5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product !
Published on 9 Nov. 2009 by P. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars To the Bat Cave... read the update at end of review
Published on 13 April 2011 by Flaco

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product !, 9 Nov. 2009
P. Lee (South West UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
I recently purchase a Bike Cave in green, it arrived the day after it was ordered which was excellent. We live in the South West and have experienced some very wet weather since the bike cave was put up, no leakage at all. Our bike cave house 3 bikes - 2 of which are adult frames, the other one nearly full adult size, plus a bike tow-along trailer. All these fit in with no bother - much better than a wooden bike shed as there is a bit of give for protruding handlebars etc. We have sited our on a base made of decking planks , to allow rain to run off underneath the cave floor, and have attached it to the base and the wall - again high winds have been experienced - but all fine. It's only weakness ( this is nitpicking ) is that it would have been better with a zip with 2 zippers - so that you could fasten it in the middle of the door, therefore enabling you to easily access bits inside. It does the job brilliantly !

3.0 out of 5 stars To the Bat Cave... read the update at end of review, 13 April 2011
Flaco "flacolito" (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
Have been using this since Apr 2011. During that time we have had some rough weather in Kent with winds gusting up to 50mph but the tent is still fully intact. Bear in mind also that I have only been able to secure it to the ground with the ground pegs and the weight of items inside (i.e. could not fix it firmly to the wall). Nevertheless, it has withstood the battering.

If you have experience of erecting tents you will be ok with this, otherwise you might struggle slightly due to lack of simple diagram instructions. There are two sets of fibreglass poles which slot together with elasticated shock cord. These then have to be threaded along curved sleeves located front and back of the structure. NB - two things to note here, (a) make sure you 'push' these long pole assemblies through the sleeves (i.e. do not 'pull' on them at any point), and (b)push both sets through BEFORE putting one of them under tension or you might struggle to get the second one through. In each corner of the tent base you will see metal rings in the canvas straps: simply poke the pole ends into these to place them under tension and achieve the curved structure. Don't worry, the poles will not snap. Word of advice for novices: erect it on a calm day without strong winds!

I agree with what others have said about the zips. Unfortunately this is a common problem with tents in general, especially with cheaper varieties. NB - if you are going to secure and tension the whole structure substantially, you must only do so with the zipped flap in the closed position. If you secure/tension everything first with the zips open, you may find that you place the zip under too much stress when trying to close it subsequently. This will probably break/tear it as a result.

There are 5 sets of short tensioning poles which are essential for achieving the end shape, and in order to achieve sufficient tension with these you will have to use the eyelets and straps doubled over to end up with the pole ends pushing into the fabric edge of the tent itself. Sorry this is so vague and confusing, but there's no easy way to explain it.

I couldn't see any information on the material used in the construction, so cannot comment on how waterproof this is likely to be, or how much resistance it will have to UV damage. However, I suspect it is a standard grade nylon because of the marked difference in dry vs wet tension of the fabric - when wet, it slacks off and sags quite a bit.

I'll be interested to see how it copes with rain in the long run, but as an alternative shelter (my wife won't let me have a shed, and they're so expensive anyway) I can't be too critical of this product as it's nice to have a cheaper option.

UPDATE Jan 2013: I've downgraded my rating to 3-stars (from 4). The overriding problem with this product is the poor fabric quality. The nylon becomes ultra slack when wet and too tight when warmed up by the sun. The first split in the fabric appeared spring 2012, followed by a snapped pole a few months later. New, large splits have appeared everywhere and the tent is now completely useless, essentially because the fabric is too weak and degraded now. Being realistic, tents can only be considered if they are either suitably sheltered or only intended as a short term storage solution, unless they are made from completely different (expensive) material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shed's are so yesterday - everyone should have a Bike Cave!, 1 May 2010
Olivia Clarke - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
We'd been looking for a solution to get the bike out of the weather, and also store a few garden things. We were about to order an Overlap Wooden Bike Shed to the tune of £185...then our friend told us about Bike Cave.

When we ordered it, we were not 100% sure it would suit our needs to be honest. How wrong we were! My lord, it's the best £35.00 we're ever spent and saved us £150 to put towards the Summer Holiday! It only took 10 minutes to put up, and we now have a very tidy garden and an even tidier spare room! It's already been tested in rain & wind conditions, and faired very well indeed.

