‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant & Long Overdue Comeback, 26 Mar 2008
G Griffiths "G" (Shrewsbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
well, i've held my breath for 16 years, and finally here is the new B52s album... it's been on constant rotation since i got my grubby mitts on a copy last week, and i have to say, it is completely brilliant!!!

knowing nods to their '70's roots, their early 90's heyday, and to the future B52's... from opening electro-rock out 'Pump' (any album that opens with the line ''i look at you, and i'm ready to pump, luminous heart throb, ready to jump'' is a winner in my book!!! to the closing chant of 'Keep This Party Going' (and you know they mean it), it's a superb piece of work.

I especially love the ethereal Juliet Of Spirits (excellent multi layered guitars and harmonies from Kate & Cindy), the throbbing, industrial tinged anthem Love In The Year 3000, a chant about London buses on rocky 'Hot Corner' that will lodge in your brain and never leave, the inspired 'Ultraviolet', and the strangely obtuse but beautiful Eyes Wide Open.

After the musical behemoth that was 'Love Shack', and the massive selling 'Cosmic Thing' album, it is easy to disregard the B52's as novelty. There is however a good reason they're still churning out the non stop party albums after 30 years, and this is a brave, intelligent and inspired collection of tip top songs that has me throwing back the roof on my convertible and waiting for the summer to come!!!

A non stop electro rock out for pop fans the world over...

how did we manage without you for so long? Welcome Back B52's - we've missed you loads x

5.0 out of 5 stars Just CLASS!, 22 Mar 2008
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
After such a long wait (including false release dates....) they're back!!! There are some belters here - not sure how main stream will take these tho? So many others have tried to "sound" like the B's (Scissor Sisters, Mika - all great) but they have outdone themselves. This is classic B's with an ultra modern twist. This will be a huge club hit, especially with the remixes :-)
Look out for "Eyes Wide Open" and "Love in the Year 2000"
Well worth the wait!

Trickiedickiedido

5.0 out of 5 stars They really have done it again!, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
I've been a fan for longer than I can remember. I first heard 'Rock Lobster' in the bar of the Scala cinema in London when I was probably too young to be there! The next time I remember hearing them was in HMV Oxford Street sometime in the 80's. The song playing that day was 'Girl from Ipanema goes to Greenland'. I didn't know who it was by at the time, but when I found out and listened to the rest of that album (Bouncing off the Satellites)I was completely hooked.
In my opinion, they haven't really made a duff record (maybe one or two naff tracks, but that's about it). Consistent, original, great melodies, out-there lyrics and have worked with some of the best producers of all time. The B-52's have influenced so many bands over the years and continue to do so.
Yes, you can probably tell I like them but even if you've only heard 'Rock Lobster', 'Love Shack' (that great wedding disco classic) or 'Roam', do yourself a favour and get this record because I think you'll like them too.
This is a true classic and worth the wait. I truly hope there will be many more B-52's records in the future because the world needs more of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars World's greatest Party Band Returns......, 6 Mar 2008
J. Bilby "littlebibs" (Kingston, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
I've had the pleasure of listening to this over the past week and I
am so impressed by this, start to finish, you can't help but smile inside-
out. I have listened to the Bs music since the late 70's so when something this fresh comes out after such a long time between albums you're ears naturally perk up. "PUMP" starts this party off and from there
one song after the other this band just comes alive and throws down the beats
and attitude, this is their best collection since they first cut the rug and
yelled for us all to get down, down, down with Rock Lobster. You have to start
with Keith Stickland for his genius and raw energy and taken the time to get this sound right. His guitar is so
awesome, simple but creative and sets the stage for Fred, Kate and Cindy to invade these tunes
and make them all so vibrant and danceable. Steve Osborne and crew give
these tunes a modern electronic edge that move the B's into the 21st century. My favorites on this new collection(like every one!!), "HOT CORNER", "DANCING NOW", "FUNPLEX",
"LOVE IN YEAR 3000", "PUMP" and the absoulte killer "Juliet of the Spirits"
is worth the price of admission. Taken these songs out on the road will
be a party to remember. Radio has been so stale since we last heard a
proper B-52s collection. I'm hoping radio programmers give this masterpiece of dance rock heaven RADIO PLAY!!! Its been along while and
The B-52s are back and ready to roll. Everyone involved in this project is pumped and gives their best efforts, its the BEST COMEBACK OF THE YEAR, try the Century! Long live the B-52s, Rock Gods!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Party On!, 23 Mar 2008
Philip Chandler (UK, Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
When I heard there was a new album coming out my first thought was, "I hope they don't spoil their legend with this..."

