5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Day, 6 Mar 2008
P. Finnegan "Dark Raven" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
It was my Lucky Day when I received both reissues of Side Kicks and Into The Gap today and overall I have been impressed with the sound and the liner notes are quite extensive. I guarantee listening to this album and mixes again will be a trip down memory lane. It was worth it to have and hear tracks like Love Lies Bleeding. You just have to turn the volume up loud for the drum solo.

The biggest suprise about this deluxe reissue of Quick Step And Side Kick and totally unexpected is the fact that Love On Your Back is a quite radically different version to the one I have always known and have on vinyl. It has some indian sounding instrumentation during the intro and is overdubbed with a lot of various piano riffs throught the track. It also have an added keyboard or percussion sound in the outro. It makes the track sound even more experimental that it already was like Tom was just messing around on the piano. That track alone makes the cd worth getting because it is something new. I would even say that I think Lucky Day 12" ends in an ever so slightly different way. I am discovering new things all the time and that is part of the fun. So go on bring back your teenage years and give this one a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations, it's twins!, 13 Feb 2008
rd edwards "phobos" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
Back in the day, when i was starting high school, The Thompson Twins were my favourite pop group. My prize possessions were the cassette versions of this album and a year or so later, Into The Gap. Having the albums on cassette was a big deal, because they were special extended play editions, which meant that the first side of the cassette played the whole album and the second side contained extended versions & b-sides, which I absolutely loved with a passion. I've held off buying CDs to replace the cassettes as I've been hoping Arista would re-release the albums on CD in their special extended play editions. I didn't hold out much hope for this happening as TT compilation album followed similar compilation album. But blow me down if reissue company EDSEL haven't just gone and given me what i was wishing for, but actually exceeded my hopes with this release. I really am looking forward to hearing this again in decent sound quality, those cassettes are really showing their age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality & comprehensive tracklisting., 8 Mar 2008
C. J. Reilly "i-con" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
Really pleased that I picked this one up. I had the cassette version of this album back when it was first released, which had the remixes on the b-side of the cassette. I enjoyed those b-side tracks as much as the standard album itself and played the cassette so much it snapped! So, it's really fantastic to have all those 'bonus' tracks here (CD1 - tracks 11-16) plus there's a whole swag of single & 12" mixes too on the second disc.

It's worth pointing out that the sound quality of this album is really good too - noticeably better than the reissue a few years ago. I have also picked up a copy of 'Into the Gap' (by the same people who re-issued this) and reccomend that too.

I hope that 'Here's to Future Days' also gets the same treatment - great sound quality, original cassette remixes and a bonus CD of other remixes & b-sides. I would definitely buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvellous Blast from My Past!!, 6 Nov 2008
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
I first saw the Thompson Twins in 1981 or '82 (not really sure now!) after the release of their second album, "Set", and the moderate success of the "In The Name of Love" single, when the stage seemed to be overflowing with musicians. Fast forward to early 1983 (I think) and a free gig in Hitchin for the BBC's 'Live in Concert' (I had the video of the broadcast of that concert for years - and yes, you can see me!!), and that mass of band members had been reduced to just three!! And although I knew their sound was changing I was completely amazed and bowled over by the music they created that evening - songs that I would get to know really well a short while later through "Quick Step & Side Kick".

What a great album, the soundtrack of that year for me - so many great songs, and the added bonus of some marvellous remixes on the cassette version, my favourite always being "Love Lies Fierce" (and I wonder how many people, like me, bought both LP and cassette!). Over the months I built up an even bigger collection with the various different versions on the 12" inch singles. I was always disappointed that previous CDs had ignored many of the remixes, particularly those from the tape, so this 2CD set is a real treat. I probably haven't listened to the Twins for 20 years - and this albums sounds just as fresh to me now as it did all those years ago!!

"Quick Step" was the absolute pinnicle for the Thompson Twins for me, "Into The Gap" was OK but didn't quite cut it. After that I didn't really follow them, I was always interested to hear what they were doing but nothing for me matched those heady, post-Hitchin days!!

