Published on 19 Oct 2008 by Stevie P

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed
I think there's a review which highlights a problem with lack of bass (both in absolute terms and relative to the original vinyl). Well, I should have taken heed, because the lack of bass is asonishing, and makes these CDs unlistenable to (in my view).

So, what on the face of it seemed like really good value for money is actually a waste of money...
Published on 17 May 2011 by Engineer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money - bonus disc appears to have been largely fixed, 19 Oct 2008
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
Listening to the original cassette version of this album used to be a guilty pleasure of mine, so I was looking forward to this reissue which includes all the bonus tracks from that cassette. However, after hearing about issues with the bonus disc, I thought I'd hold off and see whether Edsel were going to fix it. Six months later, after reading that the disc had been repressed, I thought I'd go ahead and order.

Now I'm pretty sure I've got the fixed pressing of the bonus disc, as I've not noticed any glitches at the start of the "Machines Take Over" track and apart from a couple of suspiciously vinyl-like loud pops much later in the track, it's fine. The rest of the tracks sound just fine to my ears, so I'm perfectly happy with this reissue.

So, I'm giving it 4 out of 5, not because of any sound quality issues, but because that's what I would have given it in the first place. I love the album, but it would be wrong to call it a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a charming friend..., 21 April 2009
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
For me, this is the 80's benchmark. It's one of the first albums I bought.

The new Edsel release contains a disc of remixes approximating the bonus mixes you got with the cassette release in '84. Much has been made of the lack of quality of the remastering on the Edsel re-release. That is all worth pointing out, but I'm not here to split hairs.

'Into The Gap', for me, is timeless. Every track is a standout... but, even after 25 years of living with this album, it gets played in its entirety quite regularly, moreso as the years go on...

The album's packaging, back in the day, was overwhelmingly blue... and that's how I still see it. A deep blue Bahamas day. It was recorded at the legendary Compass Point studios in Nassau, and I think you can hear the surrounding natural beauty coming through, translated, via the synths of Tom, Alannah and Joe. In that regard, I think it's true art.

Standout track for me (and we really are splitting hairs now) is 'Storm On The Sea'; I have grown to love this song over the years. The singles are all amazing. An over-used word in my reviews is 'sublime', but it applies here in spades.

It's all wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, but hold on..., 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
This is a superb double CD collection of the Thompson Twins 'Into The Gap' album featuring all of the excellent remixes and B-sides that were released at the same time... However, there does appear to be a noise problem on CD2, Track 3 'You Take Me Up (Machines Take Over)' - There is some severe distortion, pops and clicking during the first minute or so on the right channel, particularly with the drums (and to a lesser degree throughout the song) - Has anyone else noticed this?

I have the original 12" vinyl single and there is no problem with that - So, I assumed that I either had a bad pressing of the CD or it is a problem with the Master CD (I checked the CD on several players and speakers to eliminate the possibility of equipment failure). I mailed Demon-Edsel to ask for their comments and I returned the CD to Amazon for a replacement copy (which was all handled well and without problems) to see if that was the issue, it wasn't - The replacement CD has exactly the same problem so it seems unlikely it is a 'bad batch' issue.

I got a reply from Demon-Edsel saying they had not heard of any issues with this release and to contact them again if the replacement was also wrong - I did this and have now received a reply stating "We have identified a problem with this disc and will get back to you". Good to hear that they are doing their best to sort this issue. I will update this review when I hear from Demon-Edsel again.

