5.0 out of 5 stars KITT probably had something similar
In the box you get the Loc8tor receiver, two transmitter tags, two loops for attaching the tags to keyrings, and a few pieces of sticky plastic for sticking the tags to things and for attaching the receiver unit to something when not in use.

Published on 30 Dec 2009 by Mr. Mischief

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing...
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by Jimbob036

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing..., 11 Dec 2011
Jimbob036 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
I bought one of these for my cat, who's gone missing a couple of times recently, for several days in a row. The unit arrived quickly enough, and it was easy to set up & link the tags to the controller. I ordered one of the splashproof silicone tag holders from the Loc8tor website (I was surprised to find that Amazon don't sell them) to attach a tag to my cat's collar, and she doesn't seem to mind the extra addition. The other tag, I placed in my car so that I could locate it more easily in car parks. The handset can handle an additional 2 tags, which can be bought separately.

The tags are small and light, and pretty problem-free. I had a couple of minor problems with the handset though- firstly, the magnetic strip on the back of the bracket came unstuck suddenly, and the locator fell off the fridge. The battery came out when it hit the floor, but fortunately, nothing broke. I super-glued the strip back to the bracket. I also thought the side buttons on the handset were a bit fiddly- particularly the volume (left) and on/off (right) buttons. Neither one is labelled, so you have to remember what each button does. The other thing which would improve the handset, would be an eyelet so that a lanyard could be attached. Another problem I had was that when I was actually using the unit to try & find my cat, it kept switching itself off in mid search & going into standby mode. Ideally, it would be nice if it stayed on while being used, until I switched it off.

So, has this gadget helped to find my cat? Yes & no- if she's nearby (within about 30-100m) & on fairly open ground, it works well. You press the button corresponding to the particular tag, point the unit around, and it beeps when it has located the signal. As you get closer, the pitch rises, and more LEDs light up on the display. When you're really close, the tag itself starts beeping & flashing (I wonder what my cat must think of this?) but this is somewhat obscured if the tag is enclosed in a silicone pouch.

But it's very sensitive to walls & other objects between the handset & the tag, so when my cat's been further away & I've had to go searching round the neighbourhood, I havn't been able to locate her at all. So, in summary I'd say it's probably better to have one of these fitted to your cat than not, as it might be helpful, but it's not guaranteed to work every time.

Since I fitted the tag to my cat, she's decided to stay indoors most of the time, and hasn't been going AWOL quite so often- but that's cats for you! I havn't used it to locate my car yet, because I keep forgetting to take the handset with me when I go out..

July 2012- I've just had to change the batteries in both tags (each one takes 2 SR54 (or SG10) Silver Oxide button cells), so I can confirm that they last about 7 months. Opening up the tags is fiddly, and involves insering a knife edge into the crack around the unit, and prising gently apart, whereby the tag pops open. Replacing the batteries & closing the tag is straightforward, and once closed correctly it will beep and the LED will flash. You need to re-register a tag after replacing its battery, and this needs to be done pretty quickly after closing up the tag.

The handset takes a single CR2032 Lithium cell, and I've just had to replace this battery as well- so it lasts about 8 months. The handset remembers the tags registered to it after replacing the battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars KITT probably had something similar, 30 Dec 2009
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)

The receiver is a hand-held device a bit bigger and thicker than a credit card that has volume and power buttons on the side and four tag buttons on the front. There is also a small power light and a series of signal strength lights on the front. The tags are each about the size of a Murray Mint and both they and the receiver come with batteries pre-installed.

To use the Loc8tor Lite you simply turn it on (using the power button, obviously), place one of the tags in close proximity to it then hold down one of the four buttons on the front of the receiver to pair the tag with that particular button. When you want to find that particular tag you simply press the button you paired it to and the receiver will `bleep' and the signal strength lights will light up when it has located the tag. The `bleeping' will become faster and more lights will light up as you point the front of the receiver in the direction of the tag and move towards it, conversely the sound will slow and the lights will go out as you move the front of the receiver away from the tag.

The whole thing reminds me of those homing beacon things you used to see in 80's action shows, although I don't think they actually worked for real. The Loc8tor Lite is one of those strange gadgets that will either work brilliantly, or not at all, and I'm very pleased to say that it seems to work very well indeed. Unlike most of the other reviewers I didn't buy a Loc8tor Lite to find my cat, as I don't have one. I bought the Loc8tor for my dad who loses his keys on almost a daily basis, and even when said keys are still in the car 30 yards away the Loc8tor Lite finds them without any problem.

