5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 30 Jun 2008 by Mark Givens

3.0 out of 5 stars topspin
topspin3 is a very realistic tennis sim but i find that 2k7 spend to much time making the game look like a pretty woman and not enough time making the controls of the game easier to use for the player to get the grips with.
Published on 6 Mar 2011 by Owb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Jun 2008
Mark Givens - See all my reviews
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Ok guys this is what i am going to do, list all the things i think are pros and cons. Now before you read this take into account i am only listing the fairly obvious things and not things like the umpire does'nt look where the ball is going which some of you will probaly never notice. I will also rate the game in various departments and give my comments in those departments.

Pros- in no order

1.Player creater
2.Lots of different animations for your created player
3.Animations are very realistic and even the quickest of animations looks ultra smooth.
4.Gorgeous graphics
5.With the new way you hit the ball by holding the button before you've actually took your shot wants you get the hang of it it becomes second nature.
6.No more tedious mini games
7.The rigth analog for the serve & drop shots is a nice inovation.
8.Shopping mall feature is pretty cool.
9.Realistic sounds, as the ball comes off the court at different speeds it sounds harder or softer.
10.Career mode is nice and simple getting you straight into the heart of the action.
11.Very challening computer oppenents make the game very intense in tight situations.
12.The computer opponents actually make unforced errors.
13.Finally they found something to do with the bumper buttons and they are very welcome additions.
14.You can actually hit aces this time, and not just 1 in every 100 serves.
15.Risk shots are a lot more balanced.

Cons- in no order

1.Shortage of pro women players
2.Shortage of pro players in general but the promise of downloadable players eases the pain a bit.
3.Personally for me i like to know straight away how fast i hit my serve in stead of having to rely on a speed board which sometimes is'nt even in view. Hope fully they will patch this so you can see your serve speed or at least the option to see it.
4.Even though i like the challenging opponents sometimes you feel like you are playing against a brick wall and the rally will go on for ages even though it should have finished ages a go.
5.The tutorial's are a bit use less really because say for instance the drop shots are really easy in tutorial but the thing is you never really get the chance to play them at that pace in a competitive match.
6.Grand slams in career are only 3 sets and to make matters worse the 3rd set is a super tie brake, i mean come on 2k i know some people will probaly prefer it this way but what about the people who don't ? At least give us the option to choose next time.
7.No Wimbledon

Well thats about all for now on them, now what i'll do is rate the game in various departments like say IGN do.

GRAPHICS-9.3
Easily the best any tennis game has to offer and apart from Tiger Woods games this in my opinion is as good as any other sports game.

SOUND-8.2
Very realistic match sounds all round, the only thing that really bothers me is the irrataing music.

GAMEPLAY-9.6
All future tennis developers take note this is how tennis games should play.

LASTING APPEAL-9.5
Well i can see myself playing this very addictive game well into next year and with the prospect of online tournaments and downloadable content i am sure their will be plenty to keep me coming back.

OVERALL-9.4
Quite simply it is the best tennis game on the market and i am sure 2k won't have to worry about the game that like virtua tennis 3 is just looking like a graphical update with new players Smash court tennis 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game With A Few Issues., 23 Jun 2009
Mr. R. Fenton (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
So this is my first review so be gentle.
Let me start off by saying that Top Spin 3 is a great tennis game. 2K Sports are awesome at player likeness. I also have NBA 2K9 and when I play that game it's just like watching an actual basketball game it's that detailed. In NBA 2K9 each crowd member moves and some walk around, it's 2K's best game so far. But enough about that game and lets focus on Top Spin 3.
In terms of player likeness it's phenomenal, their hair bounces as they run back and forth to make a shot and even the onlookers look decent and are not your standard 2D pixilated characters, they've actually been done properly and look great. So in terms of visual graphics 10/10 it's great.

Gameplay is kind of slow, but in some ways realistic. In the game there are plenty of courts to choose from but no Wimbledon, there is a London court which makes do, but when are we going to see Wimbledon? One thing I will say is that it's so difficult to get an ace. Now I played Top Spin 2 and on that game it was easy and fun to get an ace, now on Top Spin 3, I've only seen on games forums and what not that people have had like 5/1000 attempts at getting successful aces, in my case either it's a fault or the player simply returns the shot. It's annoying when you're Federer because in real life he's always getting aces as do a lot of players Murray, Roddick etc. Gameplay for me is about 8/10.

