary of An Afro Warrior (Audio CD)
I came to this album with little interest, or exposure to Dubstep, although I knew the sound. This sounds a bit more raw than what I was expecting - as some have pointed out, good material to be mixed at a club. But I find this good music for home actually - it's minimal and interesting, but not much melody. Suits me perfect when I want to chill - but not be sent to sleep. I dislike 'chill out music' in general, so I'm weary of associating it with that. I just mean it's not going to dominate your ears with a catchy melody. This album is about the good beats. It's got nice sparse production though you definitely need to have a volume up and a good stereo to really appreciate that. And at times I wanted more oomph.

I like the album as a whole, as opposed to the individual tracks - the notable exception being 'Pleasure' which is a CHOOOON! I get why a person might see it as a bit dull, or samey. I think that's something to be overcome through further listening. And of course, maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea. As I say, I'm not a massive dubstep fan, nor do I need Dub to breathe. I'm not an expert in this genre at all - but I like pretty much all styles of music where quality is evident. This is a good album in my book. It doesn't rock my world though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dubstep gets its breakthrough sound, 18 April 2008
Mr. G. Carroll (LDN | HKG | SZX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a great fan of dubstep, but occassionally you get artists who climb above the limitations of their genre to take their sound to a wider audience like Roni Size for drum and bass, Benga is such an artist.

The opening track on Diary of an Afro Warrior Zero M2 sounds feels like AIR doing a detroit-style techno track and others reminded me of artist such as Sabres of Paradise, Autchre, LFO and Juan Atkins. In common with most electronic albums it doesn't have a unifying concept, but somehow all the tracks work together with some dark but yet not sinister vibes.

I am not going to say that this is the best album in the world ever, but I am glad I left my musical prejudices and pressed play.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must..., 13 April 2008
M. Price (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This album is great to unwind too, I have bought albums of similar styles before (as well as had frrebies from a friend that produced similar music before too), this stands out above the rest without shadow of a doubt.

I had some interesting looks whilst purchasing a Bose Sounddock and playing a few tunes of this album to test the tonal range the unit produced. Great album to test equipment out :0)

Admitedly an album that is of more specialist taste than your average customer will buy but I would recomend this to anyone that has never really been into the dubstep genre to try this as their first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different...but not astounding, 13 April 2008
M. R. Jones (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Dance music, 2 April 2008
Stephen Hampshire (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's face it, this is never going to be the kind of music that you're going to sit and really listen to with your full attention. Try that and it will rapidly become very boring.

Take it for what it is - music to dance/chill out to and this is a really good album. Nice laid back beats combine well with some interesting (occasionally odd) synth melody lines very effectively.

I don't really know anything about dubstep, but I'll have to find out more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Diary of An Afro Warrior
Diary of An Afro Warrior by Benga (Audio CD - 2008)