5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily Effective
Published on 7 Oct. 2008 by dunsto

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
We bought this hoover as we moved house and had a mixture of wood floors and carpets. We were recommended this hoover from someone who had a long haired alsatian and said it was fantastic at picking the dog hair up. We have 2 Bernese Mountain dogs so went with the recommendation.

it seemed ok at first but then the carpet head wouldn't go round properly. I...
Published on 28 Dec. 2009 by Sara A. Vanstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily Effective, 7 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Dyson DC23 Animal Dyson Stowaway Easy Storage Cylinder Vacuum for Pet Owners (Kitchen & Home)
Upgrading from a resilient DC02 which survived relentless hoovering of plaster and grit from domestic building works I opted for another Dyson. This model chosen particularly because of its superior 1400W motor and, more importantly, 280 airwatts suction (the highest rating I could find and 25% higher than the more expensive Dyson DC21 Motorhead Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner).
In use, on carpet the motorised brush heads are very effective indeed giving noticeably impressive results, picking up hair and dust that the DC02 couldn't and noticeably reviving the appearance of the pile. On relatively smooth wooden floor the suction is obvious, even pulling light dust from the area local to the outside of the suction head.
Can't readily fault it. Perhaps the 'plasticy' look, feel and operation of the 'wand' and of course the price, but the results are consistently noticeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson Animal Stowaway, 26 April 2009
This is a life-enhancing vacuum cleaner!
Having used a standard Dyson DC02 for the past 10 years, we were familiar with the brand and decided to upgrade because the brush head on our old Dyson simply could not cope with wiry dog hairs. The Animal Stowaway is compact and although not the lightest model, is incredibly efficient at removing dog hairs from carpets and upholstery. All the extra tools and brush heads are useful and the suction is excellent, just make sure you don't try and vacuum against the pile of the carpet as it can be difficult to move the brush head!
We looked at other brands but the cost of replacement bags and filters made them uneconomical, and whilst they may be cheaper than this model, you get what you pay for and when vacuuming up pet hairs on a regular basis, bagless is the best option. I have recommended this Dyson to all my friends with pets.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 28 Dec. 2009
Sara A. Vanstone (UK) - See all my reviews

it seemed ok at first but then the carpet head wouldn't go round properly. I spent ages on the Dyson helpline describing what was happening and she just kept repeating herself at things to try. I only bought it in September and this was about a month later. She finally agreed to send me a new carpet head attachment. This seemed to work better, but I have to say, not brilliantly.

I find the hard floor attachment really good.

My previous Dyson was an upright so find this really awkward to use (still). It is quite heavy and a bit of a lump to carry upstairs. I find the hose a pain to wrap around to store away. It is also very difficult to empty and can guarantee I always need to change my clothes when finished hoovering.

All in all a disappointment and wouldn't recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 Jan. 2009
I. Sieders (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
We wanted a good vacuum cleaner that could handle fur from our bunny who is running around our apartment 24/7. What was also important that it could handle little hay bits. The Dyson DC23 does everything perfect and gets all fur and hay out of the carpet. Also the attachment for the sofa was super, it got all the fur of my cushions in no time. Couldn't be more impressed!

If you have bunnies wandering around in your home then this vacuum cleaner is perfect for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 30 Oct. 2008
M. Lomas - See all my reviews
Having had the product for a little while now, I find it to be superb. My previous vacuum cleaner was a bagged product, and had a powerful motor, yet having bought this product after my old cleaner finally broke down, I was surprised at how much dust this product picked up, and seemed to make light work of it too!

The build quality is also excellent - whilst the machine is slightly on the heavy side, it moves easily, and the wraparound system does make it very neat when stored. It also fits well on stairs as advertised.
The tools that it comes with are also good, and can be attached either to the end of the extending 'wand', or directly onto the end of the hose (which detaches very easily from the wand when required).

The technology of the product is quite remarkable - the cyclone system was, and still is a fantastic innovation, and a giant leap forward over a vacuum cleaner with a bag.

Finally, I find it re-assuring to know the product comes with such a good warranty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good suction spoilt by flimsy plastic construction, 26 Mar. 2009
J. P. Bowles (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
Compared to my previous Dyson cleaner this one has a fragile feel to all the plastic parts, in particular the clear plastic dust bin. The clear carry handle is not firmly fixed to at the one end and is free move up and down. Given that this handle is also used to carry the cleaner I would have expected a more robust construction. The dustbin assembly is not such a positive fit in the cleaner body as my previous model.

Whilst the cleaner does provide the usual excellent Dyson suction I feel that they have skimped on the build quality considering the price tag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Death Of The Dust Bunnies, 1 April 2010
M. Eckmann "From Langeland" (Tranekær, Denmark.) - See all my reviews
Hi - I am Danish, but ordered from Amazon UK since it was 2/3 of the lowest retail/online prices here in Denmark.
Talk about motivation - it was there!

