Rockferry
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 13 December 2007
Absolutely love this single, and the B-side is great too. Duffy has an incredible voice, a bit bluesy, or almost country sounding, and there's a definite air of the sixties to 'Rockferry'. Occasionally sounds like she's channeling Eva Cassidy, but rockier. So difficult to describe her! As distinctive and hard to categorise as Amy Winehouse (who I also love).
Word to the wise, if vinyl isn't an option for you, both the A and B-sides are available from a fruit-related download store! A brief surf of the internet will also lead you to a sample for a third song (Warwick Avenue), and full-length (free) download of another (Breaking My Own Heart). (Can't be too detailed due to amazon review rules).

All in all, it's definitely whetted my appetite for the album. Can't wait!
on 4 January 2008
Stunning! This sends shivers down the spine and this single is an excellent taster for the album (due out March 3rd?)
Her voice is bluesy and conjures up echoes of Dusty and more current comparisons with the power of Amy Winehouse.
Duffy is going to be huge in 2008. Remember where you read that first.
VINE VOICEon 15 February 2008
There have been a raft of vocalists with a sound that harks back to the 60's and 70's and you could be forgiven for thinking that Duffy is just another one. Her arrival has been carefully managed, with sell out gigs in small venues building the hype, prior to the release of this album.

All music biz manipulation so far then, except that Duffy is worth the hype and is a potentially huge star. As someone who is addicted to 60's and 70's Soul, and in particular the female vocalists, I hear in Duffy echoes of the great Soul voices, as well as Dusty Springfield, the most obvious comparison. As long as she picks her material and her producers well, then she will be a very big star indeed.

Stand out tracks from the album are "Syrup and Honey" a stripped down, bluesy ballad which showcases her voice perfectly, "Mercy", with it's old school Motown feel, and "Warwick Avenue". On further listening, "Hanging On Too Long" and "Distant Dreamer" are both tracks that will grow on you - they have for me. All in all, an impressive debut and this is a highly recommended purchase for anyone who likes Soul.

Likely to be the album of 2008 - buy it
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well, my copy of this CD arrived this morning from Amazon and I've been playing it non-stop for about 12 hours. What a treat, what a breath of fresh air, what a sensation! As mentioned elsewhere, some of the songs inspire memories of white 60s stars such as Lulu, Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield but some riffs had me thinking of some of the black legends Dionne Warwick and Arethra Franklin; and yet it's still spot-on original, very contemporary and this girl has a very defined voice and talent that is absolutely her own. There are ten tracks and every single one is either very good or better. As we wonder if Amy Winehouse has peaked and allowed her success to nearly destroy her, we can enjoy more than adequate compensation in the form of another young female singer who gives the impression that she's got her feet firmly on the ground and can already lay claim to the greatest voice Wales has ever produced - and I'm thinking of none other than Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones.

I can't think how this album could possibly be improved. Thanks to Duffy and everyone else responsible for writing and producing such a classic.
on 21 March 2008
I've been a fan of Duffy ever since I first heard "Mercy", I loved her style, and her voice took me into the 60s big-stylee.
After hearing "Rockferry" too, I decided to buy the album and I was NOT disappointed!

1. "Rockferry"
This song is amazing, fantastic mid-tempo tune, and she really displays her amazing vocal range when she sings the last chorus a whole octave higher! Bloody hard to sing a long to, but you won't be able to resist trying!

2. "Warwick Avenue"
I was SO impressed with this song. It's really bluesy and it shows off her great voice, it's catchy and it's definitely one of the album's highlights.

3. "Serious"
This is one of the two tracks on the album which I'm not entirely sure of. It sounds a little bit poppy compared to the rest of the album, plus the verses seem to lead up to a chorus which is a bit lacklustre. Definitely still listenable, but more so for the verses than anything else.

4. "Stepping Stone"
This song is beautiful. Love the chorus, there are some beautiful high notes and she just pulls it off brilliantly.

5. "Syrup And Honey"
LOVE this song, definitely a contender to be one of my favourite songs on the album. Here she sings about how money doesn't matter as long as she has the love of her partner. Great, simple lyrics and just a fantastic track.

