on 31 May 2012
I bought the HF2's after my Beats Tours which are great until one of the ear buds broke. So I went off and did loads of research on decent in ear headphones. Read all about lows, mids and highs etc you get on different headphones. Read a review saying the HF2 headphones didnt really kick out a decent lowend, but I thought how bad could it be!? So got the HF2's:

1) well packaged, apart from a little tricky to pull the inner box out the outer box without tearing the cardboard.
2) Headphones solid build, with mic
3) Earbuds very comfortable
4) Excellent usage for phonecalls

Right the main usage, listening to music, well I was very very dissapointed to hear an almost tinny sound for what should be a bass sounds (lowend). It doesnt matter if the high and mids are good, you need a decent grain on the bass line. I used the HF2 for 3 days, and stopped, fixed my Beats tours, as at that point realised how much better they are! Sent the HF2 back and got a full refund.

Maybe other versions are better, but for listening to music, all genres I listen to, I found them poor. Literally tinny sound for bass!

Etymotic Research HF2 iPhone and iPod Headset - Black
on 30 July 2009
This headset is the best I have tried, and I have tried many! The clarity of sound is excellent. Highly recommended.
on 15 December 2009
I was over the moon with these Etymotic Research HF2 headsets until I tried to use the button and use the microphone. The sound in the earpieces was lovely, truly lovely. Sadly the button didn't work, and the microphone was out of order. I tried the headsets on both my iPhone 3G and my partner's iPhone 3GS, same problem with both. I use the plural of the word headset because I returned the first hoping it was a one off, but the second pair was exactly the same. They were also returned.
I've since been told by Etymotic that dust in the headphone socket can cause this, so if you've got the same problem, try blowing into the headphone socket. Interestingly I've had 3 other headphones with my iPhone and none of them has had this problem.
Now I use a pair of Klipsch and they're ace too, and all bits work.
on 14 October 2010
I have been a fan of Etymotic products for some years now. I prefer inner ear phones and the sound from these are pretty amazing.... the previous reviews are correct.... you DO need a good seal for the bass to come through and it works for me excellently. However, I cannot see how to remove the microphone as the product title suggests.... not that I would want to, I just think it's a bit misleading.... but then again, I may be incorrect. Certainly, there's nothing in the documentation that came with the headphones that suggests that you can remove the microphone. And the Etymotic website doesn't mention it can be removed either.
on 16 November 2009
Many reviewers have written the bass output is below standard and others replied that to get a good output, you just need to insert the earphones properly. I tried all the attachment properly, tweaked all the EQs possible on my iphone, and the bass is still very weak and shallow. I have stuck with my Sennheisers (which, incidentally, are half the price), and regret trying this. It's true the midrange is very broad, though, and does put up sounds you don't often hear. But it's not one for electronica.
on 23 February 2010
Sorry everyone but after a month with these I have reverted back to my cheapo sennheisers. The flanged earbuds are awful but the foam ones are better. I have read that you need to deeply insert the phones into your ear as far as they can go. This I did until my brain started to go "ouch", but still bass response was pitiful. I guess these would be OK for listening to taking books but for rock/indy/dance/classical/chillout it really is missing warmth. I even have a pair of "fake" BOSE headphones (also bought from amazon) which sound better than these by a long chalk. When using the inline mic, people I'm calling say it sounds like I'm about 100 yrds away from the mic. The worst pair of headphones I have ever wasted my money on.
on 11 February 2010
I purchased a set of these headphones after seeing them get an A+ rating on ilounge. However, that rating is proof that sound is such a subjective thing that reviews can next to useless in helping you decide what's right for your ears.

Nicely made, presented and functioning as this headset is - the sound is *very* light on bass to my ears. To frank, it's little better than listening to the iPhone next to you on your desk through the inbuilt speaker. A little clearer of course, but certainly no more response in the lower registers.

Not worth the money at all, in my book.
on 20 March 2010
Bought this in December broke by March! The sound started to go in one ear I thought it was the gunk that gets stuck in the ear but it turns out it was the wire. Had to buy something else a waste of £70! Good while it lasted, wish it had a volume control when it worked as it helps when on a packed bus and can't get to your iPhone!
on 21 March 2009
Although this has the potential to be a fantastic product, I was unable to find out which "other music phones" it is compatible with. I tried emailing etymotic research, but no reply. My Nokia 5310 uses the correct plug but when I attach the hf2 it says 'Enhancement not supported' and does not even play sound through the headphones. Apparently the Nokia N95 has the same problem. So if you are intending to use this headset with anything other than an iPhone take care. I'm off to order the hf5 (same thing but without the microphone)
on 17 July 2010
I urge anyone considering buying these to avoid at all costs, the only positive I can think of the remote control feature which negates the need to take your ipod out of your pocket to change tracks. Aside from this one positive this is a terrible set of headphones, firstly the sound quality is certainly not representative of the £70 price tag with almost non existent bass on all equaliser settings and weak almost washed out sound on most music types with electronic music coming out the best of bad bunch. Comfort is not a plus point either with the irritating trade off between comfort or noise isolation that comes with the supplied options which compared with other cheaper options is shocking. The build quality on these headphones is again shockingly bad, within 2 months the cable had split and gradually all of the wires became exposed and the sound disappeared in one ear, and although these come with a 2 year warranty it seems to be impossible to find out any information on how/where to return them (emailed customer services weeks ago but still no reply). DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE REVIEWS AND AWARDS!!! I can only assume the awards from macworld and the like come through some sort of commercial beneficial association between apple and etymotic,pay no attention and stick to more established and quality brands. Biggest waste of £70