5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Recording, 9 Oct 2013
M. Axworthy (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schumann - Frauenliebe und Leben; Lenau-Lieder (Audio CD)
I would strongly recommend this excellent recording to all those who love German lieder - Bernarda's beautiful voice and the very fine piano of Roger Vignoles are a winning combination. All in all outstandingly good, not to be missed by Schumann lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Fink, 27 July 2011
Sasha "lampic" (at sea...sailing somewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schumann - Frauenliebe und Leben; Lenau-Lieder (Audio CD)
If I had my misgivings about depressing "Winterreise" (is it because of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau? Schubert?) I had no problems with Lieder by Robert Schumann.
Or perhaps I can take it better when sung by gentle woman's voice than barking baritone,who knows? In any case as in my explorations of classical music I follow ears and my own impressions more than any critics and suggestions, I was glad to encounter lovely voice of Bernarda Fink because if it's not for her I would have started to seriously doubt the whole damn Lieder repertoire. In her hands the whole thing sounds more accepting and hers is such easily enjoyable art that I never regretted purchasing this CD.

"Frauenliebe Und Leben" (A Woman's Life and Love) is a 17-songs cycle that follows dreams and loves of a woman through poetry and music. I find it surprising that in today's time some find these preoccupations with husband and family old-fashioned,since it has to be understand that this work represents 19.century view of woman and poetry here merely reflects ideas of the time.Yes,the woman in these songs lives and breathes for her husband and children but honestly,in some deeper levels I am certain women all over the world still put their families on pedestal no matter what current fashion might say.

Back to the recording: other might go deeper in musical analysis and describe in far more words what Bernarda Fink does here and there,stops knowingly and pause accordingly to lyrics where it gets the best effect. I can only describe what effect her art has on me - the music genre I usually have problem with (namely german Lieder song) has me melting here and I enjoy listening the whole CD without wishing to escape or change the music as before. Sure,Fink is a singing actress and in command of her art completely but no matter how dramatic she gets occasionally,I find her voice very soothing and relaxing to listen. And gentle piano playing by Roger Vignoles is like a river brook behind her. The first time ever I actually enjoyed Lieder.

ARRAY(0xb6500e70)

Schumann - Frauenliebe und Leben; Lenau-Lieder
Schumann - Frauenliebe und Leben; Lenau-Lieder by Bernarda Fink (Audio CD - 2008)