4.0 out of 5 stars THE TWINS SECOND BEST ALBUM ., 21 Nov 2006
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
'Quick step Side Kick' from 1983 is without doubt the album that launched the new pared down three piece band Tom bailey , Allanah Currie and Joe Leeway towards brief mega stardom. With the help of Allanah and a new producer the bands size and style was changed almost overnight. From a large go nowhere political fringe funk band to a cartoon style pop sensation. While the rest of the pop groups still clung on to the 'New Romantic' image which by then was fading the Twins set a new dance/synth trend. This is a very happy album and so different from there last 'SET' which was a commercial failure with only one pop track. This album with it's upbeat happy songs lifts it above many other pop acts of the era. 'Love on your side' , Lies , Judy Do , We are Detective , Lies are all brilliant songs and are not that dated even today. This album was a follow up to there best ever album 'Into the gap' in 1984. However 'Quick Step' taken as a stand alone album rates very highly indeed as a sample of perfect 80's syth/pop. It's a real pity that after two brilliant albums they lost there way, And failed to keep up with the moving musical trends so finally after 8 albums split up in 1992, which I suppose isn't a bad run. Of the CD there are three extra re-mix tracks which is a great move and well worth the 4 stars i have awarded this great album, go and buy this you won't regret it !.

4.0 out of 5 stars a few high kicks!!!, 5 Oct 2006
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
this was the first big thompson twins album and ive only just got this rereleased version!

its a great 80's electronic album with more than a bit of class!

it features the singles "love on your side" and "lies" which are brilliant plus the wierd single releases "watching" and "we are detective" which i think are a bit too corny!and probably the worst songs on the album!!!

if you like "into the gap" you will love this is their second best album!

of the other tracks "if you where here" is beautiful and amazing, "kamikaze" is atmosheric and would fit well on "into the gap"!

"love lies bleeding" is good "all fall down" is as well!!!

plus you get 4 bonus tracks "lucky day" is a b-side and you can see why..the 3 remixes are a great inclusion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy Oh Joy !, 24 Jun 2008
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
Yet another Re-Release of Quick Step, but this time with the good bits, i.e. The cassette remixes! Thought, by most fans, to be lost forever. You will probably already know what an exellent album this is anyway ( in my view, the best T.T. release ) But hats off to Edsel for such a well packaged product, with nice history fold out page. The sound quality is near perfect. If you only buy this disc for Frozen in Time/Fallen Out ( cassette extended remixes, my personal favorites ) you won't be dissapointed. Oh, and there is a second disc too, with 12" mixes, which have been previously released on other compilations, but still worth a listen. It's a joy to hear these cassette mixes in a digital "un-hissy" format for the first time ( I don't think cassettes were ment to played constantly for over 20 years ).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-presented reissue with all the extras!, 13 Mar 2008
M. B. Wilson "crushtrash" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
When I spotted the reissue I rediscovered my old cassette to decide whether I wanted to buy, and immediately realised how good this album is! That's not to say all tracks are classic, but overall the mix of commercial singles and rather underground sounding album tracks makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts - and this reissue is great! The sound quality throughout is faultless (even through headphones) and its nice they were able to include the full original Cassette version on one disc. The second disc is full of all the extras you could ever wish for (even if the odd rarity may have been slipped through the net). The artwork is nicely done and at this mid-price it's a bargain, and perfect opportunity to enjoy this quirky outfit all over again. Maybe one day "Set" will also get a proper CD issue (remastered as well as this is).

4.0 out of 5 stars love on your side!, 26 Oct 2008
P. Winn (Liverpool, merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quick Step And Side Kick (Audio CD)
The twins! even though they are a trio! This album is a stunner and will get you bopping around the house on full volume, watch the speakers though! it's got a mean bass line on this album. "we are detective" "watching" and "love on your side" rip through this album "judy do" has great drums! if you have top notch HiFi you will love this album as it's not only fun but grabs your attention with it's bright clean sound. Good pop!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Fine

Quick Step And Side Kick
Quick Step And Side Kick by Thompson Twins (Audio CD - 2008)