That brings me on to the players. Everyone always says Nadal is the main issue, yeah it sucks he's not in the game, but there's plenty of other players to keep you busy. I'm just glad there's more than one player I know. It used to be on Tennis games Tim Henmen vs the world! And constantly using Tim was boring! So it's good to see players like Murray, Roddick, Federer, Ancic, James Blake and even legends Bjorn Borg, Boris Becker and Monica Seles. If you want Nadal I read somewhere you can download him, I think, but don't quote me on that! To be honest it'd be great to have him in the game but I don't miss him. Players 9/10.

Finally the controls. It's sort of straight forward but at times it's quite difficult. One thing about 2K sports is that they like to give the gamer a realistic experience which is awesome. In NBA 2K9 they make use of the right analogue stick a lot to make a basket depending on how long you hold it for. Similar to Top Spin 3, it's difficult to attempt to get an ace for a power serve you need to hold RT and to throw the ball in the air push down the right analogue stick, if you want to add some spin you need to spin the right stick counter clockwise 90 degrees and it ends up being a fault or the player returns it. It's quite difficult. During a rally you can attempt to go for a power shot and I've found it's 50/50 sometimes you win the point and it works and looks awesome on replay, other times it goes out and you lose the point. So for the controls which are quite difficult at times I'd give it 7/10 most of them are simple it's just adding a power serve back spin on it thats tricky.

Let me finish by saying this is the best tennis game on the market. I've seen gameplay for the Virtua Tennis (including the new 2009 one) and it just looks too arcadey for me. I like to play sports games that are as close and realistic to the sport as possible. Top Spin 3 is as close as the court you're going to get through gaming. They had it good with Top Spin 2, I miss getting aces! But Top Spin 3's graphics is just to die for, you could spend hours drooling over how great it looks.

Overall great game, great graphics, great selection of courts and players. The controls are quite difficult, obviously no Nadal, no Wimbledon (but there is a London court as mentioned above), difficult to get an ace. So the game is about 50/50. Tennis enthusiasts buy this game! If you're just wanting to have a quick, fun game check out Virtua Tennis. I'm glad I didn't pay full price, for 10 who can say no?

Overall I give this game 9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars topspin 3, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I think this game is really good in career mode as you can choose if you are left handed or right handed. It has fantastic graphics and is a really good challenge. My only real problem is that you can't get enough pro players including Nadal and Djokovic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and realistic game, 4 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As i always do before I buy a game i read the reviews and I have to say this did get some slandering. However I cannot see the reason for it. Okay sure there are some minor problems like the fact that there isn't technically a Wimbledon tournamnet just a London tournament, but still good. Also people have been complaining about a lack of Rafa Nadal well here's a simple and easy option; JUST CREATE HIM! Therefore you can level him up and modify him your way.

The player creater is really realistic. You can mould the face to how you want, and there are so many option's it really gives you a sence of yourself out on the tennis court. However I was slightly saddened when I didn't realise that the amount of fat you put on the player helped his weight increase or decrease! Okay my bad! Anyway my player is the lighest and skinniest player out there which i find rather funny.
You can play mixed doubles, singles and normal doubles in exebition however I'm yet to find out if this is do-able in tournament, yet I don't think so. One major thing that I find annoying is that I've created 4 players (the max amount) and wanted to play them against each other with the CPU controlling them and yet it would only let me be the created player. Look I don't know if this is new because I have only used Top Spin 1 and haven't used 3 and I think on 1 you could use both created players for the CPU.

People have been saying that the controls are rather hard; and well at first i found it hard to get to grips with it but within a few matches it was easy. The school is annoyingly hard so I haven't bothered doing that yet.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to do doubles tournamnets in either career or tournament mode! I mean I would love to do mixed doubles with my character and Sharapova!

Still a great game with amazing graphics, the sweat is very realistic. I would buy this for a cheap price a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars good game, 26 Aug 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
i play tennis a lot and this game is very realistic and very enjoyable, the controls are hard too and the computer at its highest difficulty makes the game a real challenge which in my opinion makes it a better game

5.0 out of 5 stars slowly bur surely..., 11 Jun 2009
Malherbe "reaper daddy" (frankfurt, germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
top spin 3 is not a game "plug and play"... to win you will have to practice, play, practice, play and practice again. The new gameplay take some time to learn and if you wanna win against the computer (which will always have much better stats than you), you'd better learn all the secrets and every tricks. After a while, when everything is learned, here will come the fun and the intense matches.
In top spin 3 when you win, its no matter of luck, you really deserve it and you can be proud of you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most realistic tennis game I've played, 24 Jun 2008
M. Kim "minsungkimuk" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I haven't played on previous Topspin series but last year I bought Virtua Tennis 3 (VT3), since it was the newest tennis game and I was dissapointed because it was too much of an arcade game rather than tennis game with realistic game play.
However, having played on Topspin 3, I was very impressed with many aspects of the game.

