Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 8 May 2014
We've used the CARES harness on our 2 children many times between the ages of 1 and 4. When we use it on the aircraft we use it with the Trunki BoostApak, which works really well.

- Much safer than just using a lap belt or a (very unsafe) loop belt.
- Very portable compared to a car seat
- Certified and accepted by all airlines we use
- Sturdy and well made
- Holds it's value well for selling on once the kids are older

- Cannot be used on some shapes of seat
- Cannot be used on seats with thin seat backs (though we were allowed to use it by the pilot as it was deemed to be safer then him being on my lap)
- Better when they are seated a little higher, we use it with a travel booster seat
- The airlines should provide these! But in the meantime I will always choose to keep my child safe.

The CARES Harness increases the safety when travelling with kids under 5. I feel very strongly about infants and children being safely restrained in an aircraft the same way they are in a car. This is the most portable way to secure them in the aircraft. Personally I think all airlines should be forced to provide the same level of safety for children as adults. Have you seen fight club and remember the car recall calculation? It's the same thing unfortunately. If you're reading this though, you're smart enough to be considering your childs safety... well done! ;)
on 22 March 2009
Excellent product. A must for all parents travelling with toddlers to five year old. Why do the airlines not rent this product on flights or even have it on the plane for parents to use. A must for child safety. Have now used this on six flights and my granddaughter loves being able to sit by herself. We have used it on British Airways and all the crews had been given briefings on it and were pleased to see it in use. Other airlines such as Easy Jet, Ryan Air, BMI and Monarch need to allow parents to use it as it is so much safer than a lap belt or attacment to an adults seat belt.

I have read the review about the need for a leg strap but this is probably a safety issue.The system still holds the child more securely than an adult belt especially during turbulence and in the event of an accident is less likely to cause injury to the child. A rolled blanket under the chids knees or a wateproof backed mat to sit on works great. Having to readjust the seat back retraining strap during flight has never been an issue, is it being put on properly to start with. Adjusting the harness itself on the child before using it on the plane works well
on 5 January 2010
A complete and utter waste of time. The device is badly designed and defeats its own purpose. I rarely review on these sites, but I would hate to see someone else waste their money.

The main problem is that because it has no strap that comes up between the legs, our 2 year old child constantly slid down the seat. We tried to use cushions/blankets underneath him but it made no difference. On one occasion I looked down and he was almost fully on his back, flailing him arms and legs in discomfort, and in this position had actually managed to get both arms out of the restraint.

When my son slid down even slightly, the belt that crosses his chest would cut across his neck under his chin, making it a potential strangulation hazard. With the lights off on the plane overnight, i was constantly worried and kept checking his neck. I would guess that we adjusted his position every 15-20 minutes - far from ideal.

Secondly, the strap that goes around the back of the seat would not hold tight. It constantly came loose and I had to reach around to tighten it. With an unfriendly person behind you, this would be very inconvenient on a long haul flight.

My last comment is simple. The harness is badly thought out. Anyone who has tried to sleep in an economy airline seat knows that to you get comfortable you must turn slightly to the side to combat the lack of seat pitch. The harness holds the child flat against the back of the seat, so they just can't get comfortable at all. If they do manage to fall asleep, then their head just hangs forward causing them to wake up constantly in discomfort.

Good in theory, useless in practice. If you are really worried, then use the money to buy a cheap and light carseat.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2013
We bought this to travel from the UK to the USA with my son, who was 18 months at the time. It is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit and saved us lots of hassle since we didn't have to mess with lugging a car seat around the airport. We had no problems with airline staff or other passengers and got a lot of comments like, "Wow! That's neat!" on all of our flights. The only 'down side', as others have said, is that there is nothing between the child's legs to stop him sliiiiiiiding down in his seat, but we used a pillow to wedge him in and this was ok. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone travelling with a child. What a brilliant idea!!
on 9 March 2010
I have been flying with my two kids since they were both 4 months old. We used car seats at the begining but as soon as they were old enough we started using the CARES harness. There is no doubt that a hard backed car seat is the safest way for your child to travel but carrying 2 car seats through the airport while travelling alone with 2 toddlers is next to impossible. The CARES harness offers the only suitable solution. It offers the child the same level of safety that the carseat does.

