5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Spiffing
The first thing I'll say is try to get a version with the bonus songs (Abnegation, Tilt and Eraser) as they are all valuable additions to an already brilliant album.

Published on 1 May 2009 by Chris

2.0 out of 5 stars Drab's The Word
Melodic Death Metal - Nu Metal - Metalcore ?

Who needs a lecture about genres and sub-genres ?

Having garnered much praise for their latest release The Wolf
was at least curious to explore 'A Sense Of Purpose' for himself.

The album adds or subtracts little from an already
grossly overwrought idiom.

Riffs are tired,...
Published on 10 Jun 2008 by The Wolf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Spiffing, 1 May 2009
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)

This album has a mixture of light songs such as the almost entirely acoustic "The Chosen Pessimist" and heavier songs like the fast paced "Drenched in Fear". This album is a must-buy for those who enjoyed the previous three albums (Come Clarity, Soundtrack to Your Escape and Reroute to Remain) as they have continued progressing down the path to be slightly more melodic and slightly less metal.

They still have a few heavy songs for the older fans of Colony and its kin, however, it's just that the people who like their newer stuff will like this album more than those who prefer their older songs.

Overall a very good album with a mix of songs, all of which I enjoy listening to very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars For old AND new!!!!!, 25 May 2009
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
This album is in my opinion one of their best releases since Reroute to Remain, with big sounds and impactful vocals and guitars. Every song has a different feel to it, and if you listen to the album right through, you can especially understand how great this album is. you can really get into the songs. This album is instantly enjoyable to listen to, but with every listen you discover something new. It shares similar styles from older albums such as colony, as well as new albums like Come Clarity.

This album has great depth, and has alot to offer for new and old fans of In flames.

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows perfectly on you. Don't diss it, 13 Mar 2009
Anne O'neill - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
Firstly I'd like to say THIS ISN'T WHOREACLE ANYMORE! People who say In Flames were ruined by Ander's clean singing should know that I respect their opinoins and I do like the older stuff aswell but the band are a lot older now and are experimenting with knew things so don't complain about something that you can't help. Tell In Flames themselves if you think that they should change back to the old style.

Anyway this was the first In Flames album I ever bought and I loved it. It can go from brutally heavy to beautifull melodic in seconds. Songs like Alias, Drenched in Fear, The Mirrors Truth and Disconnected are my favourites but the long and acoustic The Chosen Pessimist is wonderfully open and is very addictive.If you are knew to In Flames and the idea of melodic death metal I think its best to start with the most recent and work your way down to The Jester Race. This album shows the new In Flames style and melody and is as mature as the band have become. Some of the lyrics however are not up to some other of In Flames albums standard.

Finally great album and can't wait till I see them sometime next month.

In Flames We Trust

2.0 out of 5 stars Drab's The Word, 10 Jun 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose (Audio CD)
Melodic Death Metal - Nu Metal - Metalcore ?

Who needs a lecture about genres and sub-genres ?

Having garnered much praise for their latest release The Wolf
was at least curious to explore 'A Sense Of Purpose' for himself.

The album adds or subtracts little from an already
grossly overwrought idiom.

Riffs are tired, stale and cliched. Melodic and lyrical content
is beyond banal. Guitar solos are bland, hackneyed and predictable.

Mr Friden's vocals in particular are unvarying in tone and delivery
to an extremely irritating degree.

Mr Svensson's drum skills are, for my money, the only element
in this damnedly drab project worthy of praise (and then only just).

Mind Numbingly Dull.

Afterthought - The line "I feel like s*** but at least I feel something"
in 'Disconnected' did raise an empathic titter.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Flames,a totally brilliant album and band, 18 July 2009
A. Maughan (Letchworth,Herts,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
Again this was a present for my husband and we both really loved it!! Definitely worth the money and one album we will both listen to again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars the first signs of a weakness in many a year, 10 Jun 2008
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
In flames have certainly been accused in recent years of becoming predicatble but when you release solid slabs of metal with keyboards,punchy and memorable chorus' then we dont really have much to complain about then.
This album,their ninth is more of the same then,but doesnt have the same underlying qualities that made 2006s come clarity something of a wee gem,i could keep going back and comparing this to all their albums and it wouldnt win too many battles but thats unfair,this still has some great tracks,but the dreaded word 'filler' has started to rear its ugly head.
The first 5 tracks are all powerful and well written and dont need to shy away from anyone,its track 6 and 7 that just reek of average,they really do,very hard to take a liking too,and before you go mad,i have listened to this album plenty since its release 2 months ago.
The eight minute track 'the chosen pessimist' finds anders wanting to be thom yorke of radiohead and he does fine and the song which is new enough territory for the band is very good indeed,they can do tracks like that all they want from here on in should they wish.
The next track 'sober and irrelevant' is superb,'condemned' is very average,'drenched in fear' is very good and the album closer is something in between,sounding good and yet not.
When in flames strike the nail on the head they do it as good as anyone,but here they also let a few unwelcome tracks onto the release,they have lost their consistencey for once in a good few years and while its forgivable i cant up the album review on that basis,3.5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars This CD DOESN'T have a sense of purpose., 10 Dec 2008
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
I've liked old In Flames for quite a few years now, and their last few albums have been rather disappointing. The riffs are repetitive, the tonality of the record just doesn't really have any change in vibe. seems that 'we're not even trying', a line from 'The Mirror's Truth' is wholly true! I saw them at Download Festival 08; this year, and i only heard 1 track from this album, thats saying something. debut stuff and early work is superior to this piece of ****, i don't mind a bit of commercial stuff, but make it decent ffs....

4.0 out of 5 stars Best if you forget it's actually In Flames, 15 July 2008
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose + DVD (Audio CD)
I was debating whether to buy this album for a while but sucumbed the other day. I'm a big fan of the In Flames of yore and their changing music style in the past few albums have not really suited me...they have not been my ultimate in In Flames material (I'm a fan of their old stuff, Whoracle, Colony etc.). I did like Soundtrack to your Escape, in it's own different way and I was somewhat ok with Come Clarity, however it was rarely my listening material of choice. I decided to get this album and boy I'm glad I did.

First listen I decided it was rubbish and 'what have In Flames come to? What were they thinking?'. However, after a few listens I have come to the conclusion that this album is very good. It is not 'classic' In Flames material by any means, however it is a solid album of strongly melodic songs - songs you could actually sing to (if you so wished). I find it a dark album, which I like. And it works very well AS A WHOLE. I feel there are no instant classics on here, or tracks worthy of note - they are all good - TOGETHER.

I think if i was to put this on shuffle along with other In Flames material the songs of this album would blend into insignificance. However, as a whole they work perfectly.

My message would be: buy this album, listen to it through a few times, FORGET IT IS IN FLAMES, or think of them as a new In Flames, then you'll be pleased you bought it. I sure am glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Great, cannot fault

4.0 out of 5 stars Good band, good album!, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: A Sense Of Purpose (Audio CD)
My second favourite album from the band In Flames, but when I got the CD the case was cracked so I just replaced this but I would have liked to have been able to keep the original, would have given 5 stars if I had not had this problem. Overall a very good buy and I will be listening to it again and again for a long time to come!
Thank you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Sense Of Purpose + DVD
A Sense Of Purpose + DVD by In Flames (Audio CD - 2008)