Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 March 2008
Lucky to have stumbled upon Gabriella when i took my daughter to see the Sugababes recently. She just blew me away with a fantastic live performance and the album is no disappointment with a mixture of great "rock chick" songs and songs Amy Winehouse would be proud of,and all at the age of 16,unbeleivable.
This girl should be a big star soon and quite frankly she deserves everything that comes her way.
So if your thinking about buying this album just go for it,you will not be disapointed.
on 18 April 2008
Amazing! This deserves to be one of the biggest selling albums of 2008. This CD makes you grin. It blazes like your own personal chunk of sunshine. From the instantly likeable `Sweet About Me' through a whole range of brilliantly produced gotta-be-hits, `Lessons To Be Learned' is almost entirely brilliant.

With lyrics that range from catchy-cute to curiously comical ("There's a caterpillar in my soul"!), performed by that engaging, amazing, unique vocal talent, this collection just makes you keep going back - and you can't help but nudge that volume control higher and higher each time...

Personal favourites after first few hearings - `Don't Want To Go To Bed Now' and `Got No Place To Go'. But this is packed full of gems that might take my `favourite' place the more I listen.

Do yourself a favour - get this album - put Gabriella Cilmi on your i-pod - then lie back all summer with the volume full blast and put a caterpillar in your soul!
on 1 April 2008
Too be perfectly honest, if this girl does not get acclaim real soon it'll be proof that the Music industry is truly fixed!!!! Seriously this is a very good album. A terrific voice bounces out of some very admirable music rifts. Not seen her live yet, but would think she has got something new to offer a somewhat drab pop rock industry at the moment IMO! Only 16 hmmmm doesn't seem possible but so what, the girl can sing and should be top dollar!! Do yourselves a favour and just buy the album, you won't regret it. There are some very catchy tunes inside!!
on 30 May 2008
Yet again, another songtress bringing back soul into their music and if im honest its not do as effectively on this album has it has on others (amy winehouse, duffy) but apart from this, i do like this album and i like the crossover effects of her songs and they work so well.

not my favourite album this year from this kind of artist but definately worth a mention as there is some good songs on the album.

stand out tracks =

sweet about me
sanctuary
awkward game
cigarettes and lies
on 17 January 2009
This is my first comment on Amazon reviewing an album and I cant believe how much pretentious garbage people are willing to say about a CD!!

It's a "pop" album from a very talented newcomer. What do people expect ?
This album is full of catchy happy songs ! What is wrong with that ?
I seriously think that some of these "reviewers" need to chill out a bit more and enjoy life !!

Get it ..its great !!

ENJOY !!
on 20 March 2008
I was fortunate enough to be given a 6 track sampler EP (work in radio in Australia) and this album will be huge, she is brilliant, great song writing, catchy tracks, cannot wait to hear the finished product and can't believe she is only 16. Anyway this girl deserves any and all success that comes her way, haven't been this excited about a new artist since I don't remember, all hail Gabriella hehe.
on 31 December 2008
I originally brought the first version of "Lessons to be Learnt" (with the green cover) and absolutely loved it. This version was later released and had an extra 5 tracks to the original. I decided to get it and give the original one to my parents. Was it worth it? In short, yes it was. The acoustic version of "Sweet About Me" is fantastic, as it her acoustic cover of Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River". "Warm This Winter" is a feel good Christmas track, which I reckon we'll be hearing more of that time of year for many years to come. Her cover of "Echo Beach" is another awesome song, so together with the phoenominal tracks from before, this is truely a fantastic album. I just wonder whether she would have been better off putting some of those tracks on a 2nd album. However if she can produce material like this, then I have every confidence that her 2nd album will also be excellent and well worth the wait. For me, Gabriella Cilmi is one of the best break through artists of 2008. I have seen her live and despite being only 17, her vocal talent is amazing. In my opinion she is every bit as good as, if not better than Duffy. In addition with her gorgeous looks, she has the complete package to go on and achieve great things in the music industry. I'm already looking forward to her next album....
I first saw Gabriella on 'Later with Jools Holland' and I was very impressed. I bought the album and I am still very impressed. An excellent debut album. The songs are easy to listen to, sung well and the production is spot on. I look forward to hearing more from her in the future.
on 7 April 2008
well i only needed to hear sweet about me, gabriella"s debut single to realise that this really is a star in the making.most of the tracks are made up of lyrics which really do not make much sense, talking about caterpillars and most other things which do not make sense. this really does not matter though, as her songs will soon be ringing in your ears, and you will most probably be singing them in the car.when i first played the album i have to say i thought it was rubbish, but as with most music you really need to play it a few times, and i rate it now as one of the best buys i have made for a while now.her voice is so infectious, and different from most vocal singers, she stands out in a class which will give me and most other people 10 out of ten. please go to the top of the class.
on 26 July 2008
Watch this space... this girl's voice is so versatile, dynamic and mature, she sounds like a seasoned pro, it's hard to believe she's only 16 ! Superbly arranged collection of songs backed up with a great band (the drummer deserves a particular mention). This disk has never been off my CD player since I bought it. Well done to Radio 2 for choosing it as an 'album of the week'. Track highlights include 'Got no place to go' , 'Einstein' (with deference to a very 'Pink Floyd' intro!), and 'Save the lies', although there isn't really a poor track in sight. Good on yer Gabriella, the sky's the limit.