4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun for kids AND adults
The Chipmunks have been around for as long as I can remember and I have vague recollections of them being on TV when I was younger. However, I never really paid them that much attention and wasn't a particular `Chipmunk' fan. It was a case of coming across this film by accident as opposed to knowing about it. Not having any young kids I wasn't aware of the Chipmunk Fever...
Published on 4 Nov. 2009 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Here comes trouble
When I first saw the trailer to Alvin & the Chipmunks, I was horrified, I grew up with the chipmunks cartoon in the 70's and 80's. But after thinking about it, the chipmunks have been around since the 50's, my generation's chipmunks were a new introduction to us as well as this movie is to the kids of 2007. There are flaws here and there about the film, but it was meant...
Published on 7 Jan. 2013 by Lord Anon

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An Adorable Movie, 20 Jun. 2008
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007] (Blu-ray)
Alvin & The Chipmunks is one of those shows that you remember with fondness from your childhood and thanks to corporate money grabbing, the movie executives decided it was a good idea to take your childhood and update it. I was skeptical at first, I thought this would just be another one of those movies that takes a classic cartoon series like Garfield or The Flintstones and makes a feature length movie using either Live action, CGI or both. Because of this I kept away from this film as long as I could but after resisting temptation for so long, I had to give in and at least give it a try, needless to say I wasn't disappointed. For this review I will discuss both the pros and cons of this movie to give you a fair and honest view of the film to give you an informed decision.

Pro: Jason Lee: Most people will know him from the hit comedy series My Name Is Earl and with these people that will have been the only reason they will have given this film a chance. He's a great comic actor and someone that you just look at and smile because of his natural charisma and ease at which he plays the beaten, yet optimistic Dave Seville. He is a bit cringeworthy when doing the whole ALVIN!!!! thing as, although it's a part of the classic series, in todays setting it just doesn't fit. Either way though Jason Lee was one of the primary reasons why I enjoyed the film like I did

Con: The CGI: I know if you wanted to make a live action version of Alvin and the Chipmunks the use of CGI would be inevitable. The problem I have with it though, is that the CGI animations are quite sub-par and by todays standards should have been much better. At times with the CGI being a bit unrealistic it took a big element out of the film and in a way destroyed the fantasy element of the whole thing.

Pro: The Music: Obviously the whole premise of Alvin and the Chipmunks being that they're singing Chipmunks, the introduction of music would be inevitable. From the get go we're introduced to the classic high pitched yet melodic singing of the gang and the voices just make you think that the whole thing is adorable. Being voiced by Justin Long, Jesse McCartney & Matthew Gray Gubler the singing is an even bigger surprise as it does present a feel of genuine harmony between the three.

Con: The plot wasn't great. Of course it's a kids movie and being so it has to contain a sort of light hearted predictability, and you have to give the viewers something to get into and surely you would come to anticipate the success of the Chipmunks if they're managed by a heartless, money driven manager, Ian played by David Cross. I just found the whole plot bland and a bit too predictable.

Overall I found the movie to be quite enjoyable, with some hearty laughs and the presenting of such a sweet atmosphere. I found myself really caring for the Chipmunks and aside from their hearty musical talent, you develop a fondness for them that will ensure you watch this film to the end. I would recommend it to any fans of the classic cartoon or of Jason Lee as he's a genuine big plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious movie for the whole family, 4 May 2008
This review is from: Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007] (Blu-ray)
I watched this movie with my kids with some trepidation. I almost passed it by in the shop because I just thought "Oh no. Chip 'n Dale!" but both kids put their foot down and I was forced into a purchase :) I need not have worried for this is a film full of fun for adults and children alike. A thoroughly enjoyable time which found all of us laughing out loud from start to finish!

Fantastic picture quality on this Blu-Ray version and great 5.1 DTS HD Master audio fills the room with the music.

I can't wait for the second showing next weekend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Family fun and entertainment, 25 May 2010
When I ordered this movie, I wasn't sure what to expect. The reviews on Amazon were good, but generally the film had been panned by critics as one of the worst films of 2007, despite it's major financial success. Bah, just shows how much the critics know!

I finally got the chance to see this film the other night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Fun, cute, inoffensive and pure family entertainment. (OK, a couple of bathroom jokes, but they were not taken to any extremes)
There was humour where it applied in the movie, but also some moments of emotion - such as when Theodore had a nightmare and Dave let him stay with him for the night.
To be honest, the only problem I might have with the movie is that the "boys" were sometimes hard to understand with their squeaky voices... still, the actors enunciated their lines pretty well, so generally this wasn't a problem.
Anyway, long and short of it is that this movie is unjustly underrated and definitely worth the watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Kids Film, 2 Dec. 2014
PPS076 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this for my young nephew a few years ago for his birthday.

The feedback that I had from his parents was of a positive nature and I believe that they watched it again the following month. When I watched it for myself I though that it was quite good although I would not want to watch it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiddie friendly fun, 26 Aug. 2008
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is exactly what you would expect of a "Chipmunk" film. Lots of hilarious slapstick humour, silly, but predictable storyline, plus the enigmatic, if somewhat over-egged Chipmunk voices.

Storyline, of this mixed real film and CGI, is basically of an aspiring songwriter, struggling to write any kind of song, which is where Alvin, Theodore and Simon come in. From there the hilarities start and the predictable plot unwinds.

Not really for "adults", but for all kids everywhere, this is a great film. We put it on in the car for the kids whilst we were driving on holiday, and there was blissful peace from the back, apart from the regular bouts of laughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for all ages, 19 Jan. 2011
I'm a 30-something with no kids so didn't think I would enjoy this film but boy was I wrong. It's very funny, has some great music, is moving and has a happy ending - what more could you ask for? I've now watched it dozens of times and I never seem to tire of it. For anyone like me who used to watch the Chipmunks cartoon as a kid, it's the story of how the Chipmunks met Dave. Some of the scenes are just so cute and funny - you've really got to watch what the Chipmunks are doing in the background sometimes and some of the subtler aspects I only got after watching it a second time. Excellent film, especially great to watch on Christmas eve.

5.0 out of 5 stars AAAAAAAALLLLLLLVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN, 23 May 2012
Oh my god, this is the best version of the chipmunks' adoption story.

Like in the cartoon, Dave is struggling to write a hit song and the boys are
living in the wild. When they meet, it's a little rocky at first.

And when Dave expresses concern at "Where are your parents?", Simon and Alvin reassure him after chipmunks are a week born your parents leave you to fend for yourself. And, basically by testing their limits Alvin, Simon and Theo are helping
Dave learn how to love unconditionally. The funny part was when Alvin is taking a shower in the dishwasher and says "Uh I'm waiting for the rinse cycle." LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 April 2013
Bought as a replacement for a previous DVD, a favourite with my bod. Speedy delivery and excellent product. Ideal for keeping youngster entertained!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007], 2 Sept. 2011
M. Wadsworth - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007] (Blu-ray)
This is an excellent film for both children and adults alike. Good storyline, that's if you believe in talking and singing chipmunks, Don't we all? Probably a true reflection of the music industry today, a nobody discovers a group, gets them together and nurtures them, only for a corporate big wig to hear a track, sign them and then try and rip them off and steal all the glory for himself. Naturally, he gets his come uppance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chuffed, 14 July 2013
My daughter received an old PSP from her cousin and was overjoyed to have this to watch while staying in hospital.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007]
Alvin And The Chipmunks [Blu-ray] [2007] by Tim Hill (Blu-ray - 2008)