Graphics and Sounds- It is very realistic and also very detailed that it's almost as if you are watching tennis on TV.
For example, as the game progresses you can gradually see player's shirt getting wet from sweating. Also the sky suddenly changes (sunny to cloudy) during a match as well. Also when I was playing in US Open tennis court, I could even hear airplane flying by!!
In terms of player movement, it's very organic and smooth and 2K also applyed signiture moves to players so as an example, you will see Roddick's serve motion or Federer's swings as they would do in a real match.

Game Play- In terms of gameplay, it's much different from Virtua Tennis 3.
When you are taking any kind of shots, you need to get the timing correctly as well as trying to get your player in to right position in order to hit the best and accurate shot. If you slightly get the timing wrong or miss-position the player, the shot won't be as accurate and it might even not go over the net, where as in VT 3 it would almost guarantee that the ball would go over the net and stay inside the play. Also the rally tends to be shorter than VT 3 which would go on for minutes sometimes.

Along side the graphics and the gameplay, there are many other modes you can choose such as Create a player mode which you can sculpt the face anyway you want as well as being able to choose equipment from head to toe with various sports brand such as Nike, Adidas and Head.
The Career mode it's pretty good but unlike VT3, you aren't any drills or mini-games before a major tournament which means you have to gain skill points by winning tournaments.
Another great thing about this game is that there are plenty of tennis courts to choose from (school grass court to

However, the only downside of this game would be that there aren't many real-life players to choose from such as Nadal who's only available in PS3 version of this game. Also I think it's quite shame that Wimbldon center court is not in the game considering other major grand slam courts are in but it's still okay since there are other grass courts available in the game.

Overall, this game is extremely detailed and FUN also there are enough game modes to keep you entertained.
Even though it might be slightly challenging to master even for beginners, I would rather play on game which has more realistic gameplay rather than easy and more arcady game (Virtua Tennis 3). Therefore I would definitely recommend this game to any tennis fans or even general sports fans like my self.

4.0 out of 5 stars topspin 3, 15 Nov 2011
J. J. Carpenter "carpo" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
prompt delivery, would recommend person or company again, good game but i found very hard to control , well back to it , thankyou.

3.0 out of 5 stars topspin, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
topspin is strange game because you don t get a full tennis season like most tennis games i have played ,you get tornaments to play from amateur to profession ,that to me did not work well .i want a season ,that was a strange part of topspin3.... now i want to talk about the controls in the game they are too many buttons and that takes the fun from the game,i do not enjoy playing topsin3 and i would buy the game for a budget price like 9.99 but it is not worth 29.99 .
the tennis game that i am playing at this time would be smash court tennis3 that game beats topspin in the gameplay but not the graphics.i would say that topspin3 is a decent game but let down with the controls and not having a full tennis season,topspin3 has the best graphics in a tennis game but it is not fun to play because you feel that you dont have full control of your player....buy it pre owned in blockbusters

3.0 out of 5 stars Can be Frustrating at first !!!!!, 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Having been an avid fan of Topspin 1 and 2 I was eager to get my hands on Topspin 3 as the previous reviewer has mentioned it's not a simple pick up and play as was 1 and 2. I'm currently 5000 etc on the ranked matches of Topspin 2 online and on my first impressions of this game you might as well scrap everything you learnt on the previous games making the transission to this game abit frustrating at times due to the hold and release button I have played it for about 5 hours and went back to Topspin 2 for some fun I also played online with someone who had more xp points better power backhand etc and I found that you tend to have longer rallies and considering the vast experience the other player had with xp points it didnt seem to make much diffrence to me. To be fair this game is meant to be more realistic and on that side it is! probably like most people who will be reading these reviews they would have played previous Topspins and on that note will find the button change frustrating like me but as it ses in the manual persevere overall a quality game which i hope to master as i did previous in the series but i would recommend renting it before buying. I have given this game a 3 star rating for now and will update in a month or so when i can give a more unbiased review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Topspin 3 (Xbox 360)
Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) by Take 2 Interactive (Xbox 360)
3.97