4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all primary school children today.
Published on 5 April 2008 by T. Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some entry error issues
The Good: This has some really good maths testing and training facilities with just about the right level of difficulty. Ideal for someone who just likes testing themselves or for someone that needs to improve their maths skills.

Published on 10 Feb 2008 by C. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some entry error issues, 10 Feb 2008
C. Thomas (Weston super Mare) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

The Bad: This requires the answers to be handwrittend with the stylus. For some users this will mean you write the correct answer but the program will see it as a different number. I have a massive problem with 9 which gets read as a 0 or a 2 and quite often 8 gets mistaken for a 2 or a 6. This can be really infuriating. A better implimentation would have been to have a touchpad imput for the right answer rather than a written one.
If you have bad handwriting go for Big Brain Academy instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS), 25 Feb 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Overall this game provides very useful practice for times tables, multiplication, subtraction, division & addition - and seems to be particularly appealing to children who are addicted to their DS :-)

The daily test is short enough (c. 5 minutes)to make it 'fun' for primary school children & so can be done before going to school - eg over breakfast?. It was used daily in our house during the recent school half term - with no prompting from me!

Agree with earlier posting about the fact that their writing is not always recognised - my bete noir is the number 4! I guess practice makes perfect.....

Would prefer for the game to include progression charts (so child/children can see over time how they have improved ) and include name of person who holds the time record for each event a la Brain Training game - for those with a competitive streak.

Minor gripe: colours of medals should be a bit more distinct, colourwise (bronze and gold are very similar)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids - patronising for adults, 24 Oct 2008
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This game is strongly based on the Kumagai method which originated in Japan - with lots of repitition in the basics, leading to graduation through the levels. As such, it is great for primary School children, helping them to revise and develop their basic numerical skiils. However, i have some gripes.

1. The 'professor' is extremely patronising in his attitude - which would put a large number of children off

2. You have to start at a very basic level and repeat some very simple exercises for 5 days before being allowed to progress. it would be far better if it could start you off with a simple assessment to judge what level it introduced you at - i nearly threw the whole thing away after 3 days of baby flashcards!

3. Because you have to write in the digits manually, they are often misinterpreted - whcih slows you down considerably. I find my '3's and '2's are constantly being interpreted as '1's! Incredibly frustrating!

Basically, this is nowhere near as good as the Brain training games and is not really worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all primary school children today., 5 April 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game because I was struggling to help my daughter with maths homework. I have finished school 30 years ago! I figured as my daughter loves her ds this game would fit in well. I also have a private tutor once a week, and she thought this game was a great idea and would benefit all children of Primary school age. She was appalled that schools are not teaching kids their times tables like they used to. When they do they;re only teaching up to tens, not twelves like we used to.This game demonstrates maths like it used to be taught. Same techniques for add, subtraction and multiplication are used in this game. What a relief! These days they teach kids 4 different ways of calculating sums hoping that at least one method will sink in. Success rates are low in our schools. So I would recommend this game 100 per cent. I dont feel like I;m bullying her to get it done because she loves her ds. Have to agree with previous statements made about game not recognising certain numbers.All brain training programmes have same infuriating fault.Try speaking the colours on the first brain train programme and you;ll see what I mean. Seems to relate to womens voices better.

4.0 out of 5 stars good math practice, 24 Feb 2009
K. Spielmann (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My 7 year old son and I do the Daily Test on the Maths Training nearly every day. Although they are very easy for an adult, it is good practice and fun to try to do the test as quickly as possible. It is ideal math practice for my 7 year old son, enabling him to practice a little math in less than 5 minutes, starting easy and gradually getting more challenging. He also does Practice Exercises occassionally to reinforce the math he is learning at school, for example a specific number in the times tables. He was reluctant to play Maths Training at first (after all, it isn't exactly Pokemon) but when I joined in and sat next to him at first for a bit of encouragement and help if he got frustrated, he started to enjoy doing this for a few minutes most days.
My 5 year daughter is not quite ready to use this for learning, although she wants to. When she has a better understanding of adding and subtracting numbers to 10 she will be able to start using this to practice and improve.
I would recommend this for children above age 6 as a way to practice, improve and enjoy a bit of daily maths including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and for adults wishing to brush up on these areas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Boredom, 12 Dec 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Playing games for the Nintendo DS is always a fun thing to do but this game was perhaps one of those I wish I never had.

It is a similar sort of game to the Brain training and Sight Training games which require you to increase your skills and knowledge with mathematics.

The game is like a chore you need to do by returning each day to try and increase how quickly you can complete the equations given to you and also to make sure you unlock new sort of questions.

You arrive day one and have some simple maths equations to complete. These are done in three various challenges and after you have done those you have to wait until the following day until you can take part again.

You have to do the same challenges for five days and then you advance to the next level and have more equations to do. You have to take part in addition, subtraction, division and multiplication questions.

The game begins easy and gets harder as you continue to play, however not that hard. I am terrible with maths and I found it very easy to go along with and after a month I was on level 6 and it was not getting more difficult.

It is a boring game because it is repetitive and most people have strong and weak points in maths. I am bad at division yet those questions are very rare to see on the game. Your not able to pick which sort of questions or subject areas you might like to explore and gain better knowledge about.

I think the way it is designed is poor for a game there is no enjoyment to be made out of this game and it very slow at times and lacklustre. There is no range of colours or anything to make you excited.

I have found it to offer poor game play as well because writing numbers into the boxes can be tough as some numbers get confused. A 3 and an 8 are always coming out wrong and if your to quick for the game you end up losing time.

The main aim is to get quicker times each day as well as learning better mathematical knowledge, I feel this game does not do either of those.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it but the motion sickness may win!, 3 Jun 2008
K. Dennis - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game today as maths is a weak point and I've really enjoyed the Brain Training games. This game is everything I expected it to be but after 10 minutes I'm suffering with bad motion sickness! The background is orange with little boxes that move horizontally from left to right on both screens and all the exercises have this behind so there is no escape!!

There are options to turn the annoying music and sound effects off but all you have to do to stop that is turn the volume down! You'd of thought they would have an option to stop the annoying background moving!

It's a shame because I may have to get rid of this game before my subconscious associates sickness with maths!!!

Conclusion: If you want basic maths training and don't suffer with motion sickness get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Training, 19 Mar 2009
R. Waddington (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for ten year olds to use at school. They love it and are very motivated to improve their maths skills.

2.0 out of 5 stars How did the handwriting recognition get by quality control?, 1 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The main point I want anyone to take away from this review is that the handwritng recogniton feature in this is absolutley TERRIBLE. The DS keeps mistaking my 5s for 4s and 2s for 7s and many other problems. I am lucky if one try out of 10 sees me successfully doing a challenge in a time I class as fair because it is constantly asking me to re-enter numbers. No matter how good this game is in principle, this has totally ruined my enjoyment of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for developing mental maths skilla, 29 Nov 2008
Iain Bell (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I am a primary school Head Teacher and bought this game with the intention of buying several copies for use in the classroom. I am extremely impressed as it covers many more mental maths strategies than the description suggests. My seven year old son did find it difficult to form some of the numbers correctly, but with a little practise he was getting used to it. A minor grumble is that I think the target times a little too fast for many children, but they are rewarded with Bronze, Silver of Gold medals regardless of their time. I will definitely be trying to budget for the purchase of this game for use by pupils from P3 to P7.

Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS)
9.95