The only negative points I can see with the Loc8tor Lite are that you only get two tags with it and said tags, although rubberised, could be damaged on a keyring if you're not careful. Also, you would have to take care to make sure the tags' batteries never run down as it would be very frustrating to find out that they had run out just when you needed them. Both points to note, but neither would stop me from recommending the Loc8tor Lite to anybody who might be prone to losing their keys, cats or other precious items.

3.0 out of 5 stars An electronic dowsing rod!, 14 July 2010
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 1:28 Mins

In the package you get 2 tags with loops for attaching to keyrings etc., the loc8tor lite and a bracket with an adhesive pad so the loc8tor can be attached to a fridge, for example.
Firstly you need to register the tags to the loc8tor, it can support up to 4, this is fairly simple to do. The loc8tor has 2 unmarked switches, the one on the right is the on-off and the left one is the volume. Press and hold the on-off until a small red LED flashes and then press the button corresponding to the tag you wish to locate. Once located the tag flashes, however the audio tone it emits is a very high frequency and I could only hear it by holding it to my ear!
In testing I found I could locate tags over about 88 feet.
In the video I've tried to show how it works, I've also compared the tag size against the Smartfinder, which performs a similar function and is much cheaper. My mother is 91 and needs to locate items she has misplaced and the Smartfinder with it's simple operation and loud bleeper is much more suitable for that application; the un-marked buttons on the loc8tor lite and the lack of a clear audio tone from the tags make it difficult to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom line - It found my cat., 20 July 2009
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
Having lost two cats in as many years, I was in the market for a device to ensure that it wasn't "third time unlucky". I originally looked at something four times as expensive, but opted for this.

The reviews seemed favourable, although I noted that one person's "Loc8tor" had died after only a week - probably due to rain. With this in mind, I wrapped it in a small piece of plastic and secured it with one of those metal ties they used for freezer bags.

It's important to play with the device a little at first - maybe get someone to hide one of the tags. The first time I tried it, it took some time to realise that it had either switched itself off after a while or I hadn't switched it on properly.

When it came to looking for the cat (which we did three times on the first day after receiving the Loc8tor) it succeeded every time. We didn't get a signal immediately, but I walked around the block until it beeped and then I followed the signal from there to a bush in which our treasured moggy was hiding. Bear in mind, of course, that the range isn't outstandingly long and that you will still need to walk around a bit in order to get a signal. Nevertheless, this made the search much, much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loc8tor is GR8!, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
I purchased the Loc8tor to find my cat. To be honest I was not expecting much for the money. But I was pleasantly surprised. It is small enough to fit onto a collar and it actually works! I have tracked her down every single time in thick undergrowth and woodland up to a range of about 100ft away. It is simple to operate too. Overall I would say if you worry where your pet disappears to then this is the product for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless due to tags draining batteries rapidly, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
After purchasing my Loc8tor I tried it out, and the base unit wouldn't pick up the tags at all. I returned it to the shop, and they found that the batteries supplied with the tags were flat. They gave me a new set, all of which drained within 12 hours, so I purchased a fresh set from a national chain of electronics stores, and they went flat within a day. These silver cell batteries aren't cheap! A tag attached to a pet is no use at all if the battery is dead, and there's no way to check battery life other than either activating the tag, which wastes power, or taking the battery out and checking it with a multimeter. If you do use one, and your pet goes missing, get out there and start searching before the battery dies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 24 Oct 2009
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
This is an absolutely brilliant product. We bought one for our kitten Dougal after he ran out of the front door and became lost. We spent a whole day searching for him and even gave posters out to the neigbours. When we found him the following morning shivering and frightened in the next door neighbours garden, we realised that we couldn't bear to go through the trauma of losing him again. The cat loc8tor has been brilliant. We've found him locked in airing cupboard, hiding under the stairs and in the garden. He's still a kitten and very adventurous and a few days ago he managed to climb over the neigbours fence but wasn't able to get back out. Luckily we managed to find him straight away hiding under some potted plants because it was pouring with rain. If we hadn't had the loc8tor he probably would have been there for days. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone who has a cat or a kitten!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful device - could be improved, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
I bought one of these some time ago as a solution to the regular panic sessions I used to have over losing my wallet (with credit cards, driving license etc., etc.), car keys, phone and so on. I should say right away that by and large it's been a great success and has saved me many frantic searches. The great thing is that after activating a search, it quickly starts beeping to reassure you that the lost item is somewhere nearby, and not (as I always imagine) left at the supermarket, dropped down a drain, stolen or whatever! Finding the object (provided it's static) is then just a game of warmer, colder until it comes to light.