I have read the reviews about the leg strap and I can understand the wish for that strap to be there but even without the strap this harness goes a long way in protecting your child. The lap belt is designed for adult use and is situated so that during impact or turbulance the belt restrains you while resting accross your upper legs/lower pelvic region. During turbulance a child using the same belt will have one of 2 possible outcomes. 1. The belt will not restrain the child at all and the child will be ejected from the seat which can obviously be fatal. 2. The belt will restrain the child accross their upper pelvic area or stomach. Although the child is restrained the pressure from the belt can cause severe internal damage, broken pelvis etc.

The harness is not perfect of course, but currently it is the only available alternative to carrying a car seat. There are extra benefits for using the harness over a car seat .... the child sits back in the seat so they can't kick the seat in front, the tray table can be used for snack, play area etc. It is small and lightweight (I carry one in each pocket) and installs in seconds. It also means you have a lot more space once you are in your seats either for installing while boarding or just for comfort inflight. I suggest neck support pillows for when the children sleep and the use of pillows or blankets to try to pad the seat a little for more comfort.

Overall this is a great product and I recommend it to all my friends. We never fly without it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2010
We used this for the first time on a flight from UK to Boston with our 2.5 year old. He did slip down the seat every now and then but he did manage to sleep for almost the entire flight. We found this worked very well with the 'Trunki' Yondi neck pillow, which stopped him slipping a bit, and helped him sleep alot. On the whole a good product, it would be better with a strap between the legs but I imagine they haven't done this due to FAA rules on passengers needing to get out of their seats quickly.
on 11 October 2011
Just got back from flying BA and had a last minute dilemma as we realized our daughters car seat would not fit into the plane seat.
We bought this and so glad we did. We actually had the cabin crew watching us strap our daughter it as they had not yet seen it. Took seconds to set up very easy to use. Would recomened the product without hesitation. The price on amazon for this is a lot more competative than the high street.
on 18 November 2010
I purchased this item on the recommendation of a friend. I would also recommend it without hesitation. We do a significant amount of travelling - both short flights of 1-3 hours and long haul of 9-15 hours with two small children. I have used CARES for my 3 year old and for my 1 (almost 2) year old. I did not find that either child "slipped down" in the seat as posted in some reviews. Both my children are strong enough to sit up straight so perhaps that is the reason?
It is simple to install and I did not have any problems requesting the person behind us to lower their tray table to set it up. Both children felt secure and comfortable and were able to reach their tray table for meals and play.
I far prefer this product to travelling with car seats (which we have also done!). It is easier through the airport and then there is more room on the seats and also it prevents my children from kicking the seat in front which they were able to reach from the height of their car seats.
For sleeping in the CARES, I recommend a neck pillow to stop the child from having their head falling to one side.
The best part of this product for me was that it contained my 18 mth old from running around on the airplane.
The crew on all flights are very interested in CARES - most of them have never seen it and they all love it. I've even had the Captain come and look at it on two flights! They are all impressed!
on 24 January 2011
I bought this product for my 21 month old son to use on a flight from London, UK to Sydney, Australia as I was travelling alone with a 4 year old and the 21 month old. We flew with Cathay Pacific from London to Hong Kong. When we boarded the flight the cabin crew didn't seem to know anything about these restraints and told me I couldn't use it during take-off or landing. I tried to explain that that is exactly when it designed to be used but they insisted it didn't have FAA approval for their new seats so I would have to have him sit on my lap. The new style of seats have a fixed shell at the back of the seat. When the seat reclines the seat base slides forward and the backrest reclines within the shell so it was almost impossible to slip the belt over the back of the seat because the shells were fixed tightly together. Also the seat backs were deeply curved so the belt did not sit against the back when tightened so he couldn't put his head back against the seat because the belt was in the way. This made it very uncomfortable for him. We changed aircraft in Hong Kong and the cabin crew were familiar with the CARES belts and were happy for me to use it but they have a new kind of lapbelt with an airbag fitted to it which made it too thick for the CARES loops to fit over. The cabin crew were also concerned about how it would interfer with the airbag in an emergency but since I couldn't even fit the belt it was irrelevant and I still couldn't use it. All in all, the belt is a good idea if you are on old planes and the crew let you use it but for me it was a complete was of money and basically useless. I couldn't really recommend this product based on my experience.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2013
I bought this when my daughter was 10 months old. We travel quite a bit (long haul, 8 hours plus) and use it ALL THE TIME. If she wasn’t in the restraint she would want to get out of her seat but this provides a safe and secure way for her to stay in her seat. She is now 3 years old (about 30lbs) and still uses it.