Published on 19 Oct 2008 by Stevie P

3.0 out of 5 stars Three And Half Stars!
1. Doctor! Doctor! - The keyboard right from the word go is lovely before the lead singer starts singing. I also like the maracara type instruments in the background.
"Doctor, doctor can't you see I'm burning!
Doctor, doctor is this love I'm feeling?!"
The chorus is good. Very brief, but brilliant. The keyboard solo instrumental is very welcome. Like most...
Published 17 months ago by Richie77777

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money - bonus disc appears to have been largely fixed, 19 Oct 2008
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
Listening to the original cassette version of this album used to be a guilty pleasure of mine, so I was looking forward to this reissue which includes all the bonus tracks from that cassette. However, after hearing about issues with the bonus disc, I thought I'd hold off and see whether Edsel were going to fix it. Six months later, after reading that the disc had been repressed, I thought I'd go ahead and order.

Now I'm pretty sure I've got the fixed pressing of the bonus disc, as I've not noticed any glitches at the start of the "Machines Take Over" track and apart from a couple of suspiciously vinyl-like loud pops much later in the track, it's fine. The rest of the tracks sound just fine to my ears, so I'm perfectly happy with this reissue.

So, I'm giving it 4 out of 5, not because of any sound quality issues, but because that's what I would have given it in the first place. I love the album, but it would be wrong to call it a masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, but hold on..., 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
This is a superb double CD collection of the Thompson Twins 'Into The Gap' album featuring all of the excellent remixes and B-sides that were released at the same time... However, there does appear to be a noise problem on CD2, Track 3 'You Take Me Up (Machines Take Over)' - There is some severe distortion, pops and clicking during the first minute or so on the right channel, particularly with the drums (and to a lesser degree throughout the song) - Has anyone else noticed this?

I have the original 12" vinyl single and there is no problem with that - So, I assumed that I either had a bad pressing of the CD or it is a problem with the Master CD (I checked the CD on several players and speakers to eliminate the possibility of equipment failure). I mailed Demon-Edsel to ask for their comments and I returned the CD to Amazon for a replacement copy (which was all handled well and without problems) to see if that was the issue, it wasn't - The replacement CD has exactly the same problem so it seems unlikely it is a 'bad batch' issue.

I got a reply from Demon-Edsel saying they had not heard of any issues with this release and to contact them again if the replacement was also wrong - I did this and have now received a reply stating "We have identified a problem with this disc and will get back to you". Good to hear that they are doing their best to sort this issue. I will update this review when I hear from Demon-Edsel again.

Suffice to say as it stands, one bad track does not spoil an otherwise excellent collection but it does seem odd that this track slipped through quality control to such a degree when the rest of the album and the 'Quick Step & Side Kick' CDs are uniformly excellent quality releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a charming friend..., 21 April 2009
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
For me, this is the 80's benchmark. It's one of the first albums I bought.

The new Edsel release contains a disc of remixes approximating the bonus mixes you got with the cassette release in '84. Much has been made of the lack of quality of the remastering on the Edsel re-release. That is all worth pointing out, but I'm not here to split hairs.

'Into The Gap', for me, is timeless. Every track is a standout... but, even after 25 years of living with this album, it gets played in its entirety quite regularly, moreso as the years go on...

The album's packaging, back in the day, was overwhelmingly blue... and that's how I still see it. A deep blue Bahamas day. It was recorded at the legendary Compass Point studios in Nassau, and I think you can hear the surrounding natural beauty coming through, translated, via the synths of Tom, Alannah and Joe. In that regard, I think it's true art.

Standout track for me (and we really are splitting hairs now) is 'Storm On The Sea'; I have grown to love this song over the years. The singles are all amazing. An over-used word in my reviews is 'sublime', but it applies here in spades.

It's all wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synthesizer symphony!, 22 Feb 2008
Edward Hough (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for years for the UK (re)release of this classic album from 1984. In this package you get the complete album (disc 1 tr. 1-9) plus all the mixes that appeared on the original cassette issue AND all those 12-inch singles. This means you get extended versions of the 4 UK hit singles (Dr Dr; Hold Me Now; You Take Me Up; Sister of Mercy), and the B-sides, two of which (Let Loving Start and Nurse Shark were based on Hold Me Now and Dr Dr respectively). Some of the 12" mixes are long (Hold Me Now is over 9 mins!) but at last they are all together in one place. You also get the 'megamix' Out of The Gap which revisits all the major hits up to that time and first appeared on the B-side of Sister of Mercy. The track listing on Amazon does not say, but if one of the 3 mixes of You Take Me Up is the 'High Plains Mixer' then this is worth it just for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars thompson twins into the gap cd album, 26 Nov 2003
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Gap (Audio CD)
I am a new fan of the Thompson Twins of about three years ago. For me the 'into the gap' album is there best work from there long career. It screams the 1980's electro rock/pop sound with Tom Bailey's brilliant vocals. Allanah adds good backing with Joe leeway adding some high pitched lead in's. All the tracks are classics but 'Sister of mercy' has to be the best here.This issue does not have the mixes of the cassette so i'm marking it down.It would have been 5 stars if it had the extras and a better inner sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last!, 4 Mar 2008
George Stevens (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
Finally after 20 odd years the cassette mixes get onto CD!

Actually I have a confession. I needed the mixes so much I bought a hooky CDR copy from eBay a couple of years ago. But this is so, so, much better!

If you look in the Guinness book of records, you will find that my copy of this cassette spent months solidly in my auto-reverse Walkman.

So what do you get here:
The original album ( 5* on it's own merits)
The legendary b-side to the cassette, with all those mixes you loved.
Plus B-sides and 12" mixes (including Out of the Gap megamix)

And Amazon have put it on at 6.98!!! Buy it now before they notice their mistake!

This is an excellent package, carefully put together with photos of the record sleeves and even the t-shirts from the cassette sleeve. The sleeve notes are good (although unsurprisingly very similar to Quick Step's).

All credit to Demon-Edsel and yah boo sucks to Arista who have never realised what pure pop gold they sat on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bonus tracks are icing on the cake., 29 April 2014
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I bought this on vinyl when it was first released and instantly loved it. I had a copy of Quickstep etc but this ''The Gap'' was twice as good to me. I had a version like the cd on tape but there are even more bonus tracks on the disc. I never get sick of Hold Me Now and the extende version blows me away even more so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Three twins make great music, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
This is the best of the Thompsons a fabulous album to have in your collection of 80's music to make it complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 21 Jan 2014
Mr. Robert Didd (Middlesex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into The Gap (MP3 Download)
I loved this album when it was first released in the 1980s and it still sounds good. I have not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It..........., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Into The Gap (Audio CD)
I recently purchased the Thompson Twins CD Into The Gap.... i must say it has been one of my choices of CD, i bought the original LP when it first came out. I played it not stop and loved it, as the years have gone by i have not played the LP as the old stylus is not as good as it was!!!!!!!!. Now i just pop it into my CD player, whap up the volume and it takes me back .... thanks Amazon....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Into The Gap
Into The Gap by Thompson Twins (Audio CD - 2008)