4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Chronicles Strikes Back
Published on 7 April 2008 by gill_p

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, not enough game time
I bought this hoping for a genuine FF experience. Im no stranger to the Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube so it wasent the gameplay that let me down, but there was definatly something lacking... so now less than three days after buying it, im sat here without a game to play and minus £30. its too easy, completed it within about 8 hours and then most of the game is filled...
Published on 24 Mar. 2008 by Chris Ryder

4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Chronicles Strikes Back, 7 April 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Having played, the original gamecube version; I was greatly pleased with the new DS update of the game. However, it provides something much more fun and enjoyable than its predecessor. The Gamecube's Crystal Chronicles featured a character of the player's choice visiting a series of dungeons in order to access more dungeons. The characters development system was particurely dislikable due to the fact that the only way you could boost your character's stats; was to obtain an item at the end of each dungeon. These items would do things like 'boost attack by 1'; not a good way to level up and increase attributes. The game also seemed to lack a proper story with the only ressemblance to an actual plot (which the Final Fantasy games are so famous for) was a brief message every 3 dungeons.
Ring of Fates is completely different from the original. You play as Yuri; a young clavat who begins as a child but as the story goes on; he grows up. The story contains fantastic graphic cutscenes and develops into something much more dark than the gamecube original. A memorable cast features the 'young at heart' litlie; Meeth and the selkie who fails to grasp any part of the plot; named Gnash. There are 4 playable characters; each from one of the original tribes and they all have their own special skills. Admittedly, the controls for some of them do not work as well as others (Meeth's pot particurely) but the game can be completed despite this. The best new feature is the inclusion of a levelling system in which you gain experience by defeating enemies. The whole game is played out in real time as in the original.
Finally, the replay value. There is actually a completely different mode which is basically the same as the original Crystal Chronicles. You explore dungeons (levelling up) and there is also a chance to complete missions with friends who own the game. You can create your own 8 characters to attempt this mode with. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you will have 3 friends to play it with and so it is hard to advance far on the missions. There is also a Story + and a Story ++ each with their own features and a secret dungeon to conquer.
Overall, the game measures up to be a good game and I give it 4 stars out of 5 stars. From the secret moogle shop in Rebena Te Ra to the many many bosses you can fight; there is lots to discover and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 2 May 2008
S. Millman (Wales) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I hadn't actually played the original Crystal Chronicles before buying this game, as I don't own a gamecube - so in terms of how it compares to the first game, I can't comment.
However, in my opinion this is the best Final Fantasy game on the DS so far. The graphics are beautiful, even in-game, and the gameplay is fun and easy to understand and grasp. Despite it's length, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Only two things let this game down - firstly, the voice acting, which was extremely grating after a while. There's only a certain amount of baby voices I can stand, and the first couple of cutscenes had me muting the sound a couple of seconds in. Secondly, the use of the touch screen. After playing Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and seeing the innovative ways it had you useing the touch screen, I couldn't help feeling that this game was a bit of a missed opportunity. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was fun and much more engaging than FFIII, but it would've been greatly enhanced and a lot more fluid by using the stylus a little more.
Despite this, Ring of Fates is certainly worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Addition to The Crystal Chronicles Series, 25 Jun. 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The Final Fantasy series is one of the most popular games of it's kind. It also houses countless spin offs, The Crystal Chronicles series is one of them.Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates is the newest addition to the series the story centres around the fraternal love between twins Yuri and Chelinka who lose their mother, they go on a journey and meet a whole host of interesting and unique characters.My first impressions of this was that I knew I was gonna enjoy this (alot more than FFIII, which I do love but thought was too slow)with the custom-made weapons which made it alot more fun and the graphics are amazing even the music is pretty good.The bad parts, even though you have 3 other characters fighting with you, they don't always fight I was on the first 'Fish' boss and all they did was stand there or fall in the water so I guess the AI needs to be tweeked also the set locations kinda bugged me, I mean it's cool in Final Fantasy Tactics because well, it's a tactical RPG but with this game theres only about 6 or 7 places you can actually visit.While I did love the game and completed it in just under 10 hours I felt it was quite short and the gameplay was very "Gauntlet" not that I mind button-mashing I just felt the bosses seemed to get easier and easier like the final boss!. But I do love the game and will play it around again.
I would recommend it to the younger gamer as in all honesty the story isn't as crucial as you'd think, there was parts where'd I'd skip the cut scenes and still know where to go and what to do.