Suffice to say as it stands, one bad track does not spoil an otherwise excellent collection but it does seem odd that this track slipped through quality control to such a degree when the rest of the album and the 'Quick Step & Side Kick' CDs are uniformly excellent quality releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their last great pop album - in all it's extended glory, 8 Jun 2008
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
Having purchased the 2008 reissue of Quickstep & Sidekick (which I happen to prefer as it still has some darker stuff on it) and been very impressed with the mastering/compilation (unfortunately the hinges on the case are not so good, snapped second time of opening...), plumped for Gap at long last. It was good to hear the album tracks again as there are so many compilations including the hits, often the 12" versions too. This reissue has similar, but still very nicely put-together, liner notes as Quickstep, along with all the versions/mixes you could hope for - well, nearly! "The Gap" US 12" mix is absent here, maybe because it was sort of a promo only release, but if you need it then search out the Greatest Remixes album (which isn't remastered, but sounds ok). Inclusions of the original Cassette tracks, including the excellent "Leopard Ray" instrumental, and the b-sides such as "Passion Planet" on disc 2 make this essential, even if you aren't keen on the extended versions. "You Take Me Up" appears in all it's forms here, including the limted 12" b-side instrumental. All in all a great compilation to 'complete' the original album, and generally great sound throughout (bar slight issues with CD2 track 3, "You Take Me Up (Machines Take Me Over)"!). Buy it and reminisce! For info the Kevorkian tweaked 'High Plains Mixer' of "You Take Me Up" also appeared (untitled) on Greatest Mixes, so maybe not quite as difficult for the label to find as the sleeve-notes seem to imply!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I heard one of the remix tracks whilst at an 80's party and the memory of owning the `cassette mix' drove me to find it again. I had no idea that this had been released as a deluxe CD, so when it arrived it was a great trip down memory lane. I already had the album but was after all those remixes that only came out on the cassette. It is a great double CD with some fantastic remixes - long gone are the days when the 12" remix was king and you actually got a 6 to 10 minute version of the actual track and not remixed to death so the original is nowhere to be found like today.

A must have for fans, and even those who'd like a trip down that road we call the extended remix.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased I've found this again, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I had the original cassette of this album back in the 1980s. I played it over and over until it would play no more. I tried for a number of years to get a replacement but was unable to. I've just placed an order to buy this CD for my collection and I am excited at the anticipation of hearing these tunes again. I don't have a lot of patience so you can be sure I'll be ripping the packaging off as soon as I receive my amazon parcel. Favourite songs of mine have to be 'Hold me now', 'Doctor Doctor', 'You take me up' and 'Into the Gap'. This album stands the test of time and if you are an 80s music lover you'll like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It..........., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I recently purchased the Thompson Twins CD Into The Gap.... i must say it has been one of my choices of CD, i bought the original LP when it first came out. I played it not stop and loved it, as the years have gone by i have not played the LP as the old stylus is not as good as it was!!!!!!!!. Now i just pop it into my CD player, whap up the volume and it takes me back .... thanks Amazon....

5.0 out of 5 stars Synthesizer symphony!, 22 Feb 2008
Edward Hough (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for years for the UK (re)release of this classic album from 1984. In this package you get the complete album (disc 1 tr. 1-9) plus all the mixes that appeared on the original cassette issue AND all those 12-inch singles. This means you get extended versions of the 4 UK hit singles (Dr Dr; Hold Me Now; You Take Me Up; Sister of Mercy), and the B-sides, two of which (Let Loving Start and Nurse Shark were based on Hold Me Now and Dr Dr respectively). Some of the 12" mixes are long (Hold Me Now is over 9 mins!) but at last they are all together in one place. You also get the 'megamix' Out of The Gap which revisits all the major hits up to that time and first appeared on the B-side of Sister of Mercy. The track listing on Amazon does not say, but if one of the 3 mixes of You Take Me Up is the 'High Plains Mixer' then this is worth it just for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Now Than Back In 1984!, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
This sounds even better now that it did back in 1984. I bought the cassette back then and it was OK, but nothing special to me apart from Storm On The Sea - which I really liked a lot. But playing it again now, it sounds much much better. Not sure if that's the CD format or my taste in music has changed! Anyway, it's great value for money as you get a full 25 songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bonus tracks are icing on the cake., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I bought this on vinyl when it was first released and instantly loved it. I had a copy of Quickstep etc but this ''The Gap'' was twice as good to me. I had a version like the cd on tape but there are even more bonus tracks on the disc. I never get sick of Hold Me Now and the extende version blows me away even more so!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Into The Gap
Into The Gap by Thompson Twins (Audio CD - 2008)