This had the potential to be embarrassingly awful. How fabulous then to hear such an unbelievably great album. Full to busting with top top tunes and unsurpassed energy. Just buy it. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right up there with their best .......... ( welcome back Cindy ), 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong I think Kate Pierson is amazing (anyone who has seen the band live will know what I mean), but there's something really special when the both girls sing together, so it's great to have Cindy Wilson back.
Many reviewers have commented on the long wait for this new material, but if it has taken until now for their focus and enthusiasm to be right we should admire that because they have produced a piece of party dynamite here (too many bands "fill in" career gaps or slap out some cover version album just to fulfil some contractual requirements). Contains some instant classics like "Juliet of the Spirits", "Deviant Ingredient" etc.
If you're an old fan, contemplating if you should buy it, and wondering if they have lost it after all these years - don't worry, they havn't, just buy it - you will not be dissapointed (and I mean the whole thing end to end, no duff tracks in sight)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance Godammit!!!, 31 May 2008
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
OH YES!!!!!! They're back!!!!!
Been loving these guys since I heard 6060-842 on David Jensen's evening show circa '79, and it's been a long wait since Good Stuff for this one to arrive, but worth every minute 'cos this album rates right up there with their finest and it's barely been out of the CD player for the last 3 weeks! Smart, sexy, funny and made for dancing, Funplex has everything we've come to know and luv about 'em, with an extra added electronic edge courtesy of producer Steve Osborne (an inspired choice). Don't be fooled though, the various electronic elements merely serve to propel the music forward rather than draw attention away from it, and while the sound may be a little over-produced for some, the album mix is still clean and crisp and uncluttered, and lets the music come blazing through. The manic energy and crazy sci-fi, surf punk, rock'n'roll roots are all there, and after 30 years they remain the greatest party band in the known universe!
There isn't a dud on the entire album, and if none of the songs makes you wanna dance by the end, then honey, you ain't got no legs! The likes of Pump, Ultraviolet, Too Much To Think About and Keep This Party Going crank up the dance beats; Juliet Of The Spirits features some soaring, euphoric vocals from Cindy n Kate; Love In The Year 3000 is pure electronic sex future shock; Deviant Ingredient is utterly daft and utterly delightful, but my faves are the pulsing, smoldering disco groove of Eyes Wide Open, Funplex itself with it's all-human-life tale of fear'n'loathing at the local mall, and Keep This Party Going, an absolute cracker of a closing track. The manifesto is clear people: Fred's gonna party 'til the end of the world with Keith on guitar and the 52 girls right beside him (DAMN but it's good to hear Kate n Cindy again!). If you already have this album, you know what I'm on about; if you don't have it, WHY NOT!?? Buy a copy, immediately! Party Geeks Rule. Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you would imagine, 1 April 2008
Mark Colgan "Roc" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
I've been a fan since the mid 80's, long before Love Shack, and waited a long time for this release.

I've had it now for a week and have resisted the urge to review it until I really knew it well.

I've been through the intial, 'it's the greatest thing ever', via the 'its not their best work' and have now settled on a verdict:

It is very good! Some songs take a little while, but once you've heard them a few times, this is vintage B-52's, it is very good indeed. Stacks of songs stick in your head and it will have you humming for weeks.

Overall, a great return, and a welcome change from the everyday stuff you hear on the radio.

Totally modern it ain't, but as an update on the traditional B's sound, it really is excellent.

Buy it! Go on, do it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars thank god for the b52's, 14 April 2008
Mr. Richard D. Turner "tud turner" (lidlington, beds, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
still looking great and sounding better
good stuff has always been in one of my cd players ever since it was released - now it has a partner
been a fan since hearing them on peel under my bedcovers
this one works so well - they should be proud
cant wait to see them live again - caught them (just) at lovebox festival last summer (first time in uk for 15 years or so i think) - had tears in my eyes they were so good
hope its not another 16 years to the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of the mighty B52s....., 6 July 2008
This review is from: Funplex (Audio CD)
A most unexpected new release for a band who you might have thought would not be releasing new material collectively again. The good news is that it is a brilliant return to form and does not tarnish their legacy one bit! In fact, there are many bands, young and old, that could learn a lot from this because it has the lot. Excellent songwriting, sublime vocal interplay, brillianly produced.....everything! If you already love the B52s then you should already have this. If you've never paid much attention to them, I suggest you start paying attention. I'm a rock fan at heart and this album really rocks but its much more as well. Trust me on this one!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Funplex
Funplex by B-52's (Audio CD - 2008)