Graphics: 10/10

Story: 6/10

Gameplay: 7/10

Extras: 7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, 16 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game having only previously played a Crystal Chronicles installment on the GameCube. I had enjoyed the GC version although I didn't find it to be particularly special for any reason, so I didn't have too high hopes for Ring of Fates. But the second I put the catridge into my DS, I was proved wrong!! ...SO WRONG!!! This game is a typical hack n' slash, with a fairly good amount of dungeons filled with monsters to battle your way through. You can upgrade your weapons and cast magic spells on the monsters, all with the hopes of defeating them and making your way to the next dungeon. Although this process sounds as though it should be tedious, it is in fact made to be a huge amount of fun with fully 3D levels that you can explore as you figure out puzzles and destroy foes and bosses.

The only downside I can find to this game is that it is fairly short, with around eight dungeons, and the main quest will most likely not take you too long to complete. However once this is done, you can take part in a number of sidequests and also redo the game on a harder level, both of these things going some way to extending the longevity of the game. Even taking this into account, I would highly recommend this game because it is extremely fun and a great addition to your DS game collection!!!! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars The Crystal Chronicles Continue, 8 Mar. 2008
S. Walker "starwarsdave" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is not actually a direct continuation of the GameCube game, but is set in a similar world.

Two twins who have lost their mother years previously set out from home with friends for adventure. They don't stray too far at first, but one stormy night, something terrible happens. They suffer a terrible loss, though their bond grows stronger.

On their journey they will make new friends, despatch many monsters, use magics, and try to set the world right.

In the game you have a party of up to four characters and battle monsters in real-time. The DS's touch screen is used for special abilities such as mixing elements into spheres and targeting enemyies.

I gave the game 4/5 overall as it has an interesting and original storyline, seemlingly endless combinations of equipment and is highly playable. However, it can be frustrating to play due to the level design, and you'll find your companions play only a minor role in combat, usually dying constantly. It multiplayer mode it is more interesting, but it can only be played locally not over the internet thus limiting the options there.

I enjoyed it and will definitely be playing through it again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 12 Mar. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have got to say, this is the second Final Fantasy DS game I have played (I started III and couldn't quite get into it, however gonna have another bash at that) and I wasnt really expecting much from Rings of Fate.

But right from the power button being swtiched on I was impressed. First suprise "Voice Acting!" I prefer voice acting in games as my eye sight is not so good. Ok its not all voice acted but hey.

I managed to complete this game in 12 hours and like i say I found it quite enjoyable - this is also my first crystal chronicles game so cant wait to play echoes of time.

All in all, buy this game, the only thing its missing is Cid and Chocobos?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Sept. 2013
This item was for my disabled son who loves these types of games played it eversince he recieved it thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Fantasy Ring of Fates, 2 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is potentially a must have for all Final Fantasy fans.

Final Fantasy Ring of Fates proves to be a great original game to a series. A group based RPG with different playable characters, eash one skilled in a different area.

A brilliant storyline with cute characters, great audio, 3D and Fun puzzels.
Reccomended for adults as well as children.

5.0 out of 5 stars final fantasy, 7 Aug. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
im a big fan of the final fantasy so this game was a nice little filler till ffxiii comes out the same ff magic just in a smaller game fun 2 play

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting game, 11 Mar. 2013
I liked the graphic of the game first of all. Plus, I really enjoyed the game much. It is a recommendable game.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (Nintendo DS)