Loving this product.
Only incident was a small piece of chew-bone somehow stuck in the turbine head - resulting in Boeing-jet like speeds. The chew-bone was easily removed though and the jet engine went back to normal taxi'ing speed. Reassuring.

First use on my most traffic-laden carpet was like watching an infomercial of the most over-the-top kind. It literally made bright, clean stripes on an otherwise clean (or so I thought!) carpet. I even vacuumed it beforehand - being the skeptic I am.
It exceeded my expectations to say the least.
Very gratifying!

Emptying the container is a dusty affair though - thankfully I live in a house with my main dustbin away from the house. The container is plastic. So it accumulates static electricity... resulting in a very dusty exterior after emptying it. Bring a slim, long, soft brush to get the worst off. Don't stand facing up-wind.
I attach the brush tool on the hose before going out to empty it. Then when I put the container back on, I can give it a quick swipe-over and it's clean again.

A USEFUL TIP that should work for you too is this:
I tried a silicon-based spray on the container I have for the interior plastic surfaces of my car, after cleaning the container completely beforehand. That has reduced static electricity to almost nil - and a much cleaner container after emptying it. I expect to have to repeat that procedure perhaps a couple of times per year... but it took me less that 15 minutes in all. So no biggie!
I am guessing a furniture product like Pledge or the like could do the trick as well. Silicon in that too.
Do remember to wipe the spray-on product completely off again. You don't want nasty, dusty gunk gathering in wet corners. It will work just the same, you are just treating the surface.

I would have given it a five-star rating without hesitation... was it not for the fact that now, more than one month after purchase, the UK and Danish Dyson Customer Service departments have still not decided upon (or responded to) my inquiry as to where I can register my product! Both online sites refuse my data. UK one because I am in Denmark - with a Danish post code. Danish one since I have a UK serial number on the product. I am stuck in limbo for now..... but I WILL get registered - one way or the other. I'll just call them till they get nervous ticks every time the phone rings... lol.

The product itself, wonderful!
Dyson Customer Service..... so far, that is a small village somewhere in Siberia. Let's see what happens.

In the meantime, I have a house completely free of dust bunny families and furry beings under the couch.... I was beginning to think my dog was secretly giving birth to a litter of puppies every other day and hiding them all over... Those days are over now! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vacuum I've ever owned!, 3 April 2009
Dawn Wylie - See all my reviews
I had two main criteria; easy to use on stairs and able to cope with my dog's copious hairs. This baby is fab for both - I obviously bought the Animal variety.

The main unit sits nicely on the stairs, very stable, enabling you to vacuum with ease and without pulling on the hose! The small head is a mini turbo head which does the job with the same suction as the main head. My last dyson just moved the dog hairs around until they were in a pile which I could then lift up. This gets rid of them easily. My stairs have never been so clean. It is also pretty light and compact to carry up and down stairs.

It comes with 3 heads which have to be stored separately, the only downside as far as I can tell so far. However it does have a short nozzle and dusting type attachments stored on the unit itself which is useful.

Also, you do have to empty it regularly (well at least I do!). I just take a bin bag round the house with me though. It is very simple to empty it.

All in all I would highly recommend this for anyone with lots of stairs or animal hair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 24 Oct. 2009
Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm so impressed with my DC23, I felt I had to write a review about it. First of all I spent AGES comparing the different Dyson models and finally opted for this because it looked compact and transportable. I then fretted some more because everyone I knew was lusting after the rollerball Dyson and I started to think I also should have bought it.

When it arrived the box was smaller than I expected and after unwrapping it I became seriously worried it was going to be too small to do the job, but I knew I had compared the models and that it had more sucking power and a bigger dust cylinder than the upright models, even if my eyes were telling me something else - so I carried on!

And after a month of ownership I can't rate it highly enough. The way it collapses down is beyond clever. It is very powerful and gobbles up everything and the cylinder (despite my initial concerns) is plenty big enough. The power lead is the longest I have come across on a vacuum, but of course stores away within the machine.

In short, it's everything I wanted and more and not (as you often hear about Dysons) "plasticy". If you are considering this model I would recommend it, but equally I would say don't worry too much about which model you buy. At the end of the day it's a Dyson and for that reason alone, you will never be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly effective, 26 July 2009
G. M. Petzl "Gaby" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Dyson Animal as an upgrade for my DC02 and as I now have 2 cats and was finding it really hard to get the cat hairs out of my carpets. I have to say that I am very impressed with the Dyson Animal. The two different sized brush heads are great, especially the smaller one, which vacuums up all the cat hairs without too much trouble at all. This Dyson is definitely worth the price tag and will make anyone who has pets lives easier.