6. "Hanging On Too Long"
This is the other of the two tracks which I don't love. There are no really spectacular high notes here, and although it's only four minutes long, the song seems to drag a bit as there isn't much change in her pitch all the way through.

7. "Mercy"
What needs to be said about this song? It's obviously phenomenal, catchy sixties beats and those high notes make this song. If you just like the style of the song, don't buy the album on that note, but if it's her voice you love then this album's for you.

8. "Delayed Devotion"
This song is quite uptempo and punchy, it's catchy and although it's not one of the best tracks on the album, it's still very listenable.

9. "I'm Scared"
This song is a beautiful ballad which deals with the issue of death. It's very soul-fuelled and bluesy, and Duffy seems to sing the song with real emotion.

10. "Distant Dreamer"
This track closes the album in style. I have to admit that at first I wasn't mad about it, and I was a bit skeptical about it being 5 minutes long as I sometimes have quite a short attention span when it comes to songs! But her voice sounds beautiful on this, the chorus is amazing and the tune is really big-band style.
on 3 March 2008
Having been enchanted by the single Mercy, and Duffy's live performances of Warwick Avenue and Ready to the Floor (A cover of the Hot Chip song) I was much looking forward to purchasing Rockferry.

I was slightly apprehensive that Mercy would turn out to be the only song of note on the album but my apprehensions were massivley misplaced.

Every song on the album is excellent, the stand out tracks for me are Warwick Avenue, Syrup and Honey, Hanging on too long and Delayed Devotion with Mercy of course a further highlight.

I think to fully enjoy this album you need a hot drink, a quiet room and time to relax.

An absolutley superb debut album from Duffy and the 5 starts are thoroughly warranted.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 August 2008
I can't believe it took me so long to buy this album. People have been telling me it's great for ages. Thing is, somehow I managed to not hear any Duffy songs until about a month ago. Yeah, I know, where have I been?
Anyway, this is excellent. Warwick Avenue, Mercy, Rockferry they're all classic tracks that sound like you've known them for years.
Great voice, great music, great lyrics. Overall a very accessible album.
on 3 March 2008
How many times have you been drawn to buying an album by buckets full of hype and a really strong single, only to find you've heard the best? Not this time.

Rockferry's ten tracks are each one a soulful gem: fabulous writing, great playing and that voice. An instant classic.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 January 2013
'Rockferry' is not just a very good record it is a very cleverly contrived album as well. Take one huge dollop of 60's nostalgia, add in as many musical references to classic 60's songs (and even a classic from the 80's) add a great female vocalist who could easily be the re-incarnate of Nancy Sinatra or Dusty Springfield and stir until ready...

Contrived though this may be you still have to hand it to Duffy and her team because in songs like 'Stepping Stone' (Anyone Who Ever Had A Heart), 'Warwick Avenue' (Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay), 'Distant Dreamer' (TT's 'The Best') and 'Mercy' (96 Tears) they have managed to write brand new classic songs inspired from the ashes of yesteryear. That this makes the album simply drip with nostalgia does little to hurt its chances of worming a way into our hearts and as Duffy is not only gorgeous but seriously talented as well gives us no chance of resisting. Even an old reprobate like me can't fail to be moved by her vocals on (best track) 'Stepping Stone' nor feel the chilling touch of the blues creep over him when she sings 'I'm Scared' or 'Syrup & Honey' and that the album is gone well before it has time to outstay its welcome shows some recording savvy on the part of the team as a whole.

For generations to come 'Rockferry' will deservedly live on as a classic of the noughties - lets hope that as many also remember that it was a record born out of love for the 60's.
on 2 May 2009
Having got this on the strength of the singles 'Mercy', 'Rockferry', and 'Warwick Avenue', I have to confess to being dissappointed by the album. It's nicely put together and produced, and even hangs together well as an album, but it's all a bit too safe and predictable to be exciting. It makes for a neat, slickly done, sixties soul pastiche, but never really rises above that to become something in its own right.