Just to give you an idea on capacity and why it's well worth buying - our Bike Cave is currently housing the following:

1 x Adult Mountain Bike, Helmet, Lights
2 x Bags of Children's Play Sand
2 x Large Bag of BBQ & Chiminea Fuel
2 x Bags of Kindling Sticks
+ Various Brooms, Gardening Tools, Clay Plant Pots, Weedkiller, Plant Food etc

..and it's not full either! I dare say there's room for me to use it as a hiding place when the kids play hide n seek!

It's a spectacular product, which far exceeded all of our expectations and more. It's an absolute bargain for £35! Fully recommend it to anyone looking for a garden storage solution - bike or no bike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike cave review, 30 May 2010
E. D'Souza - See all my reviews
This is great. It stores x2 adult and x1 large childs bike (10yrs old) easily. It has kept them perfectly dry and the zip is fine so far. I have mine against a wall tied to railings (which are on top of the wall) with bricks at the bottom and it's fine. It is big but merges well with the ivy on the wall so is soon not noticeable. It even has a velcro flap the back so you can secure the bikes to an external fixing if you want. Definately recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike and 'odd bits' storage tent, 27 April 2009
Mrs. S. M. Williams "Williams PE4" (Peterborough) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
The bike cave does exactly what it claims. I bought mine in all green and it blends in with the fence and trees at the back of my somewhat moderately sized garden so that, unless you actually point it out, no one notices it. Perfect! Easily accommodates my mountain bike and other items that are a bit of an eyesore.

3.0 out of 5 stars pin it down!!!, 26 May 2009
Ms. J. Herkes "Julie" (east kilbride,scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
Bought for storing bikes but you MUST make sure you pin it down or tie it up as it will take off in the wind!..Also leaked a little too

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike cave, 24 Aug. 2009
Glenn Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
The bike cave is a simple but effective idea. It works well and is easy to put up and use.

We have ours on a section of our decking and it was easy to secure, not sure if you would get the same security when using the tent pegs to hold it on the grass? I used screws to hold down the tapes where you would normally use the tent pegs.

I managed to put 2 adult mountain bikes and 1 childs mountain bike (20in) into the cave without any problems and plenty of space to put our helmets.

It is not the most secure bike storage out there, it is just a tent in reality. It would not stop someone from cutting it open to get at the bikes. We have our bikes locked inside the cave and should they attempt to get them then they will have to struggle with 3 bikes in one go.

I had looked at several storage solutions and this was by far the cheapest and best storage solution I could find. I would recommend it to anyone who lives in a reasonable area that does not suffer from too much crime.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
Well the plus points. It's a good idea and nicely wrapped but that's as far as it goes. I purchased one of these first impressions. It's a tent. It goes up fairly easily but to get the best it has to be on flat ground and I mean very flat ground. The zips are poor quality and the design of the tent is not good. The zips jag when drawing or closing and there is a lot of tugging to close or open the tent. There is a design problem whereby the seams of the tent can interfere with the zips and cause the zips to jam and two hands are needed to clear the problem, minor niggle yes if it was near the top of the tent but it jams near the ground and if it was in cold or wet conditions would soon be given up as a lost cause. Also two bikes is quite a squeeze and if you purchase the bike stands as well it makes it even worse to put two bikes inside, so don't buy the stand unless you are not going to place the tent alongside a wall or fence. Why am I keeping it well it will be OK to use when camping as it can store the bikes inside it or other items that need to be under cover, but otherwise look for something else before settling for this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars TIDY TENT REVIEW, 4 May 2010
Mr. S. J. Matthews (London,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this tent to store garden funiture and other summer items more conveniently than in the garage, Slightly fiddly to put up, but perfectly adequate once assembled, and providing it has some stuff in it to give it stability, is a very good buy, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 5 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green (Sports)
Absolutely no problem with this product. I had it built in 10 mins and it has been totally waterproof (which is good considering its Scotland) and it has plenty of room for several bikes.

My neighbours all want one instead of the obligatory mangey shed at the bottom of the garden !!

Bike Cave Tidy Tent - All Green
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available