With two extra tags at 25 the pair it's quite an expensive item, and I was worried it would be like several similar, but cheaper devices I've bought over the years, i.e. work for a few months before falling to bits, or simply dying. Happily though, the tags have survived some fairly rough treatment - attached to my keys and so on - for over two years now and they're all still working, as is the locator itself - full marks as far as it goes!

My main criticism is that there's no easy way of knowing when the batteries in the tags are flat - they simply stop working (or worse become erratic). The only way is to test them regularly by activating each one in turn with the locator. Also replacing them when they are flat, is quite a fiddly job. The tags have to be removed from whatever object they are attached to, and then the two halves prized apart (like opening an iPod) with a blunt knife, spudger or some such instrument. There's no way I could open them with my thumbnail as suggested in the manual! The two button cells should then be replaced with silver oxide SR54s, not the cheap alkaline LR54s that they come with - these only last a week or two. The silver oxide cells should last a year or more with normal use.

So 4 out of 5 - but could do better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loc8tor used for cat tracking/location, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
The product is very good it is well made and generally works well. I purchased it for finding our cats in a large garden and woodland, I have found that it works over a range of 100ft in open areas. However as the manufacturers say the tags are not sealed so right from the start I have been wrapping the tags in cling film then taping to their collars which keeps the tag dry but has to be checked regularly as they can tear the film when they scratch.
However after two weeks I started having a few problems with the tags failing, first couple of times opening the case and closing again was sufficient to re-seat the batteries and start them working again but on one of the tags I have now found that one of the two batteries in each tag, has gone flat so either a defective battery or a fault with the tag which I have yet to confirm.
Based on this experience I feel the tags are not as reliable as I would have hoped and each tag really needs to be checked before the cats go out each day to ensure the tags are working to minimise this issue. However when it is working it is very good and enables much quicker search and location of the cats focussed in the right area.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I've ever made. Fantastic., 7 Aug 2014
GDD (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loc8tor Lite (Electronics)
This has got to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Since fitting the tags to our two female cats we have been able to find them in all their hiding places, near and far, within minutes and this has taken away so much worry. I recommended it to a friend who has also bought a set and has the same opinions. We are sleeping much better now that we can locate our cats and bring them in when needed. It's been a constant worry for years.

The range isn't what it's claimed to be. I'd say 30 - 40 yards maximum, in clear line of sight. At shorter distances however it will read through solid walls. For that reason I'd be inclined to say its usefulness may not extend to some tom cats who can roam for up to a mile at night.

The chirping sound each tag makes is useful though as is the flashing light which makes it very easy to see little furries hiding in bushes late at night.

We've fitted these to our cats collars using stronger rings from old key-rings because we were concerned that those supplied were a bit flimsy looking and also quite small which could lead to the tags finishing up in odd positions on their collars and maybe being uncomfortable. With the larger rings they always hand down under their throats where they're supposed to be. The tags are as light as a feather so the cats don't even notice they're there - until they start chirping and certainly in the case of our youngest (who is a roof climber) they seem to encourage her to come in straight away.

As for waterproofing: we haven't bought the waterproof covers yet because they looked as if they were a bit muckle and would change the way we fasten the tags to their collars. This was on the basis too that the tags are hidden underneath the cats and in our case in long fur. Both cats have come in once or twice quite wet since being fitted and it hasn't done the tags any harm. We may reconsider that in the winter.

If you have female cats I would say buy this kit. It will lift a load of worry off your mind if your cat is out for too long and you can pick up the locator handset and find them within minutes.

One other thing: another user has mentioned about the little holder which comes supplied with a stick-on fridge magnet and falls off, leaving you with everything on the cold hard floor of the kitchen. It happened to us too. I e-mailed the manufacturer and they admitted this has happened a few times but deny it is a design flaw. In any case save yourself the risk and use a bit of good contact adhesive to stick the magnet to the golder. It'll save you the problem in the long run. The little detector is too light to sustain any damage in my opinion but I wouldn't take the chance. I'm assured that sticking it on doesn't invalidate the warranty.

Loc8tor Lite