4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all primary school children today.
I bought this game because I was struggling to help my daughter with maths homework. I have finished school 30 years ago! I figured as my daughter loves her ds this game would fit in well. I also have a private tutor once a week, and she thought this game was a great idea and would benefit all children of Primary school age. She was appalled that schools are not teaching...
Published on 5 April 2008 by T. Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some entry error issues
The Good: This has some really good maths testing and training facilities with just about the right level of difficulty. Ideal for someone who just likes testing themselves or for someone that needs to improve their maths skills.

The Bad: This requires the answers to be handwrittend with the stylus. For some users this will mean you write the correct answer...
Published on 10 Feb 2008 by C. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for improving mental arithmetic, 16 Nov 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Bought this game as my 12 year old is still struggling with times tables. Too much reliance on calculators and kids today can't do simple mental arithmetic any more. If this is your problem then this game is likely to help, especially if you can motivate too. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems to be done in your head and quickly. Presented in a way that is reasonably fun, addictive and motivates you to do more and get better, but it's no competition for the PS3 and GTA4!! Some irritations like problems in recognising some writing, though you improve with time, and too much time wasted between games, though you can tap your way through.

2.0 out of 5 stars A dip in quality, 29 Feb 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This is the latest in a series of games designed to help improve your cognitive skills, in this case by testing basic maths skills, encouraging you to become faster and more accurate at every day maths problems.
The hundred cell method is mildy interesting, but overall this game is dissapointing. It is nowhere near as fun as the other brain training games, and the games you play are quite boring. Obviously it was always going to be a bit one dimensional given that it concentrates on maths where other games focus on various abilities, but that is no excuse for the lack of imagination on display here and controls that require nothing except writing numbers. A poor use of DS technology, and completely inessential for anyone with the original games.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent purchase!, 3 Feb 2009
Trong Linh Nguyen (Turku, Finland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I wanted to buy some useful (brain)game for my kids as a Christmas present. Together with the kids we looked at Amazon's pages. We saw this product and searched info from the advertising and also from the other customers' reviews. This turned out to be a very favourite game of my kids. They like the game very much and do it everyday as a part of their homeworks. In fact, my kids have said, that their counting skill has been improved (my kids are in grades 3 and 4). Also my daughter's handwriting (at least for numbers) has been more accurate, too, since she's got to write the answers more accurately, in order to be taken correctly. I'm very happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars only got it today, but so far so good, 9 Feb 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I really like this. It is very positive and encouraging & I found the games fun. I deliberately didn't dpend ages practising the games tho as that is how I have ended up bored with other similar (ish) software.

happy with my ourchase, it isn't identical to brain training, but will appeal to anyone who likes that title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maths Training for DS, 28 Dec 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my 7 yr old daughter who has learning difficulties as she loved playing my brain training ( but was of course too hard for her ).
She has played with this and enjoys it , there are some parts that are suitable for her now and others she will be able to develop with. Thought it was good value for money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the training I'd expected, 21 Oct 2009
J. Richardson "Buch Biographer" (Bremen, Germany) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the Brain Training 'game' with my new DSi and added this later thinking that it would be a good accompaniment. I was badly disappointed. It started me off on basic timestables which I inevitably got wrong as, as pointed out by many others reviewing this, my '5s' were interpreted as 1s, 7s and 3s and my 9s as 4s! Unless your handwriting is exact (and sometimes we in Europe don't write digits the same way as Japanese or Americans) you find yourself spending time 'correcting' mistakes and inevitable gaining time penalties and incurring the patronising remarks of the 'Professor'.

I enjoyed the maths challenges in Brain Training (which also has handwriting issues but not to the same extent as this game)which is why I bought this but there is no trainig involved. I get more out of reading a book. I advise people to avoid this and spend the money on a tome of useful mathematics problems instead. Far more educational, and less irritating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unchallenging and annoying, 2 Oct 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bught this game to improve my maths skills; overall I was very disappointed. As others have said the handwriting recognition is attrocious. I have very good handwriting and still this game interprets the numbers wrong; this game seems to have one set way of drawing each number and if you don't use that way then your answer will be misinterpreted.

The handwriting recognition is nowhere near as precise as other games such as Brain Training etc.

As for the actual game content, this game is unchallenging to say the least. You are held back at a low stage for several days before you are allowed to progress, there is no way round this even if you leave the game for several days and come back you still have wait until you have "attended class" before you can progress.

Others have suggested this game is directed at Kids, but to be such a title it is very unforgiving - I would not buy this fo my child as it would likely annoy and frustrate them.

As an alternative I would suggest Brain Training or More Brain Training or Big Brain Academy all are worthy substitutes and overall superior titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars My review of the game, 7 Mar 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
An excellent game that will help the young and the old ( thats me!)It is fun easy to use,but aims to improve your skills at all levels. I recommend that you find a quiet corner initially to read,digest and follow the instructions, then you wont want to put it down! ENJOY!!
Louise Searle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Training, 11 Feb 2009
Janice Maxwell ""Gran"" (Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great game if you enjoy numbers. It is really good for getting the grey matter working if you are a "Senior" player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number Writting Problems, 22 Mar 2009
TJ (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I would like to address the negative reviews on the games ability to identify the numbers we write on the screen....the problem is not actually the fault of the game (what! you say) well we have more than one DS in ours household and on one DS we have no problem with the writing and it recognises our numbers, and on the other it is a nightmare!!! so actually it all comes down to how good your personal DS is.

DS buffs be reassured I have resynced the DS it is not reading the writing on!

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)

Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS)
11.90