Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
I should clarify my headline: some songs are strange, and some addictive. Compared to Life Is People, Bill Fay's recent album, recorded some 40 years after this one, this is a more uneven affair. The outstanding pieces include 'Inside the Keeper's Pantry', 'Pictures of Adolf again', and 'Time of the Last Persecution', with the highlight being the haunting, wholly addictive 'I Hear You Calling', which are worth the price of the album on their own.

Other tracks are less memorable, such as the pedestrian 'Omega Day', or feature Ray Russell's guitar going into warp drive, as in 'Come a Day'. Interestingly, the album was recorded, amazingly, in a single day, which helps temper my criticism somewhat. Unlike Bill's first album, or his recent one, this one features a regular band in support with long-time collaborateur Ray Russell on guitars, Alan Rushton on drums, and Daryl Runswick on bass, plus a variety of reed players.

If you've already discovered Bill Fay, this is worth investigating, but I'd suggest you start with either his first album Bill Fay ~ Remastered with Bonus Tracks, or his current 'Life is People'. Either way, it's a fascinating and original musical journey.
on 8 August 2012
I have also reviewed Bill Fay's eponymous album on Amazon and if you're looking at this album I'd suggest you have a peep at that too. Anyone who is a fan of Bob Dylan will probably love this album, and even though I am not a Dylan fan myself, I love this album so much! Such great tracks, and even better than the 'Bill Fay' album. Youtube the few tracks that are available and check for yourself. The mixing of big band backing with simple folk style guitar seems odd, but think of Mumford and Sons, or Cherry Ghost and you get the idea. Superb album and one of my top 5 of all time.
on 1 August 2015
Excellent record, vastly underrated singer/songwriter. Delivered pretty quickly and well packed.
on 27 January 2015
first rate
on 29 April 2013
THIS ALBUM RELEASED IN 1971 ON DERAM.IS ONE OF THE GREAT ALBUMS OF THE PERIOD .NOT POPULAR AT THE TIME OF RELEASE IT NO 40YRS LATER EARNED CULT STATUS AND RIGHTLY SO.ON EVERY TRACK BILL FAY GIVES GREAT PERFORMANCES .I RECOMMEND THIS ALBUM
on 28 July 2014
All perfect, thanks
on 17 March 2011
I had never heard of this and then it was a featured album on BBC Radio 6. Marvellous. Great tunes. Great lyrics. Straight into my top 10.