on 10 October 2014
I am huge total war fan; I had Med 1, Rome 1, Med 2, Empire and now Rome 2.

I find that this game, along with the expansions, is the most polished and smooth of them all.
The scope that the expansions bring is unbelievable and for the price, there is a fantastic amount of playtime to be had.

If you are new to the Total war games, this is a great starter.
If you are an old hand at them then this is a must have!

I would thoroughly recommend.

Cheers
on 5 August 2013
(First of all, I haven't played the in-game battle scenarios much so I won't comment on them. I was actually pleasantly surprised, however, that the battle scenarios played fairly well on my "surplus-to-requirements" laptop, and the map-based play runs as smooth as any game I own, so I wouldn't let requirement issues put you off too much if you're borderline, and aren't so interested in the battles like me).

Not played this series before, but saw a friend playing it, and found this affordable bundle on amazon (purchased at £7.02).

For that price-tag, compared to other similar products right now, this is essentially a gamer's must buy item!

The gameplay is addictive, and 5-10 hours can flash by all too quickly. That said, once you get over the initial buzz, it feels like the sort of thing that you can pick up anytime you have 30 mins + to yourself.

The engine is well-presented with very few interface issues, the basic strategy is very easy to learn, and yet the gameplay offers a deep and varied mix of warfare tactics vs the AI, management of your kingdom, and all the ups and downs in your exchanges with other kingdoms to keep you engaged... Now back to my current to-and-fro exchange with those English [BLEEP]-ers in the Pyrenees...!
on 14 September 2012
It's been many years since I last bought a Total War product (Rome TW). Finally I have the technology capable of running this massive heap of brilliant games all in one box. Hoorah! It runs a treat on my HP Pavilion G6 but unfortunately has all the potential that Rome TW had for turning me back into a mouse clicking social recluse living on beer and pizzas in a darkened room. Oh dear. Wonderful stuff, lovingly created and presented.
on 13 October 2014
Excellent game, this is a lot more fun than I expected I spent ages playing all the different factions. The campaign map has a variety of functions and allows to take over the world with enough hours spent on it. The in-game real time battlefield simulation is a lot of fun, you'll gradually work out more and more effective tactics as time goes on. It's truly addictive so be warned :)
on 26 December 2012
This game has taken so much of my time due to its re playability. The options are vast and with the great mod community even Lord of the rings is possible to play(third age mod). I must say that all the options one is given when owning a original copy of this game is huge. Buy this game and search for third age mod and you will understand why this game is the best of them all.
on 13 April 2013
An older game but given extended life by virtue of the Mods that are still being produced for it. The stability of the game was and still is excellent. I guess when this was released, a PC could do battles with 6000 men, these days I expect its 30,000 (I need a new PC but I can do 10,000 men smoothly). The quality of graphics in later Total War games was not significantly improved compared to this game (except perhaps the last - Shogun 2 - with the move to DX10)

Probably the most popular mod is currently "Third Age Total War", but there are hundreds out there, that just change text/data/sound files without needing to change executable code (i.e. the only kind I am prepared to execute). I suggest checking out you tube for examples.

From what I have read, later games in the Total War series are much less modable (and I won't touch cracked game code and suggest you don't either). So, that means this title will stay the focus for recreational modders for some time to come.

Join the scene - buy the game.
on 21 July 2011
Awesome game, great lores, worth every single penny.

Just download the 1.05 patch for the version you have and just take few days off work :D

Shame didn't knew this series earlier. A friend persuaded me to try Napoleon, and ended up playing every single TW ever came out. (Still Rome and Shogun 2 to go).
Thumbs up for another awesome UK made game.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2008
I do not think any words will do justice for this game, so I will keep this very short and to the point:
-Good things: everything really, graphics are superb, the strategy itself, the battles are just the best thing i have ever seen on a pc screen, extremely addictive game, i spent almost 9 hours on it when I first installed it, and the only thing that kept me from going on was having to go to work. Very enjoyable to play, and unlike other strategy games where you spend lots of time gathering resources then you lose in 10 seconds, this is something a lot more thought provoking, and needs some real skills.
Bad points: you need a very good PC to play this game, and a large amount of Rams, the more the better.
- Caused my PC to crash and freeze a couple of times (running on 1 Gig Ram)

This is by far the best, most enjoyable and addictive game in the market so far, and much better than the previous editions, cannot wait to get the new one coming soon. Get it now, but be warned, this will take your life away.
on 24 July 2013
This is a great game to play, i actually didn't buy it for the regular campaigns, instead i bought it for the Lord of the Rings Third age mod, which i would recommended to anyone out there! especially if you love the Lord of the rings film's, you can re-enact famous battles from the film like Helms deep, Mines Tirith and lots more! - As i say this is for the Third age mod, which if you want you have to buy this particular version of Total War!!... I havn't had a chance to try the actual campaigns, cos tbh i don't want to, but the graphics are great, and im running this on a laptop with naff intel internal graphics, which face it arn't the best, most new PC's and Laptops will be able to run this thing no problem at all. Havn't tried it in windows 8, but might stick it in the virtual machine i have going to see if it runs. I'd really recommend this game to people that like these sorta genres of games
on 31 January 2010
I have never played The Total War game before and I realy like it. You buy 1 game and you'll get 5 games, because Kingdom extention contains 4 separate games. For strategy fanatic it will be very good fun, because you can play on 2 platforms, stategic or/and tactic. I realy recommend it.